Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Opinions on Sigma 50-500 non OS version

Hi guys,

A friend's friend is selling his Sigma 50-500 non OS lens as he is jumping ship to canon.

I STF and can only find one relevant thread that talks about a non OS version of this lens.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/184752-older-s...r-version.html

I am interested to get this lens for birding....and would like to ask if it is worthwhile for me to look into this further, considering that the lens is showing signs of use (but does not look too bad really)....a bit of lens creep but not too serious....

What do you guys think? Is this a good lens to get?

Thanks
raider

08-13-2012, 01:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have been using the old non-OS, non-HSM version for a couple of years now. It is build like a tank and a bite of paint loss or some exterior scratches won't do any harm to its workings. Optically it is a fine lens, considering the zoom range. At the long end it might not be up to the standards of a long tele prime lens - but in the Pentax portfolio there simply isn't any competitive lens. One thing you should keep in mind, if you did not use lenses that long already: it takes some practicing, before you will achieve really sharp images handheld. I know, the 50-500 is often used handheld, but I guess, that those reports about softness and reduced sharpness at the 500 mm end, can be attributed to a large extend to users, who cannot handhold the 500mm shake free. Even with in-camera SR + a short 1/1000s exposure time, you will often have slightly blurred images with such a long fl.

So, long story, short conclusion: buy the lens and make great photos. Step down to f/8-f/11 to have some depth of field and also to maximise contrast. Then you may get really great results. Using a monopod or a solid tripod will give you sharp results from the start on.

Ben
08-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ben...very well thought response. I will give the buyer a buzz...
08-13-2012, 03:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Forgot to ask.....is $500 AUD a fair market price for this lens?

08-13-2012, 04:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Forgot to ask.....is $500 AUD a fair market price for this lens?
I am not really sure how the exchange rates go, but it looks decidedly cheap to me.

Ben
08-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ben. Appreciated your help again.
08-14-2012, 02:12 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

I'll chime in here and agree that the 50-500 is a good lens, and $500AUD sounds cheap. I had one for several years, and just finally sold it and (illogically) bought the new one with HSM and OS. The stabilized viewfinder is nice and HSM is nice, but I'm sure it wasn't worth the extra I paid.

Buy the Bigma for $500. There's really no other lens like it out there.

Of course, this is a good excuse for me to post some of my favorite images taken with that lens on the K20 or K100.

08-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

And just for comparison, here are a few shots from the BigmOS on my K5.

Here's a moon shot taken with the K-01. I was barely able to overcome the lack of a viewfinder.

All in all, I don't think there's a significant difference in IQ, especially for the price difference. My BigmOS shots might be a tad sharper, but that could be down to the K5, the built-in OS, better technique by me, LR4 vs LR2 or LR3, or random chance. I like the BigmOS, but if I were you, I'd snatch up the Bigma at that price.

08-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great shots rfortson!! Very impressive.

Just an update on the bigma that I am wanting to buy......unfortunately I lose the deal as the seller has prioritized selling this to his cousin, who also wanted the same lens and is also a pentax shooter. I am cool with it because it is afterall family first.

But now that I know that this is a good lens, I will definitely be getting one if another happens to cross my path.

Thanks again for all the many contributions to this thread.
08-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
......., who also wanted the same lens and is also a pentax shooter.......
Bummer. how unlikely is that... Having 2 Pentax users in one of the remotest major cities on the planet wanting the same lens at the same time.

Might want to buy a lottery ticket , the odds of winning is better.
08-16-2012, 01:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@steve: Well...i think he is not in Perth though (but i am not sure)...and I dont know him personally..what I know is that he is the cousin of the seller (whom I also dont know personally) but the seller is a friend of my friend....so that's how complicated the relationship is

But I think you are right....buying lottery is the way to go here