Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #1

Another help with lens question.

Hi all,

Firstly, let me apologize if this has been asked a million times...I'd be happy to be shown a link if that's the case.

I'm currently a Canon user, but love what I've seen from the K-5 images. So I'm planning on getting one to try out, not to replace my Canon gear, just to supplement it.

I've been doing some reading but there is just so much info it's taking a lot longer than I want lol. So I'm hoping you can help me narrow down my search. I shoot portraits, weddings, macro, and landscape.

I'm really looking for a 3 lens setup in the following ranges: 14mm, 50mm, 100mm (or somewhere close to these focal lengths), the faster the better. Only interested in Primes (unless there's a gem of a zoom, but I usually prefer primes). If one of these can duplicate as a macro that would be great.

So, any thoughts to which lenses I should start looking at?

What are considered the 'best of the best' for the K-5?

Thanks a bunch!

08-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax has a 14/f2.8 or smaller 15/f4, a new 50/f1.8 or the more expensive FA50/f1.4, and a 100 macro.

Buying used of course has a few more possibilities, particulary for 50s.

Check the lens database and lens samples shot pages.
08-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
.... which are here:
Pentax DA Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
and here:
Pentax D FA Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

There's also the DFA 50 2.8 macro if 2.8 is fast enough for you and you want the macro in this range.
If you're not set on having the 100mm as a macro, then there's the DA 70 f/2.4 limited.

Of the lenses on this page, the fa31, fa43 and fa77 are still available new and if you're lucky the FA50 pops up now and then, but it's a dreamy lens so only get it if you want that look.
Pentax FA Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
The fa43 and fa77 are also good alternatives for you.

The DA and DFA lenses feature quick shift auto focus, the FA lenses require you to manually switch to auto focus.
08-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
.... Of the lenses on this page, the fa31, fa43 and fa77 are still available new and if you're lucky the FA50 pops up now and then, but it's a dreamy lens so only get it if you want that look.
Just pick up The Three Amigos....