Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Least silly way to spend $100

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi,
After a recent trip I found myself with some money to spare, and I also lost my Takumar cap. I was looking to replace it, but the ones on ebay look pretty expensive (over $20 for one piece, WTF).
Now I was thinking I could buy 5-10 generic pinch caps (which I will also be using, but I want the Asahi Pentax cap for collection purposes).
I thought I could also find one original cap on top of a cheap Takumar, which I would resell later. So, what's the cheapest Takumar? 55/2, I presume? I found about two months ago a 55/1.8 for a little over $10, so I guess that is the kind of money I intend to spend. Asking just to check if there's an easier way to lift 10000 lbs.
My 28mm also needs a lens hood, and those rectangular ones sure look nice, but they seem to cost much more than I'm willing to pay.
Let's see what's also on the list... a lens spanner and a set of JIS screwdrivers, but I doubt I'll be able to afford them within $100. Maybe some ice cream. I also need to get another polarizer, my old one was bought used, but my local shop sells a new Hoya for about $10, so I'm not sure that second hand is worth it this time.
I drink cow's milk and I'm not ashamed.

Last edited by vladimiroltean; 08-09-2012 at 04:45 PM.
08-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could keep an eye open for used lower-quality lenses which have the same diameter. Also, sometimes lens caps are found for sale without lenses. If you're patient you can probably save quite a bit of money while using the inexpensive generic cap to protect the lens.
08-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Go take a look at KEH.com. TONS of fun stuff there. Their base shipping rate is a little steep, but if you're getting several items at once it balances out quickly.

Oh, I see you are in Bucharest - I don't know what their international shipping rates/policies are, but worth a look anyway.
08-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, tons of OVERPRICED fun stuff I won't be insane and pay a ton for a lens cap - what I'm saying is that I'm basically going to be paid to own an Asahi Pentax cap - buy a cheap 55mm, "steal" its cap, then resell it for more. Keh is not quite the best place to do these bargains.

08-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KEH usually has a fair value, they know what things are selling for. So very hard to get good bargains if you intend to re-sell and make a profit but fair if you are buying to keep. I have found most of my deals at estate or garage sales where people are just trying to get rid of stuff. Often these days if it is a film camera they expect it to be obsolete and not worth much if anything. I'm sure you have the same kind of sales in Romania but maybe called something else? But it takes a lot of time, you visit a dozen or more sales and find nothing, then one has a real bargain.

I have taken all the push on caps off my Takumars and purchased pinch caps for them all. If I ever re-sell I will still have the original caps in good shape.

I cannot remember if you are shooting film or digital, but if digital I am sure you know the original shade is too shallow on crop sensor so you can use generic thread on ones. But the original square ones look very impressive and you definitely stand out when using one. But the prices these days are just silly.
08-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Replacing the original caps with generic ones is my intention too, as I stated in the OP, but I'd also like to have the original too just to feel better, I can't explain it. In fact, I am in the middle of purchasing this lens hood for my 28mm instead of that overpriced square. I know it's probably not optimal for digital, but I also shoot film sometimes and I don't want it to vignette when using the polarizer.
I'm trying to remember the purpose of this thread, and the only explanation I can found is that I'm complaining how fast money can disappear on stupid things like lens caps and hoods...
08-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
I'm trying to remember the purpose of this thread, and the only explanation I can found is that I'm complaining how fast money can disappear on stupid things like lens caps and hoods...
+1 the only thing I seem to collect without cost is old skylight & UV filters, I have a box of them it seems every lens or camera I buy comes with a few more. Wish there was a market, I could sell them and buy more lenses.

08-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
+1 the only thing I seem to collect without cost is old skylight & UV filters, I have a box of them it seems every lens or camera I buy comes with a few more. Wish there was a market, I could sell them and buy more lenses.
Oh and I was feeling bad about a Vivitar Skylight filter that I slaughtered for the rim, in my attempts to build my own screw-in welding glass 13 stop ND filter
08-11-2012, 03:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, update: I just spent $30 on 24 generic caps and 3 hoods. I'm already starting to feel silly, thinking how else I could have spent my money. I will be, however, sniping some 55mm Takumars for their caps and then reselling them, so that should hopefully reduce the overall cost a little.
08-21-2012, 06:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And I have bought the 49mm cap in the form of a Spotmatic F, complete with a leather case, strap and lens attached to it. Didn't ask what lens it was until I had already won the auction, and to my surprise, the seller told me it was a Tak 35mm/3.5! Now, being attached to a SPF, I would presume it to be SMC. All this for $50 shipped. I know I can resell it for the same amount, but can I?
08-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh God, I just won another one by mistake this time SP1000 with S-M-C 55/1.8.