Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2006, 09:54 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Review: Sigma 70-300mm 4-5.6 DG APO Macro

This is a budget-priced zoom that produces generally good images, but a bit soft around 300mm. It has a macro switch to allow close focusing in the 200-300mm range. Fairly lightweight though a bit bulky, when at 300mm and close focused, the length is over 10", so you can't really be inconspicuous. Note there are a couple versions of the lens, and supposedly the APO version is the only "good" one.

Here are some samples.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo   
01-03-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

the lens isnt as soft as the images suggest.. the people in number 2 are out of focus.. the lens has focused on the building in the distance..

the bee in number 3 is also out of focus..

number one has the focus thow..

a macro example from my sigma 70 x 300 apo dg which gives a better example of what the lens can do wide open at 300mm..

the original images do not do the lens justice.. its capable of far better..

soft is a relative term and compared with any other 300mm lens it isnt soft its pretty sharp.. he he

sorry to kinda differ from your views but differ i do..

there might be some variation in copies that i dont know.. but i think the original images would be in multipoint auto focus mine is in spot mode..

trog
01-03-2007, 03:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
the lens isnt as soft as the images suggest.. the people in number 2 are out of focus.. the lens has focused on the building in the distance..
Yes, the building was the focus, not the people. None of these shots are about being soft around 300mm.

QuoteQuote:
the bee in number 3 is also out of focus..
Hand held in macro mode, so it was about f8 at best :-)

QuoteQuote:
number one has the focus thow..
That was at 70mm.

QuoteQuote:

the original images do not do the lens justice.. its capable of far better..

soft is a relative term and compared with any other 300mm lens it isnt soft its pretty sharp.. he he
Others report the same softness, however. And yes it is relative. But it seems softer at 300 than mid range - I'm not comparing it to other lenses.

QuoteQuote:
sorry to kinda differ from your views but differ i do..
You don't have to be sorry. I'm just pointing out what I experience.

QuoteQuote:
there might be some variation in copies that i dont know..
That is a common complaint.

QuoteQuote:
but i think the original images would be in multipoint auto focus mine is in spot mode..
I shot these in selective AF point using the center point. It is the same result - using the center focus point.

Last edited by SpecialK; 01-03-2007 at 07:02 PM.
01-03-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

i tried two sigma 70 x 300s.. trying to save a little money i bought a bargain basement older apo but none dg one.. it was just a left over one they had..

when i tested it.. it went soft wide open at 300mm.. at F8 pin sharp.. wide open soft.. looking closer the best focus point was right up in the top right corner of the lens..

i think i know why it was the odd one left over.. he he

i sent it straight back and got the current dg version.. which apart from the fault wide open at 300mm was hard to tell apart from the earlier version..

anyways here is what it does at 300mm one full frame and one 100% crop from the first shot.. its quite good on the fringes as well.. apart from that the cheaper tamron 70 x 300 compares well with it..

the lens focuses well and is very usable.. i give it the best of the lot rating unless u want to spend mega bucks.. then all i think u would get is faster glass not much else....

just lens test pics..

trog