Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Buy DA21 or wait for DA15?

Hi,
I am from Argentina and it is really difficult to get new lens at good prices (K-5 kit costs arround U$D 2K)

I managed to buy some great old lens. My kit includes:

F28/2.8
M35/2.8
F50/1.7
M135/3.5

(got these 4 for a bit less than U$D 500)

I only use de kit lens when weather conditions demands it and the M35 was "free" with the M135. Else the 28 or 50 are on.

I am very happy with them but I am curious about going wide and now I have the chance to buy a used DA21 at a very good price (U$D 440).
I like the fact that it is really small but fill it is not adding anything new to my kit. Itīs focal lenth is close to the 28 and speed wise, it is not far from the kit lens.

Should I buy it or wait for a DA15?

Thnaks for any advice,
Francisco

08-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

buy it, then save up and but the 15 also
08-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ultimately only you can decide what you want to shoot and what you are wiling to spend on gear. My philosophy is a little different than some, but it works for me. I am always watching for bargains, I have a long list of lenses I would like to try and I keep watch on the current value. When I see one that is in good shape at a good price I buy, assuming I have the money. If you buy well, you can always sell, and usually at a profit. So if the 21mm is a good price in your market, take it. Try it out and watch for the 15mm, then you can either have both or sell the one you like the least.

If you buy something because you want it NOW, then you pay a premium. If you are patient, know what something is worth and only buy when it is a good price then you pay much less.
08-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I suggest you buy the DA-21, Its easy to carry in any bag and focuses quickly. I like it a lot even in crowded surroundings. You may decide you don't need the DA-15, i did.

08-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have both a DA 21 and a F 28 and find that they do not overlap or compete too much. Yes, the focal length is a little close together but I use the lenses for different purposes-- DA 21 when I want more landscape shots and wider angle, and F 28 when I want a great "normal" perspective. I think the F 28 is a bit sharper wide-open than the DA 21, and it's a touch faster speed, so all these considerations helps keep the F 28 on my camera. But I love the small compact size (including hood) of the DA 21. I find that I rarely use my DA 15 anymore now that I have the DA 21; I only reach for DA 15 when I want a particularly dramatic ultra wide angle shot. But YMMV.
08-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I have a DA 15 and I love it. Over the past year it has become my most used lens. The DA 21 is also on my list of lenses to add to my bag. 15mm is a little too wide sometimes and I am cropping a lot of shots. Most of my lens purchases have come about because I found a deal and took advantage of it. If the DA 15 Mind Control thread has invaded your brain, then you are doomed. Buy the 21 but you are still going to want the 15. The nice thing about Limiteds is you can carry them in pockets without lugging a bag around.
08-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the tips (though now iīm not so sure it was a good idea to ask for advice to pentax devotes, haha)
I am meeting the buyer today to check out the glass.

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I have both a DA 21 and a F 28 and find that they do not overlap or compete too much. Yes, the focal length is a little close together but I use the lenses for different purposes-- DA 21 when I want more landscape shots and wider angle, and F 28 when I want a great "normal" perspective. I think the F 28 is a bit sharper wide-open than the DA 21, and it's a touch faster speed, so all these considerations helps keep the F 28 on my camera. But I love the small compact size (including hood) of the DA 21. I find that I rarely use my DA 15 anymore now that I have the DA 21; I only reach for DA 15 when I want a particularly dramatic ultra wide angle shot. But YMMV.
Seventysixersfan, comparing the DA21 to the F28, what do you think about color rendition and contrast? Iīd love to buy the DA21 just for the its mechanical quality and size/wieght advantage buy it is not enough to justify the price. (paid U$D 170 for the F28)

P/D: Just made a quick test:
The kit lens @21 and @28 and the extra 7mm does make a difference indoors.
Tried the F28 @ f2.8 ISO800 the camera goes for 1/25 shutter speed
@ f3.2 ISO800 - 1/15
Both handheld, without recomposing, same exposure

08-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Matter of perspective?

