Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2008, 08:48 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
no... you have a Lens, it costs X dollars give or take 50 bucks depending on where you buy it from.

the Lens has Y focal length or Z zoom range, at B aperture, C weight, and D size.

it is either soft, sharp, or really sharp, you can also throw in a really really sharp bit for extra points.

it either focuses fast, or it focuses slow

it either vignettes alot, or not too much

it either has chromatic abrasions or it doesnt

and some other stuff...

very cut, clear, to the point.

then Lets see we have a stock

- how much does it cost now
- how much will it cost tommorow,
- you have to do research on the company to find out where the company is heading
- you are researching INFORMATION, that may or not be truthful, information that is then interpreted by someone with different personal RISK assessments
- do you short sell the stock?
- do you get options for it instead?
- do you plan on doing it short term or long term?
- are you going to hedge your investment
- where are you going to hedge your investment in relation to this stock?
- more research

blah blah blah blah

everything in the stock market is based on research of information that is never guaranteed to be 100% true, and is processed by people to make an always varying decision based on their own personal risk assessments.

apples and oranges, i'm surprised i even had to explain it to you!

let me put it to you in another way

you have ISO ( International Organization for Standardization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) have competition, lets have ISO-A ISO-B and ISO-C run around the world with their different of standards... yeah, that would be fun.
That's chromatic "aberrations" not "abrasions". I'm surprised I had to explain it to you.

01-31-2008, 08:51 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tbear Quote
That's chromatic "aberrations" not "abrasions". I'm surprised I had to explain it to you.
thats your rebuttal?

01-31-2008, 08:55 AM   #33

thats your rebuttal?

Gooshin, my friend, let me say this. If every lens was built exactly the same, with all elements lined up exactly the same, then your argument would have some merit. But we all know that there is tremendous variability in the quality of DA* 16-50 lenses out there, for example. By having, say 10 people analyze 10 DIFFERENT versions of this lens, then we can actually come up with some useful information, no?
01-31-2008, 08:59 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Gooshin, my friend, let me say this. If every lens was built exactly the same, with all elements lined up exactly the same, then your argument would have some merit. But we all know that there is tremendous variability in the quality of DA* 16-50 lenses out there, for example. By having, say 10 people analyze 10 DIFFERENT versions of this lens, then we can actually come up with some useful information, no?
yes, i agree

have 10 different people, analyse 10 different versions of the lens

but, all i ask, is that they all do it in the same lab, with the same hardware, with the same lighting, using the same props, preferably using the same camera.

that is all.

01-31-2008, 09:02 AM   #35

yes, i agree

have 10 different people, analyse 10 different versions of the lens

but, all i ask, is that they all do it in the same lab, with the same hardware, with the same lighting, using the same props, preferably using the same camera.

that is all.
Well, I agree with your most recent statement, so take that! Naturally, in an ideal world it would be preferred for all testers out there to use the exact same testing methodology.
01-31-2008, 09:12 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Well, I agree with your most recent statement, so take that! Naturally, in an ideal world it would be preferred for all testers out there to use the exact same testing methodology.
a man can only dream
01-31-2008, 12:58 PM   #37
Pentaxian

This is commercial technical journalism. "B" is not trying to replicate the findings of "A". Each is appoaching it with a technical interest, their own idea how best to do testing (with their own egos and a belief that their site is the best at what they do - good luck if you can get them to agree) and, usually, a desire to create interesting enough articles to attract hits/views and hence generate advertising revenue.

Why would such sites duplicate the test procedures? It's:
A and B,
or
A vs B,
not
A and A[alt].

Last edited by dosdan; 01-31-2008 at 01:20 PM.
01-31-2008, 01:10 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
This is Technical Journalism, not Scientific Research. "B" is not try to replicate the findings of "A". Each is appoaching it with a technical interest, their own idea how best to do testing (with their own egos and a belief that their site is the best at what they do - good luck if you can get them to agree) and, usually, an interest to create interesting enough articles to attract hits/views and hence generate advertising revenue.

Why would such sites duplicate the test procedures? It's A and B, or A vs B, not A and A[alt].

if the testing procedures are not controlled then there is little weight in comparing the opinions of the testers

just more reports to read with little conclusive results

i mean, if thats what you guys want, just more junk to read that wont correlate much with each other, go right ahead.