Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Final Lens collection, and never looking back

In lieu of concerns of AF mechanisms going awry, I felt it would be safest to stick with MF lenses. Although it has been a learning curve, its been a lot of fun. I believe that bodies may change, but lenses should be here to stay. However, I now feel the need to terminate lens trading (an endless LBA symptom that has pocket book, spousal, etc consequences) and stick with some "class glass", so here are my thoughts....

1. The following lenses stay:
a) Zeiss Distagon - 35mm/F2
b) VL Nokton 58mm/F 1.4.

2. The following will need to go:
a) 18-55 mm AL II - to eventually get an SMC 20mm/F4 (whever that happens)
b) M100mm/F2.8 and bayonet 135mm/F2.5 - to eventually get a Zeiss 100mm/F2 (Don't even think about pocket book consequences here). This would have to be my last acquisition, EVER, and I think is the likely cure for my LBA. Although my LBA has been more controlled (hypnotherapy, nomoney-therapy, etc), its still easy to slip.

This would be my "grand" scheme in my life as a growing amatuer photographer. Maybe, I may indulge myself in candids as I grow old, and need a hobby, when I quite my full time job.. Any thoughts are welcome...

08-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Seriously dude, wishful thinking i'd say...

Trust me... Hahaha! Unless of course you are meaning to say that these are your last acquisitions as an amateur photographer?

MF and cure for LBA do NOT go hand in hand.. Just take a lift from my sig, that's what happens i tell you!

I'm still hunting for a decently priced A28/2, A50/1.2, A502/8 Macro.

Meanwhile, i am saving up to complete my set of DA Silver Ltds(where possible): DA15/4, DA21/3.2, DA40/2.8XS, DA70/2.4.

Right after that, i am planning to chase for the 3 FA Silver Ltds: FA31/1.8, FA43/1.9, FA77/1.8

Lastly, to complete my Zeiss collection: ZK25/2.8, ZK35/2, ZK50/2 MP.

And i have yet to start on my intended AF Zooms, my friend... Hahahaha!!!

Trust me on this: MF and Cure do NOT go hand-in-hand...
08-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First, I think you're over concerned about the AF fault thing, except for a couple select lenses, and even then. It's the modern age, after all. That said, there is no cure for LBA. It's a non terminal (unless you have a significant other...) incurable disease. The best you can hope for is to eliminate symptoms for a while.

DERAIL:
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
I'm still hunting for a decently priced A28/2, A50/1.2, A502/8 Macro.
I found a great condition A50 2.8 macro in a local camera shop for $79. Yes. I own it now.
08-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pezmaker Quote
I found a great condition A50 2.8 macro in a local camera shop for $79. Yes. I own it now.
Oh well... If you do find another one, do give me a "buzz" ya? LOL! Help out a fellow Pentaxian here... :P

08-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Got my K35/3.5 (well, almost, since I did not carry enough cash I have to return), which is supposed to be sharp.
Then saw a M85 and a M28/2.8 (and want them too). And then I want all the other K's and M's because of their nice build.
After that I have to get better copies of the ones I have. If I'm lucky I could trade the duplicates for some K-mount Tokinas.
And because I got a film body with one of the lenses, I might get a better film body after all...

Seb
08-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by subidoc Quote
In lieu of concerns of AF mechanisms going awry, I felt it would be safest to stick with MF lenses. Although it has been a learning curve, its been a lot of fun. I believe that bodies may change, but lenses should be here to stay. However, I now feel the need to terminate lens trading (an endless LBA symptom that has pocket book, spousal, etc consequences) and stick with some "class glass", so here are my thoughts....

1. The following lenses stay:
a) Zeiss Distagon - 35mm/F2
b) VL Nokton 58mm/F 1.4.
I have both of those, and am very happy with them.

2. The following will need to go:
a) 18-55 mm AL II
I have two copies of the DA L version,
that essentially came for free with K-x bodies.
It's been a while since I used one,
but they're not worth selling once you count the time that would involve.
And if you want a supercompact travel zoom, the DA 18-55 II does the job.

- to eventually get an SMC 20mm/F4 (whever that happens)
f/4.5 ?

b) M100mm/F2.8 and Zeiss 100mm/F2
I use both, and wouldn't want to sell either.
The M100/2.8 is great for travel, and very sharp (although of course it doesn't do macro).
08-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I have both of those, and am very happy with them.
- Likewise!

