Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Hi gabesgang,

I don't shoot pets formally, but do a lot of cat and dog candids because I like them. I find having a short min focusing distance a significant help if you're not shooting in a studio. A number of posters have mentioned lick or nose proofing th lens, and this is exactly why I tend to choose short focusing lenses to shoot animals, because they're usually curious and playful, if not purposefully trying to make things difficult (cats). Despite not really fitting into the premium class that many of the lenses that have been recommended, my DA 18-250, with its 1.5 ft MFD throughout the FL range is one of my favorites with the K-5 since lens speed is not as critical given the high ISO performance. The lens might leave something to be desired from a number of standpoints from DOF control to ultimate sharpness wide open, but the FL and focusing distance versatility is very useful since I like to shoot from the animals' eye level, and getting up from the ground, for me, is most times a trying experience.

If I'm in a more controlled environment, my D FA 100 f2.8 Macro and Sigma EX 180 3,5 APO DG Macro are also useful for pet shooting, and my Tamron 28-75 f2.8 frequently gets the call as well as the DA 10-17 FE as has been illustrated so nicely in this thread.

This is a very rewarding type of shooting for me since the subjects never complain about the results (unlike the majority of people I've shot ), and the owners alway love them .

Scott

08-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I like my DA 35/2.4 a lot for indoor cat pictures. You have to get kinda close, but shooting it wide open at f/2.4 seems to have just the right combination of sharpness and depth of field for cats. For example...

I also just got an FA 50/1.4 which I've just been playing around with and so far seems promising. But really, as the diversity of responses here should show, there's plenty of options.
08-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I really like anything between 60mm and 100mm though 100 might be to tight to work with.
That being said, if you're on a budget, you can look for a reputable manual lens such as the infamous Russian Helios and Jupiter's and use catch in focus. Or.. if you have the dough, you can shell out for the well known 77mm Pentax prime. Or... if you want versatility, you can look into a good zoom such as the 50-135mm which my wife really likes using for portraits.

So lots of good options out there for you I'd say.
08-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I like my 70mm 2.4 Limited very much.

08-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is ideal even in low light shooting indoors. With a large maximum aperture and focus peaking on the K-01, it is dead easy to shoot an active chihuahua.