Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member

As SpecialK and Zav suggest....

You cannot call yourself a "hoarder" with 1 body and 5-6 lenses. When the urge is so high, sit tight, and wait it out. Its always exciting to get new lenses. Use the 90 and 85 back to back, and you will find they may have individual appealing strengths. You have a few that you should not get rid off that easily, and some that you could have a lower threshold to move. If you do so, think about getting fast primes down the line.

Easy to buy, tough to sell.... And yes, welcome to the forum.

08-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you really want to slim down to 3 or 4 lenses, here's what I would do;
Sell 18-55, 28-105, and the 85 if you don't really like/use them, but if they have characteristics that you like, go ahead and keep 'em.

Buy a Sigma 17-50 2.8 or Tamron 17-50 2.8 (there is also a 28-75 2.8, if you don't need it being that wide but want a little further zoom reach).

This way, you've got the 17-50 2.8, 50 1.4 (a fast fifty is a must!), 70-300, and the 90. You are covered with fast glass up to 90mm.

Maybe further down the road it would be worth replacing the 70-300 with a faster lens such as DA* 50-135 2.8 or Tamron/Sigma 70-200 2.8, if you need it. If you need something fast that is 200mm+, it will probably cost you a kidney, though.
08-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I'd like to disagree with this statement - the Tamron 90 is fantastic for portraits because of it's exceptional bokeh. At F2.8, it isn't as sharp as the Sigma 105 or the Pentax DFA 100. It may show blemishes more, but it is not that difficult to reduce the clarity. It is difficult, however, to get as good a bokeh as the Tamron 90.
I'd agree with that statement, too. I was careful with my wording, and based it on other comments I've seen throughout the forums. Some people will definitely feel as you do, some will prefer to use something less staggeringly sharp than a macro lens. It all comes down to individual style and preference, I was just suggesting that OP shoot with both and decide for himself.

The 85 f./2 is a little faster, too, which might be useful in some circumstances. I still say OP should not be in a rush to sell anything. He doesn't have anything excessive, at all.
08-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I'd agree with that statement, too. I was careful with my wording, and based it on other comments I've seen throughout the forums. Some people will definitely feel as you do, some will prefer to use something less staggeringly sharp than a macro lens. It all comes down to individual style and preference, I was just suggesting that OP shoot with both and decide for himself.

The 85 f./2 is a little faster, too, which might be useful in some circumstances. I still say OP should not be in a rush to sell anything. He doesn't have anything excessive, at all.
With that in mind, I will agree with what you are saying - use the 85/2 and figure out if it's needed or not.

08-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wow, I'm amazed at the quick replies from everybody. This has been a plethora of great advice. Really gives me more to think about. Maybe I will keep them all, and just leave a couple on the shelf at times when I know I won't need them. I am sadly disappointed on all the reviews I've seen on this thread about the 28-105. I assumed with 2.8-4.0 speed, it would be a halfway decent lens for low light stuff. I also just got the Sigma 610 super flash, so I won't be solely depending on natural light for that lens to produce stellar images on it own. I guess I'll see when I get it, it should be in the mailbox today.
08-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Isnwm Quote
I'm a beginner photographer, I've been doing it a couple months now, and acquired quite a bit of equipment in a short amount of time. I've sadly become a lens hoarder. I have a Pentax K-5, Pentax 18-55 kit lens, Sigma 28-105 2.8-4.0, Pentax SMC FA 50mm f/1.4, Mitakon 85mm f/2.0, Sigma 70-300 macro f/4-5.6 , and most recently a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro. My question is.... I'm trying to get down to 3, maybe 4 lenses. I think 6 is a bit much. Especially considering three of them are considered portrait lenses (50,85,90). The 50 & 85 are for full frame cameras, so really they're more like 75 & 127. The 90 tamron is made for crop sensors so, that's a true 90. Can someone please help me out and tell me which "portrait lens" to keep ? Also, I think I'm going to sell the 18-55 since I have the 28-105 and it's a faster lens than the 18-55. Any help on this consolidation effort would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
you've barely begun grasshopper
6 lenses is nothing (I have more than 6 50's i think - some people have more than 100 50';s here)

that being said if I was to pare that down I would keep the 50 1.4 and the tamron 90 for certain since they are both excellent lenses and the tamron gives you macro as well as the ability to be a tighter portrait lens. The 18-55 if it is the WR is worth keeping until you get another general purpose WR lens if you go shooting in inclement weather - it's not got huge resale value in any case so worth keeping just for that. that leaves the 28-105, 70-300 and the 85 2.0 to sell. don't know the 85 though a quick search on gargle shows nothing special about it aside from price so i would let it go the tamron is better across the board. that leaves the 2 zooms. they have a huge level of convenience, though neither is anything particularly special (all your primes are better) unless you really need the cash, i'd hold on to them until you have something better to cover the range (for instance a better zoom, or a couple of rpimes that cover the range you typically shoot with them - look at the exif data to see what FL you use most)
08-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by subidoc Quote

Easy to buy, tough to sell.... And yes, welcome to the forum.
Plus 1 to this, every time I sell a lens I regret it.