I use both, and wouldn't want to sell either. The M100/2.8 is great for travel, and very sharp (although of course it doesn't do macro).
- I like the compactness of the M100. I don't need Macro capability. The newer SMC 100s are enormous once extended. I have considered the VL 90/3.5, but it may limit me in a low-light environment, I fear.

If a choice between a zeiss 85mm/1.4 and 100mm/f2.0 were to be made, what would you pick, and why? Likely, this will be a once in a lifetime buy.

08-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Seriously dude, wishful thinking i'd say...

...Trust me on this: MF and Cure do NOT go hand-in-hand...
I only buy what I can fit in my lens bag, should I want to pack and travel. I make the effort to try and think long term, and now only try and shop for a lens I plan to keep (nearly) forever. That, my friend, is hard. I have lost count of the number of times i have almost clicked on the words "BID", "By it NOW", etc. I don't look past the first 2 pages of items for sale in the marketplace. This behavior has, I believed, saved me $$$

It sucks, but a man's got to balance between living, having fun, and being realistic.. Its a tough life, living with the disease of LBA.
08-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I don't need Macro capability. I have considered the VL 90/3.5, but it may limit me in a low-light environment, I fear.
It is usable right from f/3.5,
and on a newer CMOS sensor,
you can just crank up the ISO.

If a choice between a zeiss 85mm/1.4 and 100mm/f2.0 were to be made, what would you pick, and why? Likely, this will be a once in a lifetime buy.
Given that you don't need macro,
the 85/1.4 would be only half the price,
and more compact.
The focus shift around f/2 is tricky,
but can be handled with focus bracketing.
08-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is usable right from f/3.5, and on a newer CMOS sensor, you can just crank up the ISO.

Given that you don't need macro, the 85/1.4 would be only half the price, and more compact. The focus shift around f/2 is tricky, but can be handled with focus bracketing.
A newer CMOS sensor means finally upgrading to the K-30 (Yummy!). I guess the choice of a VL could make the difference of may dollars, since a body upgrade is inevitable... Now I have something else to chew on.

Any idea of VL/Zeiss are planning a new line of lenses for Pentax? Is this it for their indulgence in K-mount lenses?
08-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Any idea of VL/Zeiss are planning a new line of lenses for Pentax? Is this it for their indulgence in K-mount lenses?
This may be it.

Sadly, because Pentax cameras offered probably the best APS-C platform for their lenses:
focus confirmation, A-lens functionality, image stabilization, . . .
08-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This may be it.

Sadly, because Pentax cameras offered probably the best APS-C platform for their lenses:
focus confirmation, A-lens functionality, image stabilization, . . .
I don't get it. There is no further engineering of mounts needed. What a shame...
08-06-2012, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

VL/Zeiss are targeting a miniscule fraction of the users on any given platform (except Sony),
and the K-mount is small potatoes compared to Nikon, Canon, and MFT.
Then they had to compete with the AF Limiteds and MF legacy lenses,
not to mention the, er, "thrift" for which Pentax users are notorious.
08-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

With all due respect:

Trust me... Hahaha!
+1.

I have some absolutely fantastic glass and I still wonder if I wouldn't be able to make good use of faster lenses, smaller lenses, intermediate focal lengths, uncoated lenses, or automation of aperture/focus. I have an excellent kit, including two Leica lenses. I used to think Leica buyers were crazy... I used to think that $100 lenses were expensive. Then I wanted a fast Takumar. Then I started thinking that $500 was expensive. Then I got a FA*. Now I can look at a four-figure price for a lens and think, "that's reasonable." There be dragons. I don't do anything that really requires more than my 18-55 and a tripod, both of which I have. I also have Leica, FA*, DA*, and Limited glass. Dragon, thy name be optik. Of course, my lens portfolio is outperforming my 401(k), but that's merely coincidental.

The best treatment for my LBA is going out and taking pictures. Honestly, I think my imaging hobby would be far better off if I had just stuck with my 18-55. But then, my lens hobby wouldn't be nearly as interesting, would it?

Enjoy what you do. Embrace the LBA if you enjoy it. If not, take what you've got and show the world just how much more important the 10 inches behind the eyes are than the 10 inches in front of them.
08-06-2012, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
let me see if i understand it...this is a thread whereby someone is stating they have FINALIZED their lens collection?

c'mon now, seriously? You do realize the next stage in LBA is when you buy another copy of each lens you already own just to keep the better copy and sell the other? Get busy, pal.