Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What would you do if you experience a SDM failure of a $800+ lens?
I have experienced it, still with Pentax 1633.33%
I have experienced it, left Pentax 24.17%
I will stay with Pentax 1429.17%
I do not know what I would do 1327.08%
I left Pentax because of fear in SDM failure 36.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What would you do if you experience a SDM failure of a $800+ lens?

I know that the options for I have experienced it, left Pentax and I left Pentax because of fear in SDM failure is certain to be inaccurate due to the fact that members have left before they could vote on the poll.

I forgot the option, I will leave Pentax. So if you want to click that option, just kindly check I left Pentax because of fear of SDM failure.

Last edited by LeDave; 08-02-2012 at 10:38 AM.
08-01-2012, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have eliminated the potential of the failure, by not acquiring any SMD lenses.

08-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I'm in a funny spot not liking SDM in theory (based on other people's complaints), however, my Sigma 150-500 has the equivalent HSM, and in fact the serial number is in the range that Sigma mentioned may have a possible focusing (or lack of it) problem. Fortunately, I have not experienced an issue, and it came with a 6-year (I think) warranty.
08-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I have eliminated the potential of the failure, by not acquiring any SMD lenses.

Ditto here. Just have the DC 18-135 with its 0 failure rate

08-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

+1
It is a pity that the option could not be added to the poll. It would have been interesting IMHO.
08-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would fill it with mysterious white powder then ship it back to their Japan headquarter as special gift, if I would ever buy my first SDM. Any donor?
08-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

+1, bitten once, I will never purchase SDM glass again

08-02-2012, 02:11 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
+1, I knew there was a reason for me being still manual only
08-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have experienced it. The out come is until it is shown the problem no longer exists or Pentax offers an extended warranty to cover it, I won't buy any more SDM lenses. Using it as an excuse to jump ship seems a bit extreme to me though.
08-02-2012, 06:11 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At this point I am pretty invested in Pentax, I own several (three) SDM lenses and if they broke, I would definitely just go ahead and fix them. I do hope that eventually Pentax releases DA * lenses with a better drive system, but for the time being, the optics are worth it to me and I would go ahead and get them fixed.

The DA *16-50 is the weakest one, but it is also one that is sort of the best range (and I have a six year Mack Warranty on it), so I wouldn't have any choice but to get it fixed.
08-02-2012, 06:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
It is a pity that the option could not be added to the poll.
+1.

Without the option "Stay with Pentax, but avoid their SDM lenses,"
it's hard to enter the poll and not skew the results.
08-02-2012, 06:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Another baseless SDM bashing thread.... a concept for you people. Buy only from dealers that offer extended warranties, and look at it as part of the purchase price of the lens. If that makes the lens too expensive, then move to another manufacturer that offers better warranties for less money. Or get Tamrons or other lenses that have better warranties.

SDM as an excuse for changing systems is just silly. People who are interested in changing systems can find better reasons than SDM, especially since there are so many non-SDM pentax lenses available.

SO what would you do if you experienced a motor failure on a Canon or Nikon system, would you then switch to Pentax? If that's the case, because of Pentax's small market share there would be a lot more people switching from Canon and Nikon than going the other way.

Oh , and I own an SDM lens and have never experienced a failure.. where's my check box? Oh ya, this isn't designed to be anything but a Canikon supporting Pentax bashing thread.
08-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Norm, What I said was simple, I eliminated the source of the failure by not purchasing the product. I really do not need f2.8 and screwdrive is just fine for me. The fewer sources of failure, the better. The purpose of lenses is the collection and focusing of the light. I also purchase few if any warranties with any products I acquire. They should last. Pentax tossed in the 2 year extended warranty with my K20 and for the $20 its a wonderful deal - which I took advantage of for my K5. If Pentax would offer the same coverage for lenses - I probably would participate if I had the need to purchased the lens.

One of the primary reasons I continued with Pentax into digital, was the in-body stabilization (I still have my Spotmatic from 1970). Keeps the lenses' design much simpler. I can't see having stabilization and focusing circuity/motors within a lens - that is putting way too much additional capability into a lens that is guaranteed to fail some place down the line. 5, 10, 15 years in the future, will parts still be available? I don't know. Lenses tend to be forever, so keeping them as simple and straight forward as possible, just helps to ensure that.

Pentax needs to continue to keep the screwdrive capability within their body designs. So far its been a very dependable system. Others have removed screwdrive from their entry level models, forcing you to either all manual or buying motor driven auto focus lenses. That has the same results of lack of choice.

Don't need it , don't want it, so I didn't get it....

08-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Another baseless SDM bashing thread.... a concept for you people. Buy only from dealers that offer extended warranties, and look at it as part of the purchase price of the lens. If that makes the lens too expensive, then move to another manufacturer that offers better warranties for less money. Or get Tamrons or other lenses that have better warranties.

SDM as an excuse for changing systems is just silly. People who are interested in changing systems can find better reasons than SDM, especially since there are so many non-SDM pentax lenses available.

SO what would you do if you experienced a motor failure on a Canon or Nikon system, would you then switch to Pentax? If that's the case, because of Pentax's small market share there would be a lot more people switching from Canon and Nikon than going the other way.

Oh , and I own an SDM lens and have never experienced a failure.. where's my check box? Oh ya, this isn't designed to be anything but a Canikon supporting Pentax bashing thread.
The interesting thing is that Canon/Nikon lenses have an additional complexity, which is that they have VR/IS in many of their lenses. I know several individuals who have had to send their lenses in for repair due to VR/IS problems. The more bells and whistles on a lens, the more likely that something will fail. That said, I don't think lens motor or VR problems would be a reason to change to a different company, unless there were other areas where you were dissatisfied with your equipment.
08-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I forgot the option I will leave Pentax, wow what a fail.