Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KEH ratings

I'm looking for a Pentax A 50 macro. KEH has one graded as BGN. Anyone here ever purchase a lens from them with this grading? Would appreciate your thoughts...price is good but don't want to buy something with serious issues.

B&H also has one. Theirs is graded as 8+ but is quite a bit more.

Anyone who has purchased used lenses with similar gradings, please give me your thoughts on which to choose.

Thanks.

08-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I bought a BGN lens from KEH once. It was in pretty darn good shape. They are known to be quite conservative with their ratings. And they have an excellent return policy. If they didn't gouge so badly on their shipping fees to Canada I'd shop there more often.
08-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

i buy BGN from KEH regularly. their ratings are very conservative. on ebay people would likely rate it excellent.
Usually there is a small flaw (frequently in my experience a minor dent in the filter ring. never purchased used from BH so can't comment on their rating system. I've never heard anyone complain about a KEH BGN though
08-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
I bought a BGN lens from KEH once. It was in pretty darn good shape. They are known to be quite conservative with their ratings. And they have an excellent return policy. If they didn't gouge so badly on their shipping fees to Canada I'd shop there more often.
I actually call in and ask them to ship usps and it's not so bad (plus canada post rarely collects the hst on lower value and doesn't gouge for clearing higher value)

08-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I actually call in and ask them to ship usps

This is what I did. They charged me $40 to ship one lens. The actual cost of the postage was $20. So I've decided not to buy from them anymore.
08-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

been a couple of years since i bought but i don't remember being dinged like that. ebayers have screwed me worse (16.95 postage charged 41.95 grrr)
08-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Have no fears with the BGN rating on KEH. Sometimes, it can be something like a missing tripod collar (as was the case for the Tak 200 f/3.5 I had) or my Auto Tak 85 that was slightly yellow and had a small mark on the rear element (no effect on IQ). It's like Ex- at Adorama. For example, I just picked up my Ex- rated K50 f/1.2 from Adorama earlier this week and it simply had some decent amount of dust (no problem) and some minor paint chipping/loss. All for significantly cheaper than KEH's EX rated K50 f/1.2 @ over $460 (prev over $500) by close to a few hundred dollars.
08-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have only sold to them. I had one lens that I thought was EX but they said was BGN. I wouldn't worry at all about buying a BGN from them.

08-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I purchasd my PZ-1 body, 28~105, SuperProgram auto-winder, 645 body, A645 120/4, and A645 75/2.8, as well as several pieces/parts like body caps from KEH.

I have been consistently impressed by the conservative quality ratings, and they back up their inventory with an actual guarantee. I had one item arrive with issues and they replaced it no-charge within a week.

I mentioned in another thread - their base shipping has historically been rather high, but I've never been "over charged" for anything as substantial as a lens.
08-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! Will place my order this afternoon...
08-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pbancr Quote
Do let us know how you like what you buy. I've dealt with KEH for many years and have yet to buy anything which was other than represented, indeed most were better than I expected. Their return policy is good, I bought a 645n from them which decided not to work within a week. Living just south of Atlanta I drove to their shop after calling and exchanged the dead camera for a working one. Good folk!
08-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
been a couple of years since i bought but i don't remember being dinged like that. ebayers have screwed me worse (16.95 postage charged 41.95 grrr)
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
This is what I did. They charged me $40 to ship one lens. The actual cost of the postage was $20. So I've decided not to buy from them anymore.
I now have all my KEH and B&H Photo orders sent to a mail shipping/receiving place just across the US boarder. Most of the time the shipping is either free or under $10.00 via UPS ground. I get an email when the package arrives and drive down to pick it up. They will hold your items for three months, so I wait until I have a few things to pickup. (45 minutes if no boarder line-up) Canada Customs almost never makes you pay taxes, even when the amount is over $500.00. Of course if you do not live close to the US boarder then this option is out!

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 08-10-2012 at 12:19 PM.
08-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pbancr Quote
Do let us know how you like what you buy. I've dealt with KEH for many years and have yet to buy anything which was other than represented, indeed most were better than I expected. Their return policy is good, I bought a 645n from them which decided not to work within a week. Living just south of Atlanta I drove to their shop after calling and exchanged the dead camera for a working one. Good folk!
08-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I now have all my KEH and B&H Photo orders sent to a shipping place just across the US boarder. Most of the time the shipping is either free or under $10.00 via UPS ground. I get an email when the package arrives and drive down to pick it up. (45 minutes if no boarder line-up) Canada Customs almost never makes you pay taxes, even when the amount is over $500.00.

Phil.
that's a sweet deal, unfortunately it's not practical for me, Buffalo is too far from toronto to make it worth it (add in the gass cost and the mailing address in the states and i'm back to just ship via USPS to Toronto, I've had 12 shipments in a 6 week period arrive through Canada post top value was $90 not tax yet. haven't had a high value in quite some time
If i lived in Vancouver I'd do the same likely
08-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

FYI - got an email notice from KEH about an hour ago that they are doing a 15% off sale this weekend on film camera categories.