Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to buy something

Just wondering if any of you are like me. I'm saving up for a few lenses that are going to cost me a nice bit of pocket change. My problem is that while I'm saving my money I keep seeing all these wondering M, A and older F series lenses pop up on the marketplace and "cough" ebay and it's real hard not to pull the trigger and buy now! I know if I do I'm going to end up with a bunch of lenses covering the same focal lengths and still need to buy the other lenses I want (DA 15, 70-200 F2.8 and 17-50 F2.8)

One lens might be better in this situation than the other lens, but I know no lens is perfect. Do I stay with just primes and try to find zooms that are sharp enough to compensate. I'm starting to see how you can get caught up in LBA big time!!

08-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've been in this same situation practically every week. The way I deal with it is to just not go to the marketplace section and set alerts for the lenses that I am looking for.

From my (limited) experience, I'd say get one of the lenses you are looking to get, see if you can handle it. In my first 6 months of owning a DSLR, I jumped from some manual primes to the DA 70, and my photography skills hadn't yet matured enough to even know what to do with it. It pointed out to me a lot of my flaws in technique and composition. I ended up selling it. So, out of those lenses, find out which one you want first in order of priority, buy it, then put it on your camera for a month. Participate in the "Single In" challenge here, and figure out what the lens is good at and what it's not good at, and watch yourself grow!
08-12-2012, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
I know if I do I'm going to end up with a bunch of lenses covering the same focal lengths and still need to buy the other lenses I want (DA 15, 70-200 F2.8 and 17-50 F2.8)
those 3 lenses are worth saving up/waiting for.
08-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If it is not something I think I will keep forever (whatever that means), I only buy deals -- stuff that I can easily sell for at least what I'm going to pay or more. Then I can play with the things to my heart's desire. If I really love them I will keep them, otherwise after a while I will unload them. I find that the obsessive urge to get something goes away... once you get it. Then it is just a thing, and you can keep it or not. So the trick is not to overpay.

Last edited by vonBaloney; 08-12-2012 at 10:09 AM.
08-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
So the trick is not to overpay.
Wise words to remember
08-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter

If it is not something I think I will keep forever (whatever that means), I only buy deals -- stuff that I can easily sell for at least what I'm going to pay or more. Then I can play with the things to my heart's desire. If I really love them I will keep them, otherwise after a while I will unload them. I find that the obsessive urge to get something goes away... once you get it. Then it is just a thing, and you can keep it or not. So the trick is not to overpay.
+1 very wise philosophy.

I have only bought two lenses new, and both after much consideration and after I was sure they would be staying around as long as I'm shooting. Everything else has been bought used and if you know the value and watch carefully you can buy at a good price. Then if you do not like it or just want to try something else then it can be resold at no loss or even a profit.

Of course the hard part is actually getting around to selling them...................
08-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

And if you're often looking for things, you will invariably run across items that you have no particular interest in, but can recognize are a good deal. If the deal is only marginally good, I won't bother, but if something is insanely underpriced then I will grab it just to sell it, and thereby help finance the things that I do want.
08-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have just sold off a bunch of "deals" in order to offset the purchase price of the Tamron 70-200/2.8 and have nearly broken even. About 6 used lenses and a couple parts and I had the cash for the 70-200. It was nice using the lenses that I sold and none were dogs, but I found that they were not entirely what I wanted. I liked the range 70-210 but needed both AF and faster f for what I use it for - kids sports, hence the 70-200/2.8 with AF.

When I buy new its been the case that its because I know what I need and am willing to a) pay for it and b) want a warranty just in case. So far, other than the two original kit lenses that came with my K-x, the new lenses that I have purchased include the Tamron 70-200/2.8, Tamron 10-24, Pentax 18-135WR, Pentax 35/2.4, and Tamron 18-250. I've used each of the ones I have owned more than a couple weeks extensively and found them to be keepers. The 10-24, 18-135, and 35 are part of my go-everywhere kit. Of the used lenses I have purchased there are 2 MF and 2 AF that I consider keepers - the Macro M50 & M100 pair and my FA50 & F35-70. So, for me the process has been essentially rent a couple lenses in the range I think I want, try them out for a while, refine my needs, and either keep one and throw the others back or buy a different lens altogether and throw them all back. So far, so good.

08-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A good deal on something is not a good deal unless it meets the following 2 criteria:
1. it is something you need.
2. it is something you can afford.

Otherwise its just a financial distraction.

