Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was having for a short time Nikkor 55 2.8, try it! I have never experienced such a sharp macro adventures, even with the DFA 50 2.8 when I tried it in the shop. It was not very good performer when closed down to F11 or more, but at wider apertures - crazy sharp! It was so good, I have sold it so hard but the reason I picked it up was shooting film instead of scan it with scanner and the lens was with huge problem in the filter thread so... I sold it to search for another one. Now I use the M 50 1.7 for the job but it is not that good in macro! The nikkor was with 8 bladed aperture and the render was so nice, so much 3D, so contrasty and the colors... great lens!!!

I was using it on my K200 without modifications, it fits almost good. Doesn't fell off but doesn't stand 100% secure too. The modification is very simple but I sold it...

08-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
I got my (mint) copy yesterday and took it out for a few hurried test shots. What can I say? Spectacular. Bokeh is a bit nervous in macro mode, but not bad. Sharpness? Uber-sharpness at all apertures, corner to corner. I think it'll make a great landscape lens.

And it's unbelievably small for a macro lens... I had a Vivitar 55mm macro (well, it was faster: f2.8), which was huge by comparison--reason for my selling it. The Pentax M is a keeper: I can actually have it with me to use it
I have a photo that shows my peculiar copies of these lenses side by side:
08-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I got my (mint) copy yesterday and took it out for a few hurried test shots. What can I say? Spectacular. Bokeh is a bit nervous in macro mode, but not bad. Sharpness? Uber-sharpness at all apertures, corner to corner. I think it'll make a great landscape lens.

And it's unbelievably small for a macro lens... I had a Vivitar 55mm macro (well, it was faster: f2.8), which was huge by comparison--reason for my selling it. The Pentax M is a keeper: I can actually have it with me to use it
While the Vivitar is much bigger compared to the M50/4, the f2.8 is critical for those who use that lens for indoor portrait, while at f4 the M50 is way too slow for indoor. I have both in several copies and would adding more to my collection if I could.
08-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
While the Vivitar is much bigger compared to the M50/4, the f2.8 is critical for those who use that lens for indoor portrait, while at f4 the M50 is way too slow for indoor. I have both in several copies and would adding more to my collection if I could.
Aren't there lots of fifities faster than 2.8? I have a K 55/1.8 for portraits.

08-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Yes, back in the "old days" a 50 wasn't considered "fast" unless it was <f2.0. Pentax has various f1.2, f1.4, f1.7 50s across their lines from the days of the Super Taks.
08-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #21
Pentaxian

True there are plenty of 55mm faster than 2.8 but at 1:2 or 1:1 macro I believe 2.8 is the fastest.
08-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member

True there are plenty of 55mm faster than 2.8 but at 1:2 or 1:1 macro I believe 2.8 is the fastest.
QuoteQuote:
... the f2.8 is critical for those who use that lens for indoor portrait...
So, you use the Vivitar for indoor portrait in macro mode?
08-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #23
Pentaxian

So, you use the Vivitar for indoor portrait in macro mode?
I think you know what I meant but to be blunt-free here is my point.

Such lens like Vivitar 55/2.8 with 1:1 macro has that flexibility to be a good portrait lens (55 x 1.5 = 82.5mm on APS-C) at f2.8 and the same time an excellent true macro lens when teh need arises.

So to your question, no I don't use macro mode during a portait session unless I want to take a portrait of a fly or bug, during those sessions the 1:1 macro mode become extremely handy.

08-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I think you know what I meant but to be blunt-free here is my point.

Such lens like Vivitar 55/2.8 with 1:1 macro has that flexibility to be a good portrait lens (55 x 1.5 = 82.5mm on APS-C) at f2.8 and the same time an excellent true macro lens when teh need arises.

So to your question, no I don't use macro mode during a portait session unless I want to take a portrait of a fly or bug, during those sessions the 1:1 macro mode become extremely handy.
Oh, no, sorry... Honestly, I didn't know what you meant. I couldn't see the advantage of a heavy 55mm 2.8 macro over a pair of a fast 50mm and the M 50mm f4 macro (leaving IQ aside, because I think the Vivitar has much nicer bokeh). Now I get the idea... but it hasn't happen to me to want to take a macro right after shooting a portrait.

Anyway, I'm happy with my new lens, and I like the work division of my fifties. The K 50mm f1.8 is a great people lens, while the very light M 50mm f4 macro is a great outdoor--macro and lanscape--lens. They complement each other perfectly.