Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-03-2012, 05:40 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
The DA 21 gets a bit of flack for being slow (and indeed, it is slow for a prime), but the focal length is excellent and it is almost perfect wide open.
On topic, I find that FL very useful and the lens is good enough for me while not perfect. Could be a bit faster aperture-wise.

Off topic, what's the aperture math comparing an APS-C and a µ4/3 lens? Meaning what would be the equivalent µ4/3 lens? Something around 16mm but what aperture?

08-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
About the only complaint I have with my DA 21 LTD is it isn't WR. However, there are no LTD that are.
08-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
a rather recent discovery for me after being attached to my DA15 for a couple of years, the DA21 is every bit as good in quality as the 15 and has become my default wider lens. I always figured i could zoom with my feet to fill the gap between DA15 and FA31 but I had a few situations where that was impossible and I was holding the wrong tool for the job, so this guy caught my attention.

Knowing that technology dictates a faster lens is typically larger in size, i'd much rather save the space in my kit than have something larger for reasons i'd never utilize. As I am primarily a landscape shooter, I cannot relate to the comments that it is not fast enough, as I would never use it below f/8 anyhow, and it is faster than the DA15. So small, that both lenses stack in the same pouch on my photo vest, so they are always at the ready. I bought new from Adorama and got a good copy right off the bat, no focus issues, no IQ issues, etc.

I do wish ALL pentax lenses were WR and would probably pay a premium for that, but i get that not everyone needs this feature. Overall hightly recommended!

Last edited by mikeSF; 08-03-2012 at 07:43 AM.
08-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Is it true that you can screw a filter into the hood? Should I just go for a full sized filter and seperate hood(metal)?

08-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
The DA21 is a useless POS. Even the DA*16-50 zoom is faster than it.
I know this is a troll, but I'll take the bait.

All the DA Ltds work well wide open, with maximum sharpness and especially minimal CA. You cannot say the same about the DA*16-50, even when it is stopped down to f/3.2. Which is only a fraction of a stop difference.

Unless you are intentionally trying to shoot soft, or chase bokeh, which is unlikely with a 21 mm, the f/3.2 max aperture is well suited for its purposes. If you are trying to shoot in low light, then I'd agree that this lens, just like any other lens, could be faster.
08-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ladybug Quote
@kenafein: pardon me asking....how do you determine that the DOF is "thick"? This is a f3.2 lens...isnt this a large aperture lens already?

@twitch: FA31 is good no doubt but the price is beyond my budget....plus i want the macro cability of the DA35 Ltd
I'm sure you've had your answer by now, but the wider the field of view, the thicker the DOF. The larger the number the smaller the aperture. When a lens is set at a large F-stop, small aperture, the DOF also increases. The DA21 starts off with a relatively small aperture and so the DOF is pretty thick for this lens. I am selling mine to move into mirrorless, but I do have a return policy .
08-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Is it true that you can screw a filter into the hood? Should I just go for a full sized filter and seperate hood(metal)?
Yes, the hood takes a filter internally. I have a B+W in there. Since I sometimes get relatively close to things, I look at it as an extra layer of protection. I would either use no filter or a very very good quality one.

08-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #38
Pentaxian

I guess I should add my sample page... click here.

On the street....

or landscape...

The DA 18-135 is my walk around lens. But I'll change to the 21 anytime I'm near it's focal length with a shot. If it doesn't fit anywhere else, I'm comfortable with it in my top pocket.
08-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Yes, the hood takes a filter internally. I have a B+W in there. Since I sometimes get relatively close to things, I look at it as an extra layer of protection. I would either use no filter or a very very good quality one.
What size filter?
08-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
What size filter?
43mm
49mm without the hood

i dont own any 43mm filters so i just remove the hood when i need the filter and use a small 49mm generic hood over that.
08-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,

I am using a Kx with DA15, DA35 Macro and DA70.

I don't shoot sports...mostly some portraits, landscape, nature, etc.

I am thinking to get another lens to add to my setup and have been looking at the DA21.

What do you guys think? would u guys consider this lens if u already have the lenses like I do?

thanks
ladybug
I also had the same three DA ltds as you have now, and then I added the DA21ltd a year and a half ago. It is now easily the most used of my ltds, without replacing any of the others. Well, I suppose it means I use the 15mm less, but have to do less cropping, and now use the 15ltd only when I need the really wide perspective. These four are a really good combo. My most common set of primes are now the DA15ltd+DA21ltd+DA35ltd+DA70ltd+FA135/2.8. The compact version is to go with just the DA21 and the DA70, one on the camera and one in a pocket.
08-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #42

Original Poster
Thanks for all the helpful recommendations. I have made up my mind to go for it
08-03-2012, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Welcome to the forums. Anytime you are uncertain if you should buy a particular lens, just ask this forum, and we will always say yes.

words to live by.
08-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #44

Original Poster
Just randomly checking for the best deals....is USD495 for a new DA21 inclusive of shipping the best price u reckon?

B&H Photo is selling for USD 583.66 inclusive of shipping.
08-04-2012, 06:30 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Just randomly checking for the best deals....is USD495 for a new DA21 inclusive of shipping the best price u reckon?

B&H Photo is selling for USD 583.66 inclusive of shipping.
USD 549 i beleive at B&H isnt it?

At Adorama it's listed as 649 USD and then when you click it into the cart it comes up as 539 USD , so 10bucks cheaper than B&H