Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Another food for thought...

... it strikes me that any combination of DSLR+Lens is unsuited for street work. Big, clumsy, heavy, awkward, obtrusive, noisy etc.

For such a use wouldn't you, overall, be better off with a good quality PS of some sort?
You may want to tell Javier, (JGRedline) that. He has been using slr for years to do street work. Wait, so have I.

Cruise this thread and see what various people are doing.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/43981...eet-style.html

Last edited by Blue; 08-07-2012 at 07:19 AM.
08-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
You may want to tell Javier, (JGRedline) that. He has been using slr for years to do street work. I wait, so have I.

Cruise this thread and see what various people are doing.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/43981...eet-style.html
Agreed, though i have to say if I could afford a leica mm with a nice summicron 35 1.4 and noctilux 50 0.95 that would be my default street kit

I think there are a lot of guys starting to shoot with the OMD now as well, and the xpro1. The xpro1 though really is too slow to focus.

Meanwhile i will shoot AF with my 14 and 35, and zone focus my 20 and 28 for streets (or shoot them on film )

for fun i grabbed a very cheap Olympus MJU for street shooting as well (Film though makes me be much more selective)
08-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Another food for thought...

... it strikes me that any combination of DSLR+Lens is unsuited for street work. Big, clumsy, heavy, awkward, obtrusive, noisy etc.

For such a use wouldn't you, overall, be better off with a good quality PS of some sort?
A couple of my favorite cameras for street photography have been DSLRs with prime lenses:
  • Olympus OM-1 with 50 f/1.4
  • Pentax K100D with FA35 f/2
I've also used an Oly E-1 and a Pentax K-10D.

I am now shooting a K-5 with either the 35 f/2.4 or the 40 Ltd. Either of those kits is about the same weight as the K100D with the FA35. The K-5 is quiet and small. It is a very versatile camera, in that it can be used "small" or "big", depending on the lens.

Jeff
08-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Again this is about personal preference. ... SNIP ... 77mm
Care to share the story behind that 77mm one? It looks like the guy is smashing a 2 liter bottle on his head. Or maybe it's on outtake from the movie Braveheart

08-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Care to share the story behind that 77mm one? It looks like the guy is smashing a 2 liter bottle on his head. Or maybe it's on outtake from the movie Braveheart
My guess is watermelon.