Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2006, 09:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Review: SMC Pentax-FA 35mm f2.0 AL

My most used lens the FA35/2...

This lens is nice and compact, extremely good opitcal quality, infact I have compared it to the 31 ltd and the only difference is in the bokeh caused by the fact the FA35 only has 6 blades... The slight difference to me isn't worth the massive price difference, but some want the best and thats fair enough..

The outer shell of this lens is plastic making it rather light weight, and it comes with a nice bayonet clip on hood.. The hood has a small cutout at the bottom (like many Pentax lenses) so you can turn a polariser without having to take the hood off..

The filter thread is the stadard Pentax 49mm, and the lens weighs in at 195gm..

The lens is also not prone to flare nor CA/PF that I get sometimes with the 50/1.4... The 35/2 is also very sharp even wide open... The AF is also very fast I guess due to its size and weight...

Overall Rating - 4.7

Construction - 5 - Small and light, I don't mind the plastic shell as it is still strong and helps keep the weight down..

Usage - 5 - Its a wonderful lens to use..

Optical - 4.5 - I can only take half a mark off here as it has only 6 blades. This means that sometimes rings of light in the bokeh are hexagons rather than round. If they had gone for more blades I would have no desire at all to upgrade to the 31 ltd (not that I can afford it or justify it)..

Some Samples

This is the best part some sample shots with this lens...

If you want any more detail let me know, will do my best to answer all questions..

Last edited by joele; 01-01-2007 at 04:26 AM.
01-01-2007, 03:57 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Hi Joel,
you have a faulty FA35: They usually come with 6 aperture blades.

I don't mind you removing this post if you change that in your review. I also think it should be mentioned that there is no QuickFocus mechanism.

Until somebody comes up with a better lens (the upcoming DA35 perhaps, let's hope it will be a f/1.4) the FA35 really should be the PentaxForums officially recommended standard prime for the Pentax APS sensor cameras!

regards,
01-01-2007, 04:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry your right, I'll fix it.. The 35/2 has 6 blades and the 31 has 9...

I'll use the new years day excuse (big night last night)..

Must agree with this being the standard prime, it is my most used lens by far...
01-01-2007, 08:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

There is something about your style, the way you see things. Good stuff. For some reason on the first 3 shots the word that comes to mind is 'pithy'. Down and into it type of composition.

01-02-2007, 09:45 PM   #5

nice review and excellent photos. i currently have the sigma 30/1.4, which has been my standard normal lens on canon and minolta previously... but the pentax 35/2 seems to be a better performer than its counterparts from the other manufacturers. the drop in size and weight are appealing, but there is the slight loss of speed. hmm... a side-by-side of the 2 lenses at f/2 (or perhaps at f/2.8) might prove useful. i wonder if anyone has both...
01-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I guess Pentax may have made some changes to this lens. I had one 8 or 9 years ago on my ZX-5n and it was horrible. I may have to rethink this lens choice as I am not real happy with my 28 f/2.8 F lens. It is no better than the stock 18~55 zoom so I seldom use it (the 28).

Walt
01-03-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
in what way was your FA35 bad?

The F28/2.8 is pretty poor, the FA28 is better but I still sold mine as I think the FA35 is much better..

07-05-2009, 08:27 AM   #8

What's the minimum focus distance?

i want a 35mm macro, so its

This lens vs. 35mm macro limited vs. a Zeiss Flektogon 35mm macro...I'm leaning towards the latter, but modern builds, gauranteed clean galss, and autofocus can come in handy with the newer lenses....comparing lenses is a pita
07-05-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Psynema Quote

This lens vs. 35mm macro limited vs. a Zeiss Flektogon 35mm macro...I'm leaning towards the latter, but modern builds, gauranteed clean galss, and autofocus can come in handy with the newer lenses....comparing lenses is a pita

2.5 years between posts in this thread

It's like a tap into an old tree to see the early rings... who was posting then, etc.

07-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Psynema Quote

Minimum focus distance = 0.3 meters (about 1:6 assuming I did the math correctly).

Steve
04-29-2010, 03:49 AM   #11

that's a great lens, i am saving to get one