Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #1

Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro AF (PENTAX)

I am going to take a risk and ask a very silly question - can I use Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro AF (PENTAX) as a regular zoom lens ( not for macro photography?)

08-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It is not a silly question and the answer is yes. It is a very good lens.
08-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As he said, its a fine lense and high value for what you get. I find it among the sharpest of my 18 or so and my fav for garden shooting. However in spite of its ability to focus close enough for big bugs and small flowers, it is by no means a true Macro. That word unfortunately is a marketing tool for most zoom lenses as they do not approach true macro magnification. There is a formal forum review comparing the Tammy to the equivalent Sigma and Pentax zooms you may wish to read here --->
Fast Sports Zoom Lenses for Pentax - 70-200mm Sigma & Tamron - PentaxForums.com
08-02-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes, its a fast, solid performing, and sharp lens that is also long and heavy.

08-02-2012, 06:14 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
As he said, its a fine lense and high value for what you get. I find it among the sharpest of my 18 or so and my fav for garden shooting. However in spite of its ability to focus close enough for big bugs and small flowers, it is by no means a true Macro. That word unfortunately is a marketing tool for most zoom lenses as they do not approach true macro magnification. There is a formal forum review comparing the Tammy to the equivalent Sigma and Pentax zooms you may wish to read here --->
Fast Sports Zoom Lenses for Pentax - 70-200mm Sigma & Tamron - PentaxForums.com
Exactly. Pentax won't use the term "macro" on a lens unless it can reproduce 1:1, but Sigma and Tamron seem to indicate the ability to focus relatively close by the term "macro." These lenses aren't true macros by any means and are better for non-macro purposes (often image quality will go down a little bit at minimum focus distance for these lenses).
08-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for your answers, I really appreciate your time. I read "imtheguy" link to the comparison of the lenses and it looks like Sigma is my girl. BUT, I want to make sure it will autofocus on my humble K200? The more I read the more confused I get, what is a SDM lens and does my k200 support it? The lens I would like to rent is: Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II, since I cannot find :"Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 APO EX DG OS HSM". I am assuming they are both good? Thank you again, I feel like I am in a maze.
08-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by milka Quote
Thank you for your answers, I really appreciate your time. I read "imtheguy" link to the comparison of the lenses and it looks like Sigma is my girl. BUT, I want to make sure it will autofocus on my humble K200? The more I read the more confused I get, what is a SDM lens and does my k200 support it? The lens I would like to rent is: Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II, since I cannot find :"Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 APO EX DG OS HSM". I am assuming they are both good? Thank you again, I feel like I am in a maze.
SDM is an electromagnet method of focusing the lens instead of the older screw drive that has the motor in the camera body. It is quieter but direct comparisons with real data do not support that it is inherently faster than the screwdrive. My perspective is that the more electronics that are crammed into the lens body the more chances for it to fail. Add to that the Sigma is considerably more expensive than the Tamron and I took the Tamron 70-200/2.8 as my choice.
08-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am going to take a risk and ask a very silly question - can I use Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro AF (PENTAX) as a regular zoom lens ( not for macro photography?)
Here's a tip: Make sure you buy a uv filter for this lens. It collects dust by vacuuming through the gap between the front inner barrel and sides of the front element. Adding a filter blocks the gap off and greatly reduces or eliminates dust specks going inside the front element of this lens

08-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

BUT, I want to make sure it will autofocus on my humble K200?
Yes, according to the chart on Pentax Cameras | Pentax K200D vs. Pentax K-30 vs. Pentax K-01 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com it does appear that SDM type AF is supported by the K200D so it should work with this lens.
08-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The lens I would like to rent is: Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II, since I cannot find :"Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 APO EX DG OS HSM". I am assuming they are both good?
There was just a recent discussion on all 3 lenses [the tamron and both sigma's] - you can read through [linked thread] to get a general idea of performance between the three using the provided links in this thread -> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/193173-70-200mm.html
08-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Exactly. Pentax won't use the term "macro" on a lens unless it can reproduce 1:1, but Sigma and Tamron seem to indicate the ability to focus relatively close by the term "macro." These lenses aren't true macros by any means and are better for non-macro purposes (often image quality will go down a little bit at minimum focus distance for these lenses).
Every lens manufacturers played fast and loose with the term macro to describe close focusing capability, just about every Pentax F zoom lenses had macro setting marked in green.
08-03-2012, 01:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Pentax won't use the term "macro" on a lens unless it can reproduce 1:1
Pentax used it on my A 100mm f/4 macro lens, which can only do 1:2 magnification
11-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Here's a tip: Make sure you buy a uv filter for this lens. It collects dust by vacuuming through the gap between the front inner barrel and sides of the front element. Adding a filter blocks the gap off and greatly reduces or eliminates dust specks going inside the front element of this lens
It also reduces IQ if left on when in use. Modern lenses don't require filters per-se unlike the older models as lens coatings aren't as good as modern optics, thus using UV or other 'protective' filters reduces IQ especially on telephoto lenses. They're OK for storage and movement, but not for use on the camera as IQ is degraded.

The Tamron 70-200/2.8 is an excellent fast tele-zoom, and it's Achilles heel is it's AF speed and focusing in anything other than decent light conditions (it tends to hunt). The plus side is price (especially on the used market), IQ, colour reproduction and build quality, though apart from colour, the Sigma equivalent beats it as it's a faster lens physically, though a shade more expensive.
11-19-2012, 12:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

As a previous tammy 70200 user, I would like to share some experience here:
First of all, the tammy 70200 is a good lens. I think you can get one from Ebay as refurbished around $650. Build Quality is good, and for 2.8 aperture, nothing can beat it.
And siggy has one around 1100; Pentax's 50-135 (serve the 70200's original intention) should be the similar price. With the extra 500, you can do lots of things.
The image is okey. I haven't used any other tele lens except fa77, f100-300, and current 55 300.
fa77: I only used couple hours. Can't tell the difference at 70mm end really.
F100-300. the tammy is way more better.
However the problem is, it is too big, bulky and heavy. Unless you want to let yourself be a pro---or at least look like a pro------I don't think this is the best choice. And putting 5 pounds things on your neck is not a smart idea, if you just use it on a daily basis.
My suggestion is, order a da 55-300 and try couple things: 1)whether you like the similar focus length or not, and 2) can it satisfy you.
Sometimes a F2.8 and IF would improve your photography passion ans skill a lot.
IMO.
11-19-2012, 12:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

And these are the pic taken by da 55 300. I'm satisfied by its price, handle and IQ.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo