Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Aargh! Just bent the metal lens hood on my Sigma 8-16

Accidentally bashed it last night, and now the lens cap won't even fit. D'oh!

Any advice how to get it back in proper shape? Are there vices with varying radii attachments?

Would rather not have to resort to pliers and a tea-towel!

08-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're probably going to have to replace it if you want something that looks presentable, though pliers could probably at least bend the mount into shape!
08-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You're probably going to have to replace it if you want something that looks presentable, though pliers could probably at least bend the mount into shape!
Thanks, but it's not a replaceable item. Metal and attached to the lens. That's the bugger.

Plus the lens is a major bulb, so without a lens cap it's not really able to be taken anywhere in a bag.

(Emoticon of me strangling myself whilst simultaneously laughing and trying to puke)
08-13-2012, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm not a diy type so I'd bite the bullet and send it to Sigma. Paying the price does wonders for the guilt.

08-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suppose if you had a bandsaw and a circle-cutting jig and some scrap MDF and clamps, you wouldn't be asking for advice.
08-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Could at least post a picture for users to judge
08-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Accidentally bashed it last night, and now the lens cap won't even fit. D'oh!

Any advice how to get it back in proper shape?!
You might try contacting this service:

The Zeiss Ikon Contax Camera Repair Website - Overhauling A Contax IIA/IIIA - Lenses

(see "What Can be Done For a Filter Ring Dent?")

and asking them if they can handle it.

Or: You could try contacting Sigma, see if they're able to help.

Disclosure: I have no experience or connection with either of these personally.

08-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Would rather not have to resort to pliers and a tea-towel!
First of all, my sympathies. But I'm gonna go ahead and ask the question that is surely on most people's mind...what's a tea-towel?
08-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe, it you are inclined, you can have a tentative go at straightening the bend (or bending the straight).

Look at the whole hood, using the lense cap as a circular guide, and visualise which bits are bent in which direction.

To bend it back into a circle:

I would suggest looking for a tin/bottle/tube that is the same or smaller diameter than the hood. It will need a strong and square edge.

You can use the cylinder as something to press the lense hood against, forming it back into shape. Now the cylinder will have to be clamped/held by something else, as it would be too dangerous for the lense if you are hand holding both of them.

Visualize what shape it needs to be, and relate that to pressing the appropriate area onto the tube. I would hold the lense body and press the lense down.

Of course all surfaces will need to be cushioned with tea towels or whatever, and the lense as covered as it can be.

The material will be aluminium, so some pressure will be required to get the material moving, but not much.

If you have a soft go, and it moves in the right direction, great. Keep on trying.

I wouldn't recommend pliers, as they are small and will only bend a little bit at a time. Which would make it worse.

So if you are feeling confident at applying some controlled force, millimeters away from a lense, go for it.

.T
08-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Turtle Quote

So if you are feeling confident at applying some controlled force, millimeters away from a lense, go for it.

.T
Lol, no pressure then! Cheers for the advice.

I'll go to Sigma first and give that a go if they can't help.
08-14-2012, 01:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
First of all, my sympathies. But I'm gonna go ahead and ask the question that is surely on most people's mind...what's a tea-towel?
A tea towel (English) or dish towel (American) is a cloth which is used to dry dishes, cutlery, etc., after they have been washed. In 18th century England, a tea towel was a special linen drying cloth used by the mistress of the house to dry her precious and expensive china tea things.
08-14-2012, 01:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I suppose if you had a bandsaw and a circle-cutting jig and some scrap MDF and clamps, you wouldn't be asking for advice.
Unfortunately Hong Kong is not the sort of place where people typically have space for that kind of stuff!
08-14-2012, 02:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks, but it's not a replaceable item. Metal and attached to the lens. That's the bugger.
Of course it is replaceable. Take it to Sigma. I needed a new one for the FA31Ltd; repair center did manage to 'straighten' it more or less, but it still looked ugly. New one was about US$100 (converted from local currency) including labor.
08-14-2012, 02:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Of course it is replaceable. Take it to Sigma. I needed a new one for the FA31Ltd; repair center did manage to 'straighten' it more or less, but it still looked ugly. New one was about US$100 (converted from local currency) including labor.
OK. Thanks. It just doesn't look very replaceable, but neither did the hood on my FA31.
12-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, found a nice resort for Christmas and thought it a shame not to have a wide lens, so finally took it over to Sigma to fix.

Grand total of HK$500/US$65. 3 days wait (I hope).