Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Every Once in a While We Get Lucky

It was a snow slush day, roads only slightly hazardous once we get off the range and on to the main roads.

The wife wants me to drop her off at the thrift store while I cruise to the local sporting goods store for reloading components, which I do.

I get my reloading stuff and head back to the thrift store to pick her up. She's not done shopping so I decide to look around, which is usually fruitless for me.

First check, which has always been a bust, was to the junk cameras they have a few of, and when I say junk I think you know the type of cameras I refer to. Still I force myself to have a look, one never knows. Low and behold a nice 35mm film Pentax P&S IQZoom 920 is on the shelf. And not only does it actually show some operating functions, is it fully functional (once I figure its operation out) with a still good Duracell 123 battery in it, and it shows very little normal use wear. $4.50? Sold! It will make a great toss in the glovebox camera.

Moving down the shelf I spy a leather lens case that looks suspiciously Pentax screwmount, and in pretty good shape. A check of the top confirms with the "Takumar 4/50" stamping in the leather. It's in good shape and I can always use a nice Pentax screwmount lens case. The price tag says $7.50. I figure I can talk them down on the lens case price. Picking it up it is heavy. THERE IS A LENS IN THERE! Fumbling slightly I unbutton and open the lid and there's an upside down screwmount lens inside. Being the pessimist I am I figure it to be a common as dirt 55/1.8. Still, for $7.50 it's a deal regardless of its condition. Pulling the lens out and flipping it around it shows to be in beautiful condition overall with a near mint lens cap. I remove the lens cap and behold that I have in hand a 50mm f/4 Super-Macro-Takumar. Checking it over it is in excellent condition, mint glass with just a hint of wear on a very few of the lens's black surfaces (and I'm be very critical here). Alas, the aperture diaphragm is a bit sluggish but moves through all settings. For $7.50 I can handle it. In stop down mode on my istDS it will work perfectly.

Deals are still out there folks, just keep an eye open for them. I can't tell you how many thrift shop adventures I have been on with the wife against my will. I usually end up sitting and admiring one or more of the used easy chairs reading a book while she shops, but this trip paid off for a change, big time!.

Don

01-28-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Man what LUCK! Congrats..
01-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It pays to accompany your partner. Congrats on the find - ENJOY
01-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Man what LUCK! Congrats..
Thank you!

I've had a couple of good luck stories related to finds in camera stores but none ever as good as this one in a not camera store. But then again, in terms of thrift shops, well I think I have paid my dues.

The 50/4 macro Takumar currently resides on my Spotmatic SP II but will soon move to the DS for thorough testing. It really is a beautiful lens.

The IQ Zoom 920 has a half a roll through it that I plan to finish off tomorrow to get the results.

I have always loved Pentax and this weekend was simply a reminder as to why.

Don

01-28-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Don't ya love it, finds like this make ones way and day in life.

If we have 25,550 of them we are considered lucky. Make each one count as if you may never have another one.
01-30-2008, 05:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice score! Your karma's looking good!
01-30-2008, 09:33 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
Nice score! Your karma's looking good!
Thanks Christine! That's also my wife's name so I guess I should thank you both, her for wanting to go to the thrift store.

Don
01-30-2008, 09:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ugh...out of all the thrift shops I've been to, never have I found anything even remotely worthwhile. Saw a couple all plastic cams/lenses, that was it...an Instamatic or two :/

Did come away with 5 nice beer glasses, 3 hardcover books, and 4 softcovers for $12 yesterday