08-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are you satisfied with all your lenses? If yes, then keep them all. Don't sell anything unless you either have become unsatisfied with a lens or you have found one which satisfies you better than what you have for a given focal range.

I have 10 lenses, and I plan to add to my collection two others, the DA 70mm and Pentax's planned 20-35 ltd. zoom. I don't consider myself a hoarder. I could sell a couple of lenses: the Tak 35/3.5 and the K 55/1.8. I don't use the Tak 35/3.5 that much, and the 55 is between my DA 40 and the DA 70, which I prefer to the manual 55... But I love them, and I won't get much for them, so why sell them? Sometimes I just want to offer myself the experience of shooting with something different, something like an old manual lens. (I have manual Rokinons, but those have the A setting, and don't give me the same feeling as the Pentax old primes. Besides, the Rokis weigh a ton.)

Last edited by causey; 08-15-2012 at 01:53 PM.
08-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Isnwm Quote
Really ? You'd dump the 28-105 over the 18-55 ? That's interesting. I know the 18-55 is a wider lens, but the 28-105 is a more versatile lens, and it's faster. I didn't think I'd miss the 10mm focal length difference. I know it's not worth much, the most I'd reasonably expect to get would be $50. I paid $150 for the 28-105. I'm not being argumentative , and I appreciate the advice. I'm just surprised that you recommend the 18-55 over the 28-105.
I don't know how good the 28-105 is, but 28 is not very wide. The 90 covers the longer end for now. Any lens is only "versatile" if it does what you want - and for wide angle that one is not it (though neither is the 18-55).
08-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Much too early for you to decide!

Get out and shoot using all the lenses. Take your time.

Analyse the results both subjectively and objectively.

Analyse the exif data for the shots you like and will keep.

You'll then know the lenses/focal lengths you like and those you don't, (and can dispose of).

QED

PS. Done this myself. Kept ALL the lenses.
08-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
PS. Done this myself. Kept ALL the lenses.
Hee hee hee - that's the trouble with that approach!

The OP has two questions to answer - is there anything about the 28-105 that the 18-55 can't do? Better IQ, do you use the added reach, is the speed helpful etc. And is the 85 any better than the 90 in any way. I will bet the second answer will be no. I wouldn't stress about 6 lenses, but I wouldn't need both an 85mm lens and a 90mm macro. Oh wait, I have both, nevermind.
08-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Everything I was going to write
What she said
08-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #28

Some have been negative of the Sigma 28-105.I am not familiar with this lens but I have a Promaster 28-105 which is the same as the FA 28-105 ,it is one of my favorites,the best all around daylight lens in my collection.The only reason to get rid of it is if the IQ is bad or it has some other problem.
08-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #29

Photos: Albums
Isnwm, you don't say what kind of photography you like to do, possibly because you are just starting out, which I think is perfectly natural. You should wait and see how your interests develop and that will sort out what lenses to keep, sell or acquire. I've bought six lenses to go with my K-5, three of these are for fun and relaxation (35 and 100 mm macros and 55-300 zoom -- bugs and birds). Three are for indoor and outdoor events (50 1.4 for low light; 18-135 WR for any weather; Sigma 10-20 for wide crowd shots and the like). Have been considering one of the short telephoto lenses in the 17-70 2.8 range for indoor use so I don't have to switch lenses in a faster paced event, but the present set up works.

While I realize you are trying to pare down your lenses, I will point out an potential hole in your present line-up -- you lack a WR lens. I got the 18-135 WR as my first lens for that very reason and it's gotten me through some bad weather. You might want to get rid of the 18-55 kit and get the WR version, if you see a need to be shooting outdoors in bad weather from time to time.

So, give some thought to what kind of photos you like or need to take and that should help sort things out.

Last edited by NotSteve; 08-15-2012 at 05:30 PM.
08-16-2012, 05:53 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote

While I realize you are trying to pare down your lenses, I will point out an potential hole in your present line-up -- you lack a WR lens. I got the 18-135 WR as my first lens for that very reason and it's gotten me through some bad weather. You might want to get rid of the 18-55 kit and get the WR version, if you see a need to be shooting outdoors in bad weather from time to time.

So, give some thought to what kind of photos you like or need to take and that should help sort things out.
I believe if the kit lens came with his K5 it is the WR version Steve