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I have a DA 15 and I love it. Over the past year it has become my most used lens. The DA 21 is also on my list of lenses to add to my bag. 15mm is a little too wide sometimes and I am cropping a lot of shots. Most of my lens purchases have come about because I found a deal and took advantage of it. If the DA 15 Mind Control thread has invaded your brain, then you are doomed. Buy the 21 but you are still going to want the 15. The nice thing about Limiteds is you can carry them in pockets without lugging a bag around.
Depends on how you look at it, limiteds do weigh in your pocket... hehe
But I guess you are right regarding the 15...

It has already happened to me to buy a lens becouse the price was good thinking "it doesnīt matter I donīt need it, I can sell it when I find one I really need" ha! When the time comes "Oh, but this copy turned out so good. I should keep it just in case"
08-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The DA15 is unique and there's nothing close to it in legacy glass. I did try the DA21, but didn't find it better enough than my sigma 24/2.8
08-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I would get the 15 as it is wider. It is a good length for car shows :-)
08-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Seventysixersfan, comparing the DA21 to the F28, what do you think about color rendition and contrast? Iīd love to buy the DA21 just for the its mechanical quality and size/wieght advantage buy it is not enough to justify the price. (paid U$D 170 for the F28)
Honestly it's a close call in my experience. F 28 has excellent color rendition (vibrant and saturated colors) and very contrasy even wide-open, as you know. DA 21 produces images with superb, high contrast and accurate, rich colors. I think the F 28's is a bit sharper wide-open. Of course, don't expect the DA 21 to produce IQ that is twice as good as the F 28 just because it costs twice as much! You are paying the extra cost in order to get a pancake-sized lens (especially compared to the F 28 with a hood on) and superior metal build. Plus quick shift focusing and the DA 21 can focus a little closer than the F 28. The F 28 does flare more without a proper hood, whereas DA 21 has great flare resistance.
08-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Originally posted by carrrlangas*
Honestly it's a close call in my experience. F 28 has excellent color rendition (vibrant and saturated colors) and very contrasy even wide-open, as you know. DA 21 produces images with superb, high contrast and accurate, rich colors. I think the F 28's is a bit sharper wide-open. Of course, don't expect the DA 21 to produce IQ that is twice as good as the F 28 just because it costs twice as much! You are paying the extra cost in order to get a pancake-sized lens (especially compared to the F 28 with a hood on) and superior metal build. Plus quick shift focusing and the DA 21 can focus a little closer than the F 28. The F 28 does flare more without a proper hood, whereas DA 21 has great flare resistance.
This is what I suspected.. Premium price for premium features. Iīll meet the buyer in an hour and look at them both. Let you know what happens.

Thanks again,
Frnacisco
08-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
DA21 and F28

Well, I met the seller in a coffe and inspected and played with the lens a bit. Thanks to your comments I had a pretty good background of what to focus on.

Here you can see examples of the DA21 and my own F28 which I took with me. The first one taken the DA21, the second and third with the F28 (the guy played the Ukelele).

They are pretty close in IQ in my opinion. Focus ring dump is about the same on both lenses (very good when going from inf. to min). Autofocus seemed a little faster on the DA21. It is really small and light and looks great mounted on the K-5.
I dare to say that the DA21 is the APS-C version of the 28-31s for FF

I decided not to buy it right away. If I hadnīt the F28 I would have bought it without thinking it twice.
As he doesnīt live far, I said I would think about it and write him back.

Anyone willing to ship their DA15 down south?? ha!

Regards,
Francisco

Last edited by carrrlangas; 06-14-2013 at 03:58 AM.
08-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

agreed, good decision -- I think you'd get more out of a DA 15 because you currently have F 28. I think that's better spacing in your lens kit. If you got a DA 21, there may be times when you would not carry it with you at the same time as the F 28; that is, you would not swap out the lens for the F 28, but instead would just walk forward a few steps. And as others have done, you could get the DA 15 and just crop to DA 21 FOV if that matters to you.
08-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I'm fairly certain that eventually, all the DA Limiteds will be in my bag. I recently took several hundred shots on vacation and I'm slowly going through them in Lightroom and doing any PP needed and I can pick out my DA 15 and DA 40 shots almost without looking at the data. The DA 21 will likely be next as I know I will use that size an awful lot, especially for landscapes. I bought the DA 15 for shooting car shows, something I do a lot. It has ended up being on the camera most of the time.