You have to identify why you are in photography, if it is just to get the shots you want using the best equipment possible to make it possible or easier, then a very small amount of expensive equipment is right. If you are in photography just for fun then anything is the right thing to buy and you are totally screwed because LBA and CBA gets completely out of hand in short order.

A series of fast aperture zooms that cover the whole range you need is the place to start. Then you buy primes only when you identify certain focal points you use a lot but either have insufficient speed or quality for with the zoom. With modern high end zooms most of the time prime lenses aren't even necessary anymore.
08-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
A good deal on something is not a good deal unless it meets the following 2 criteria:
1. it is something you need.
2. it is something you can afford.

Otherwise its just a financial distraction.
If I can buy something for $10 today and sell it for $100 tomorrow, that's a distraction I'll take. It doesn't even have to be photo equipment -- why would I leave money on the table?
08-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
+1 very wise philosophy.

I have only bought two lenses new, and both after much consideration and after I was sure they would be staying around as long as I'm shooting. Everything else has been bought used and if you know the value and watch carefully you can buy at a good price. Then if you do not like it or just want to try something else then it can be resold at no loss or even a profit.

Of course the hard part is actually getting around to selling them...................
If I can buy something for $10 today and sell it for $100 tomorrow, that's a distraction I'll take. It doesn't even have to be photo equipment -- why would I leave money on the table?
There is a lot of advice here that I agree with. If I see a bargain I want to try I'll buy it, especially if I'm sure I can at least break even, and you can usually profit. I have funded most of my "bought new" lenses this way and had fun using several lenses (I have owned a total of 69 since February of 2009. I've found a couple of decent autofocus lenses to supply my daughter (k-x) and a give a ZX 30 and a couple of lenses to a nephew. You do find keepers, but sometimes they are only keepers until something better comes along. I found a Tamron 28-105/4-5.6 that has served me well. But I bought the K-30 with the 18-135 for the WR, and love the lens, and it obviously totally encompasses the 28-105 range. It's a bit of a struggle to sell that one, but it will help fund the K-30 so I'll have to do it. I already gave my daughter a "twin" Promaster that is identical and just as sharp. You can lose money on them, I've bought a couple of "dogs" that I could not re-sell without taking a bath, you have to list honestly. Have Fun!
08-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
There is a lot of advice here that I agree with. If I see a bargain I want to try I'll buy it, especially if I'm sure I can at least break even, and you can usually profit. I have funded most of my "bought new" lenses this way and had fun using several lenses (I have owned a total of 69 since February of 2009. I've found a couple of decent autofocus lenses to supply my daughter (k-x) and a give a ZX 30 and a couple of lenses to a nephew. You do find keepers, but sometimes they are only keepers until something better comes along. I found a Tamron 28-105/4-5.6 that has served me well. But I bought the K-30 with the 18-135 for the WR, and love the lens, and it obviously totally encompasses the 28-105 range. It's a bit of a struggle to sell that one, but it will help fund the K-30 so I'll have to do it. I already gave my daughter a "twin" Promaster that is identical and just as sharp. You can lose money on them, I've bought a couple of "dogs" that I could not re-sell without taking a bath, you have to list honestly. Have Fun!
I have had the same experience with the 28-105 and the 18-135 simply replacing and exceeding it. Sold it to offset the cost of the 70-200 and do not miss it, despite it being a very nice lens.
08-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Docrwm and ramseybuckeye if you noticed in the lenses I own now you see that I have the A 35-105 which I really like a lot. Just wish it was wider and had autofocus. I can almost see myself selling it to get the 18-135 AF.
08-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If you want something that fills a gap in your current lens bag but doesn't really cost much, look at the DA 35/2.4. It's ~$200 new and ~$150 used, has great IQ especially for the price, and you don't have any AF primes in that focal range.
08-13-2012, 03:21 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
Docrwm and ramseybuckeye if you noticed in the lenses I own now you see that I have the A 35-105 which I really like a lot. Just wish it was wider and had autofocus. I can almost see myself selling it to get the 18-135 AF.
That was the limitation shortfall of the 28-105 too, I've used that extra width and length quite often. I have an 18-55 but rarely used it, it is up for sale with my K20D on ebay now.

QuoteOriginally posted by msatlas Quote
If you want something that fills a gap in your current lens bag but doesn't really cost much, look at the DA 35/2.4. It's ~$200 new and ~$150 used, has great IQ especially for the price, and you don't have any AF primes in that focal range.
It's an awesome lens. I'm looking forward to trying it on video.