Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #1

DA*50-135 SDM failure, how much to repair?

I did not use this lens for couple of months and when I use it yesterday, I found it was not auto focusing.

I tried to replace new batteries for my K200D, but the SDM still failure. If I sent the lens back to Pentax, usually, how much will they cost to repair the SDM? I see a lot of SDM failure in the forum, I am afraid it will failure again after repair.

08-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Be patient, someone will reply
08-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Actually be patient might be an answer, i've heard stories about the SDM locking up after a time not using sometimes they start to come alive again.

I would suggest manual focus the lens a couple of times to free the sealing a bit, making it run slightly smoother and keep trying.
Throw in some lithium batteries, the slightly higher voltage might give it a kick start.

You can open up the back of the lens and access the motor if you feel daring...
08-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
50-135 SDM failure

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Actually be patient might be an answer, i've heard stories about the SDM locking up after a time not using sometimes they start to come alive again.

I would suggest manual focus the lens a couple of times to free the sealing a bit, making it run slightly smoother and keep trying.
Throw in some lithium batteries, the slightly higher voltage might give it a kick start.

Happened once to my 60-250, manually focused a couple times, been fine ever since.

08-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote

Thanks, actually the SDM failed before, I replaced my K200D with new batteries and after several mins charging, the lens could recover, but this time, I let the lens charging for a while day, and it's still dead, so I am thinking the SDM totally dead this time.
08-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One silly trick is to put the lens on a AF film camera and focus with it. That supposed to move the screw drive in the lens and 'may' resolve the issue.
08-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddy16112 Quote
Thanks, actually the SDM failed before, I replaced my K200D with new batteries and after several mins charging, the lens could recover, but this time, I let the lens charging for a while day, and it's still dead, so I am thinking the SDM totally dead this time.
You dont charge anything in the lens the motor inside the lens is directly driven by the camera so that doesnt work.
Normal batteries give you 1,5 volt each and rechargable give you 1,2 volt, lithium give you 1,7 volt and that boost might give it the oophf it need.

08-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
One silly trick is to put the lens on a AF film camera and focus with it. That supposed to move the screw drive in the lens and 'may' resolve the issue.
Doesnt work.
There is a clutch inside the AF mechanisms so if you turn for example the focus ring you don't turn the screw-drive or the SDM motor and it work other way around as well. Would be very bad if you use the SDM that it would turn the motor inside the camera as well.
08-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I paid 300 bucks for repair my 16-50
but mine seems not only for SDM repair

this is the service they did
clean and repair sand/grit type substance
replace SDM auto focus motor
replace main circuit
repair and adjust electrical circuit
replace misc. electrical parts
general cleaning and lubrication
check and adjust all function to specifications
re-estimate: need to replace main PCB as well
08-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I paid $300 to fix the SDM on my DA*60-250. That's what Pentax Canada quoted me for a repair, but they ended up replacing the lens with a newer one.
08-01-2012, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My 50-135's SDM got busted and I never bothered to fix it. I just use it as manual focus only because I like the optics so much. I ain't gonna give another penny to Pentax over this. They can kiss my
08-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My 50-135 is at the CR Kennedy (Pentax Australian distributor) getting SDM repaired as we speak. Lucky for me the lens had 5 weeks remaining on warranty. I'm not sure if I'll sell or keep it when it returns.
08-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
My 50-135 is at the CR Kennedy (Pentax Australian distributor) getting SDM repaired as we speak. Lucky for me the lens had 5 weeks remaining on warranty. I'm not sure if I'll sell or keep it when it returns.
Doesn't Pentax give another 6 month warranty after the repair? Or do they not do that and I heard it wrong?
08-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Doesn't Pentax give another 6 month warranty after the repair? Or do they not do that and I heard it wrong?
mine only got 90 days after repair.
08-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
mine only got 90 days after repair.
Ah man that sucks big time. So discouraging for my DA* 50-135 though I love it to death.