Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Any reccomend about ND filter?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for the 77mm ND filter but I'm not sure which brand is ok, or popular. I heard that some of them can cause color cast. So, it would be awesome if you guys can suggest the brands with the least casting. (and price is important as well )

Also, how dark do you guys usually use the most? I want to use it with the ocean waves on the beach. And some of the moving cloud. I have no idea if 4-stop is already enough? (I'm think about Vivitar series 1 ND8 which is about 4stop dark) Or should I consider darker, like 10-stop?
I'm NOT interested in the variable ND filter because it's gonna cause weird effect with wide angle lens.

Thanks for your suggestion!

08-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can always start with an inexpensive variable ND filter from Hoya, Tiffen or SighRay, there are cheaper brands off ebay

08-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Banned

Any filter will do as long as it cover the front of the lens. But also the trick is... To keep the light off of it.

Because a filter of any dollar value degrades the lens optical characteristics signigicantly
08-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just got a promaster 77 variable. They have 2 levels of these, so you do have to be careful. The one is definitely better quality than the other. Even the "inexpensive" ND fliters are still expensive. I got mine through mid-west photo exchange...they work with you over the phone or email and will ship and the phone price is often cheaper than what is listed online.

08-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #5

Original Poster
Yep, it will degrade. However, which brand is acceptable?

I believe that there should be somebody in here loves to take pictures with ND filter in order to make movement of subjects in their pictures. So, they must have their favorite brand for ND? Or, according to their experiences, they must know how dark of ND filter they use the most?

Therefore, I could make decision easier to take one instead of just buying and testing and selling and buying and testing and selling and.......... infinite loops. LOL
08-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
I just got a promaster 77 variable. They have 2 levels of these, so you do have to be careful. The one is definitely better quality than the other. Even the "inexpensive" ND fliters are still expensive. I got mine through mid-west photo exchange...they work with you over the phone or email and will ship and the phone price is often cheaper than what is listed online.

Did you try on wide lens? Did you see any dark-bright pattern in your pics?

Thanks!
08-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I am not aware of any tint free ND. Not even the expensive B+W are.
08-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zany225 Quote
Yep, it will degrade. However, which brand is acceptable?

I believe that there should be somebody in here loves to take pictures with ND filter in order to make movement of subjects in their pictures. So, they must have their favorite brand for ND? Or, according to their experiences, they must know how dark of ND filter they use the most?

Therefore, I could make decision easier to take one instead of just buying and testing and selling and buying and testing and selling and.......... infinite loops. LOL
Ask Twitch. He uses ND a good bit from what I can tell from his posted photos and he is a really good photographer. I'd go with his recommendation, if he has one to offer.

08-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #9
gtl
Veteran Member

Twitch uses the B+W ND110... So do I actually. For 10 stop filters, color casts are unavoidable.
08-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks guys!

So does that mean 10-stop filter is some kind of typical darkness to be used?
08-11-2012, 02:58 AM   #11
gtl
Veteran Member

10 stops just means you gotta increase the shutter speed by 2^10 times.

1 stop = 2^1 = 2 times.

10 stops really helps in getting the shutter speed low enough to smooth out water and getting the creamy effect. Or cloud movement.
08-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not by any means an expert, but I think I can make a recommendation based on my (little) experience.
Here's a photo I took with a Hoya NDX400 (9 stop) filter.

Notice how there isn't much flare going on, or contrast loss, or whatever degrading, although the picture was taken 10 seconds in full sun. Regarding color casts, this one has absolutely minimal cast, and it's pretty warm, so it's actually quite pleasing to me. I think the ones complaining about color casts are really spoiled, because they never tried shooting through welding glass.
08-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

for moving clouds during a day 4 stops is not enough....look for 10 stop filter. I have one from B+W, but they tend to create slight red-ish clour cast during long exposures.
08-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I had a Hoya ND400 that I used when I had my DA15Ltd. It was a great ND filter, very small colour casts (if you didn't look for it you wouldnt notice it).
08-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks for all of you guys. I think I got conclusion now.
According to your suggestions, I would go for 10-stop ND.