Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iNicole Quote
Being that far from the camera and still have a blurred background.
By being that far away from the camera, you are meaning that your subject will be that far away. That seems like it is going to be controlled primarily by the focal length of the lens. The closer your subject is to the minimum focus distance of the lens the more blurry you get quickly behind your subject(that is the way I understand it, someone can correct me if I am wrong) so this may be a technique to use make the lens perform more closely to the way you want it to. You can try this by turning your focus ring to the minimum focus position and then you move around to get your subject in focus. Check the background on those images for lenses you already have and see if that gives you the bokeh you are after.

For me personally, the subject of that video is too far away and I don't feel like I can see the gear he is talking about and it seems like he has way too much stuff in his pockets, which is just my own pet peeve

Last edited by littledrawe; 08-10-2012 at 09:37 PM.
08-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In K mount I've been pleased with the Takumar f2.5 135. While not multicoated and lacking an "A" position on the diaphragm ring it gives nice results on my ME-Super, and can be had for $60 to $70 in decent condition.
08-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
In K mount I've been pleased with the Takumar f2.5 135. While not multicoated...
Actually from what I've read it is multicoated. Just not super-multicoated.
08-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
...it seems like he has way too much stuff in his pockets...
Just when I was running out of reasons for why I find some people annoying, you have this gem.
I'm gonna use this. Thanks!

08-11-2012, 02:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You did write "inexpensive" in capital red, so the M135/3.5 gives a lot of bang for the buck. I think f/3.5 gives shallow enough shots.
The next best is the F70-210 zoom with AF. I paid £25/£29 for mine in mint/good condition.

Seb
08-11-2012, 04:08 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I want to the exact effect as this video:

Being that far from the camera and still have a blurred background.
Thanks.

-Nicole
He says in the video he's using a APS-C camera for the video and a 50mm f1.4.

so....you could do the same with your K-whatever and your "special" Takumar. (If it does really glow in the dark then maybe you don't need video lights)

The strange bulges in his shorts that "littledrawe" finds annoying are the packs for the radio mic he's using and maybe also coz he's quite enjoying showing off the gear.
08-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erd§ Quote
Just when I was running out of reasons for why I find some people annoying, you have this gem.
I'm gonna use this. Thanks!
Hopefully it was his pockets and not my comments! If they are indeed mic packs I just have one suggestion, belt clip! I have seen similar things from people who think they can conceal a handgun in their pocket, it may not be visible but if you have ever seen a gun before then you know that guy has one in his pocket! Sorry to hijack the thread, maybe we can post some shots from some of these lenses people have mentioned?!
08-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
I have seen similar things from people who think they can conceal a handgun in their pocket, it may not be visible but if you have ever seen a gun before then you know that guy has one in his pocket! Sorry to hijack the thread, maybe we can post some shots from some of these lenses people have mentioned?!
I think it's just that he has fat legs.. I've seen a few of his videos, and it doesn't look like he put anything in his pockets (or else there would be bumps)...

08-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Here is one from my Spiratone 135mm f2.8 m42 lens ($40.00 after I cashed in 11 ebay bucks) straight out of the camera shot at f4:

the leaves are about 8' away and the construction site behind them is 70' approximately
08-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Your working distance is the primary controlling consideration. If you're not comfortable with that nothing else will fall into place, IME.

There are many older M42 and K/A primes available for only the price of a good lunch. (Well, maybe some for you an' a friend anyway?)

I'd suggest you acquire a few and use them a while and learn first hand what works for you. Even (Gasp!) an econ zoom lens will provide that primary learning curve, but the primes are wonderful an' you'll keep 'em later anyway .

If you're in this for the long term, investing a very small amount in the economical older lenses is one of the great, unrecognized advantages of the Pentax line.

Also, recognize that the purpose you plan for this lens may not be inhibited in the least by the older, manual lenses in a static situation.

Having said that, may I recommend a Takumar 135/2.8 or any of the Pentax 105/2.8's as a good investment for controlled lighting conditions. (An 85/1.8 may be a little pricier! But any of the classic 50's will be more than great.)

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 08-11-2012 at 07:43 PM.
08-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #26
Pentaxian

My personal favorites are the Takumar 135mm F3.5 Preset, Takumar 200mm F3.5 Preset and Tair 3 300mm F4.5 Preset. All three lenses are extremely sharp wide open, have GREAT bokeh, and have very good color. All these lenses also render very 3D images thanks to their front mounted apertures.

Here are some examples.

Takumar 135mm F3.5 Preset

Takumar 200mm F3.5 Preset

Tair 3 300mm F4.5 Preset

08-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I want to the exact effect as this video:
What's in my camera bag(s) - my Nikon Gear - YouTube

Being that far from the camera and still have a blurred background. I know that it's probably going to be much more expensive, but I would just like to know some good lenses for when I will have the budget to spend money for a more expensive lens, by expensive I still want to spend the minimum as I don't want to be a photographer so I don't need something too expensive. (the guy in the video has a lot of pro lenses and so I'm assuming that I will probably need a pro lens to have that same effect.)

Thanks.

-Nicole
You can get a blurred background like that with all kinds of lenses. Pretty much anything 50mm or longer can do that with a fast enough aperture.

Lots of people are posting lots of things here. You say "cheap" but what kind of budget do you have? Do you care about manual focus and/or exposure? Because depending on how old the lens is, you're going to have varying degrees of automatic functions supported.
08-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Very great value is the K 135/2.5 ...this lens can be found on ebay for approx 100-130 Euros....and it is worth it. If you are looking for longer reach I had M*300/4, first star lens from Pentax.....more expensive but the results are impresive.