Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2012, 02:50 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As a teenager, I remember calling at a mate's place to find him very angry that he'd backed his car over the chromed steel towball cover from his towbar. The cover was then oval shaped and wouldn't fit over the towball any more. Now, my mate is a big solid bloke, strong as an ox. I was, how do you say, a bit weedy at the time. He'd been trying his best to bend it back into shape with his bare hands, so as not to damage the chrome coating in a vise, and he'd given up. He handed it to me, and with a wry smile, said I could have it if I could fix it. I locked my fingers together, palms up, and had the bent towball cover between my palms. It didn't take too much effort to bend it back to round. The look of amazement in his eyes was priceless, and one that I still recall almost 30 years later. So, if the hood's a bit egg-shaped, have a good look at simple remedies first, although $65 isn't too big of a deal, I suppose.
And if all else fails, wrap it in a tea-towel. Just make sure the "I've been to Indiana" wording is spelled correctly.....

Regards

12-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think the HK$500/US$65 was well spent (though stupidly required!). I hate to think what the pressures of a vice might have done to the bulb!

Big up to Sigma too, as they did it in TWO days, and gave it back looking like new. It is off to near the Thai / Cambodia border on Sunday. Woohoo!