Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Vivitar 100mm Maker?

According to all the info I can find on this the lens it should be made by Kino/Kiron but mine has a serial number that says otherwise. It reads Vivitar 100mm 1:2.8 Auto Telephoto #37304432 which according to the Vivitar lens list should be Tokina. It's M42 not K mount. But I can't find anything else that suggests this particular lens was ever made by Tokina. Anyone have a clue on the history of this one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiron_Lenses
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivitar#Manual_focus_zoom_lenses

I think it's this one?

Tokina All-Black Metal Ring Family

Similar in appearance to T-4 family which was also manufactured by Tokina and marketed at the same time, these lenses had all-black metal design with longitudinal ridges on the focus ring. These lenses seem to be relatively rare compared to the other all-black metal ring families. They are poorly documented, often have slight variations in appearance, and do not show up in P&B marketing materials. They may be prototypes. Any information on these or similar all-metal, non-interchangeable mount Tokina-made Vivitars is appreciated.
  • Vivitar 35mm f/2.8
  • Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 (rare)

08-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Gotta be a Tokina. Some of the earlier (& much later) serial #s don't follow the scheme (or are from the less common manufacturers that they used), but all of the 37s with that many digits -- gotta be Tokina.

Have a picture of the lens?
08-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, here is one...Not too great, but it's what I've got so far. Won't be here till next week sometime. It's a little dusty I'm told but it looks okay otherwise. It came from Tacoma. I've bought several lenses from them. They're pretty good at describing condition accurately actually so I'm thinking no fungus et all. Most of the time they say "a little dusty" and all you have to do is wipe off the lens and it's in really nice to perfect shape. My GAF et all came from them. A little dust on the lenses but otherwise it all looked fresh off the shelf it was in such nice shape.

I've been doing the research. So far from what I can tell there's a 1:3.5 version of this and a 1:2.8, the latter being hard to find. But some most sites say it was made my Kino/Kiron not Tokina. I'm thinking this may be the very first version of this lens which apparently is very hard to come by as finding any info on it is very hard. The number is definitely Tokina. Which means they had to have used both makers for this version of the lens. What I can't find out is if it is better or worse quality depending upon which version you have. I've never had a less than stellar Viv though so I can't imagine this one would be less than.

Generally speaking I'm just wondering how they stack up...

Last edited by magkelly; 05-20-2015 at 10:46 AM.
08-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Yeah, that's a Tokina. It is either from 1973 or 1983 -- probably 73. I'm not sure they were using that style of lettering that early, but am also not sure if they were still making them that way as late as 83. TX series Tokinas of 1975-1976ish look just like that, at least from the front. Anyway, should be quality lens if it is good shape, although some are better than others. For instance, I've got two Tokina-made 28mm TXs -- one from 75 and one from 76. The 75 is definitely better, and the coatings seem different between the two (newer is not always better, especially with lenses as sometimes they put out their best at the beginning and then start to cut corners to save $$$ later in a run of what appears to be the same lens). But none of those old Vivitar Tokinas are bad that I've seen -- I've had a handful of different focal lengths but not a 100mm.

08-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Must not be that many of them floating around out there either way. I've actually found very little online by way of lens tests and ads for the 2.8 versions. There's very few on Ebay and not all of them are this version. The 3.5 seems to be a bit easier to find though apparently neither is all that common in the 2 Pentax mounts. That one flickr mention with a few photos is about the best I've seen so far. Most people who have one seem to have the Kino version from what I can tell. I haven't really found much on the Tokina version at all. The Wiki doesn't even mention it. Only mentions the Kino version. The ones I did find? $250 and up, but I really don't know if mine being Tokina makes it worth less or not. It looks like it's selling for about the same as the 105 Tak which really surprised me. I bought this one so I could sell my Taks and still have a 100 mm. But it looks like I just replaced an expensive Tak with an expensive Viv, lol.
08-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Certainly worth a try. Give it some tests and see how it does with aberrations, etc and then decide if you want to part with the Taks or not. Find a hood to put on it -- always helps. (Or it may have a built-in slide out.) None of those old Vivs are worth a ton, but 100s and 85s (from anybody) seem to go for more as they are less common and probably as long as the m4/3rders want to go, which is a decent chunk of the m42 market now. All of the Tokina/Kiron/Komine Vivs of the era are generally high-quality -- the Tokinas are just as good as the others. All of the ones I've had have been solid.
08-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I think it's this one?

Tokina All-Black Metal Ring Family

Similar in appearance to T-4 family which was also manufactured by Tokina and marketed at the same time, these lenses had all-black metal design with longitudinal ridges on the focus ring. These lenses seem to be relatively rare compared to the other all-black metal ring families. They are poorly documented, often have slight variations in appearance, and do not show up in P&B marketing materials. They may be prototypes. Any information on these or similar all-metal, non-interchangeable mount Tokina-made Vivitars is appreciated.
  • Vivitar 35mm f/2.8
  • Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 (rare)
I must be really lucky to have both of these. I'll consider offers of 4 figures for the set. Here's my 100/2.8. To me, this has the feel of a newer Vivitar, except for the metal focus grip.

The 35/2.8 that I have is much as described above.

Here's an album of shots of that one: https://picasaweb.google.com/Just1MoreDave/Vivitar35mmF28?authuser=0&feat=directlink I've had T4 mounts that were exactly like this. The 100mm is much more like a TX mount. The interior of it is built much like a newer lens.

I think references to Kiron/Kino are for the macro lens which is not related to these Tokinas.

Last edited by Just1MoreDave; 08-07-2012 at 10:47 AM.
08-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm still trying to get my paws on a Vivitar 28mm in M42. I see them a lot actually but not at prices I can really afford. I've got a couple of 28mm, not Vivs, decent both of them, but nothing too stellar so far. I've got the Viv 75-150, and the 70-230 I think it is. That latter one is a heavy one but it's great lens. I had the 75-300 in K mount but I swapped that for two AF Tamron lenses a while back. It was a good deal and I don't regret it but I sometimes miss that lens. It was a good one. I still have it in C/Y though until I finally sell that stuff so I'm not feeling too deprived that way. Eventually I'm going to replace my Accura and Chinar 28mm's with a Viv though. I'm selling off my Taks this weekend most likely but I mean to have good Viv's/Chinon's/Ricoh's to replace most of them. I've actually got most of it, just need to grab a better 28mm at some point. Not right now though. My LBA budget is shot until I sell some stuff....

08-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You might find this site helpful in identifying Vivitar lens manufacturers by serial number amd approximate mfg date. The information on this site is copywrited.

Vivitar Lens Manufactuers

Last edited by Phil1; 08-07-2012 at 09:12 AM.
08-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, had it bookmarked already.