Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
A example of price gouging in eBay

I have never seen a used Tokina 80-200mm f/2.8 zoom lens with PKA mount in mint shape sell for much more than $600 on eBay. Then I came across this ad just the other day. The buy-it-now price is staggering. I honestly don't know what this person is thinking.

Tokina AT-X Pro 80-200mm (pentax auto focus) lens | eBay

08-13-2012, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw that too when I was searching for a 70/80-200 2.8 lens. It really is an absurd price.
I understand that it isn't a very common lens in Pentax mount, but I could get a new Tamron with warranty for around $700 or even a better, a new Sigma model for that price.
08-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Trouble being, some naive, ill informed person is likely to pay up. I certainly hope not.
08-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Some people have an inflated opinion of what there stuff is worth. If you are interested, send a message with an offer.

08-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LXNights Quote
I honestly don't know what this person is thinking.
That "there's a sucker born every minute".
08-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I already talked with this guy. He is completely blissful in his belief he will sell this at this price. I keep a watch on it to see if some sucker goes for this. The Tamron is an excellent choice, and if I had the green right now I'd go for it, since it would match up with my other Tamrons. But I can wait on the Tokina as well, there always is one that pops up here and there, and with a far more realistic price. I am in no hurry, especially since I currently own a manual focus Tamron 80-200mm f/2.8, which will do me just fine until I can afford the AF.
08-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't see it as price gouging, it is an auction after all, someone could just bid the lowest price at the last minute.

The way I put up my eBay auctions is this:

starting price - the least amount of money I would be prepared to loose the item
buyout price - the most amount of money I would reasonably expect if a bidding war happens + a markup (can be up to 50% depending on rarity of item)

My reasoning is, if someone wants to buy it for a decent/bargain price they will bid, if someone is in such a hurry to buy it whatever reason they may have they will buyout. People often contact me for my high buyout prices and I would just tell them to bid if the buyout is too high for them. I dont get a lot of buyouts but my items often sell from bids.

For that listing though I agree the starting bid is a bit high, but no problems with the buy out
08-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

KEH briefly had one in EX condition for $460 not too long ago.

But hey, very simple solution here. Don't buy it.