Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #46

Photos: Albums
Monocord

This is my travel monocord, made from an old point `n shoot camera strap about 2 foot long.
Attach to belt loop - attach to camera - pull up - the tension on the camera will steady the camera.
I'm not saying its a replacement for a tripod, beanbag or monopod, but it is light weight and doesn't take up space.
This little device helped my shaky videos. Using the string monopod, I don't get nauseous watching my videos.
Another version can be found here at String Tripod
Commercially manufactured versions; SteadPod & SteadyWeb
If this is a vacation vs. producing stock pictures to sell I wouldn't get carried away with lots of equipment. I've
been on vacation only to spend my time looking through the view finder and never relaxing and enjoying the view.
Changing lenses increases the chance of dust on the sensor and for this reason I like 'vacation' lenses and https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/103557-tamron-10-24mm-club-8.html#post2045116.

Last edited by Kaufeetime; 08-16-2012 at 11:55 AM.
08-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #47
Pentaxian

My use for a tripod on a trip is more to get pictures of the wife and I together, rather than for steadying the camera for landscapes etc. Sometimes there'll be a helpful person around to take a shot of the two of you, but there are several reasons why a tripod is better:

1. I don't like handing my gear to strangers
2. Most people don't know how to use a DSLR, and mine is always set to choose the focus point, so I'd have to know how they're going to frame or change to auto-select first
3. I like to frame the shot as I want it, not rely on someone else
4. I'll take a test shot to test exposure and focus. If someone else's shot comes out bad, I don't like to tell them so and ask them to take another one

A travel tripod needs to be sturdy enough to easily hold the heaviest gear you might want it to, while being as light as possible, so you need to tailor it to what camera/lens/grip/flash combo you're likely to use. My Slik hasn't let me down so far, and it seems sturdy enough for my K200D with grip and Tammy 17-50. A beanbag is nice, but won't work if there's no raised surface already there to put it on.
08-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #48
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have just returned from a trip to the USA. Beforehand, it took me a while to pick which lenses to take. I decided to be brave and carry only primes, because for previous holidays I'd just used the kit lenses 18-55 and 55-300.

Manual focus primes proved to be great fun. Most days I carried a 135mm, 50mm and 17mm, and was happy. The Tamron adaptall 2 17mm was used most. It's smooth close focussing ability was a joy. Although, it was left on infinity focus most of the time. Flare was a problem, but creative hand shielding came to the rescue. The A50/1.4 was also a joy to use. No problems with this lens and very useful walking about. The Tamron adaptall 2 135/2.5 was also so good to use. No problems with this lens either. It was necessary to have the extra reach on occasion. I never felt the need for more reach.

Yes I did change lenses a lot and did get some gubbins on the sensor. but it wiped away easily when I got back. The snaps I've got are very rewarding (to me at least) and I've learned a lot about my lenses - being a beginner. I need a good hood for my 17mm for one thing.

I took five lenses with me altogether. A 35mm and 28mm saw very little use. If I was to do it again I would take the 18-55 instead of the 35 and 28mm.
11-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #49
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Just to revive this thread, after some deliberation and some testing of what works etc, I have aquired a 55-300 which for generall usage is fantastic, and for touristy type stuff I think it would be perfect addtion to the Tammy 17-50 and A50 1.4. And some further reasearch on the tripods has brought me to the Sirui N-1204 4-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod. At 1kg + head, 40cm folded and 153Max height and 13cm min height it fits the bill very well! And the Icing on the cake was unscrew one leg and you have a monopod.

All that I have on the list to get is a backpack (thinking Lowepro 400 AW flipside - mainly for the secure camera access and slightly more descrete olive colour) and if the budget allows a replacement body, K5IIs looks amazing.. but that is only if the bank accounts are treated nicely over the next few months.

11-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #50
Veteran Member

It's impressive that you were able to leave both of the FA31/77 out in favor of the fast fifty. Not a bad choice but difficult. The two zoom combo will probably work very well though.

My kit would consist of DA15/40/DFA100WR and the 18-55WR if bad weather is expected. Nowadays I take most of my with the 15 or 100. I would also have a tripod but I do a lot of waterfalls.
11-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #51
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
It's impressive that you were able to leave both of the FA31/77 out in favor of the fast fifty. Not a bad choice but difficult. The two zoom combo will probably work very well though.

My kit would consist of DA15/40/DFA100WR and the 18-55WR if bad weather is expected. Nowadays I take most of my with the 15 or 100. I would also have a tripod but I do a lot of waterfalls.
Yeah It was tough choice but in the end it came down to not wanting to subject them to the humidity, possible theft and I wanted flexibility which the Tammy provides with no significant loss in IQ (for holiday snaps at least).

For what I paid the 17-50 tammy+ A50/1.4 + the DA 55-300 added together are cheaper than just the 77ltd and give me 17-300mm of coverage and a low light lens.
11-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #52
Veteran Member

I didn't find SE Asia to be that humid when I was there in Jan 2011. In fact it was quite dry. theft is a big issue though. Very little forced assault but everything might be gone if you look away for a second.

You might want to consider a K-01 as your second body if the price drop extends to Australia at some point. Or if ordering from the US is easy. I'll probably be getting one next month if it's in stock. It's just too cheap at 350/450.
11-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #53
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
I didn't find SE Asia to be that humid when I was there in Jan 2011. In fact it was quite dry. theft is a big issue though. Very little forced assault but everything might be gone if you look away for a second.

You might want to consider a K-01 as your second body if the price drop extends to Australia at some point. Or if ordering from the US is easy. I'll probably be getting one next month if it's in stock. It's just too cheap at 350/450.
I currently have 2x K-7's... well, none at this point (one flying out with my partner to South Africa this arvo, and the other getting serviced for the last month and no ETA... it was just in for a clean with my 2 FA LTD's )

I have thought about upgrading to something with the 16mp sensor for better low light performance but I haven't got around to having a gear sale to fund it lol.

Edit:Interesting to note the humidity, I guess it would be similar in feb too. I did see that they only get 40 somthing ml of rain for the month in some parts. As for the theft, I am trying to learn as much as I can before I go so that I can try to blend in as much as possible even though I will still probably stick out like a sore thumb. But yeah basically looking to buy clothes the fit the locals, getting a bag that is secure yet subtle (ie doesn't scream expensive stuff inside), and learning as much of the language as I can between now and then. Learning languages is near impossible with a memory like mine though lol.

Last edited by Chaos_Realm; 11-08-2012 at 06:32 PM.
11-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #54
Veteran Member

You're going to be a tourist regardless of how you dress or how much language you know. The key is to make yourself less of a target by not looking rich and by not leaving things unattended. The most likely theft is probably pickpockets, scams and traveling with your luggage. At some point you just have to trust that your luggage will still be under the bus or waiting for you when you arrive.

Good luck with the language thing but I think it's unlikely you pick much up w/o actually being in an intensive course. I've lived in taiwan for 3 years (and 3 days) and I barely speak any Chinese.
11-09-2012, 01:24 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Some Lowepro backpacks (and maybe other brands) have access to the main pocket through the back, ie you need to take the pack off to get at what's inside. Mine is like that. My Lowepro shoulder bag also has a big front flap, but it only leads to the small front pocket, the zip to the main compartment is concealed. Good design can help against theft, but the main thing is to keep stuff with you at all times regardless of how uncomfortable that might be or what you might be doing.
11-09-2012, 04:05 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Language : learn numbers & days of the week.
Watch out for gangs of street urchins.