01-29-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
Forum Member

DPReview now tests lenses

Lens Reviews: Digital Photography Review

Pentax 18-55 f3.5-5.6 and 16-45 f4 are posted

01-29-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I only read the one for the 18-55, but it was quite complimentary. Sort of surprising for DPReview, IMHO.
01-29-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
I only read the one for the 18-55, but it was quite complimentary. Sort of surprising for DPReview, IMHO.
You should have read the Canon EF-S 17-85. It got the kiss of death on the recommendation " Recommended (with reservations)"
01-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I kind of like the interactive charts, and how you can compare side by side with another lens

The pentaxes came out better than the canons, overall.

01-29-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Why are they waiting until NOW to test those two lenses? The 18-55mm is about to be replaced, and the 16-45mm has been out for some time now. Maybe they need to take the 'Review' out of their name and just be DP.com
01-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice to see though. maybe they are seeing Pentax as a serious contender, worthy of having a closer look. Now for some DA* reviews....
01-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I kind of like the interactive charts, and how you can compare side by side with another lens

The pentaxes came out better than the canons, overall.
Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't see it since I didn't pay much attention to that interactive graphic (too complicated for me).

01-29-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

They do have the sophisticate look in their reviews. Since they just got into this business of reviewing lenses, just give them some time to acquire more samples and review more up to date glasses. However, I do hope they do pick lenses that haven't been reviewed by photozone (or do a review of the same lens on different system). Photozone data gear more toward the Canikon, thus comparing Pentax against some third-party lenses is hard to be conclusive. But i guess that's just wishful thinking.
01-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

if they were smart they would go into a partnership with photozone.de

but we all know the chances of an American clasping hands with a European.....

instead Phil is going to do double the work thats photozone has been doing for quite some time, brilliant.
01-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote

instead Phil is going to do double the work thats photozone has been doing for quite some time, brilliant.
I disagree. I love and trust photozone.de for my lens reviews, and will continue to as long as Klaus keeps it up, but I want to have second opinions (and thirds, and fourths). I can't go by just one. Photozone.de seems pretty unmatched, and I would love to see other highly detailed reviews to see how different lens samples stack up. True, it'll probably take DPreview a while to build up a reputation with lens testing before I'm completely comfortable with them, but I want to see more independent reviews.

Alex
01-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gerbilbox Quote
I disagree. I love and trust photozone.de for my lens reviews, and will continue to as long as Klaus keeps it up, but I want to have second opinions (and thirds, and fourths). I can't go by just one. Photozone.de seems pretty unmatched, and I would love to see other highly detailed reviews to see how different lens samples stack up. True, it'll probably take DPreview a while to build up a reputation with lens testing before I'm completely comfortable with them, but I want to see more independent reviews.

Alex
thats why i suggested a merger

give Klaus more testers or whatever, or integrate the systems. to create one big one.

the problem with judging lens quality is that its really vague to differentiate esp when you go to the very good lenses.

if Phil is going to develop his own system for testing lenses, how could you possibly compare it to Klaus?

I see nothing but a big mess in the future where people will side with one or the other, and endless debates will ensue. Because unlike our own little lens database here at pentaxforums, Phil and Klaus will try to support their findings with fancy little numbers and charts, confusing the hell out of everyone
01-29-2008, 02:01 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The more the merrier

The more lens test review sites, the better for the photography consumer. Can't get too much of a good thing. Kudos to DPR for finally reviewing lenses as well.
01-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote

Who is the American?
01-29-2008, 02:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tbear Quote
The more lens test review sites, the better for the photography consumer. Can't get too much of a good thing. Kudos to DPR for finally reviewing lenses as well.
Joe A tests his pentax lenses on a *isD, in a poorly constructed studio, and his outside shots are taken from Mt.Kilimanjaro

Joe B tests his pentax lenses on a K10D, using a low quality monitor, in a very well constructed studio and proper lighting, but hes at sea level for outside shots.

Joe C tests his pentax lenses on a K20D, using the best hardware you can buy, in a half decent studio, and lets say 500meters above sea level for outside shots

lets say Joe A gives the lens a 9/10, Joe B gives the lens a 10/10 and Joe C gives the lens a 6/10

what do you have?

you have nothing, you are sitting scartching your head, and you will still come back to this forum and ask for opinions from people that use that particular lens every single day.
01-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I APOLOGIZE

i made a small error, Dpreview is just as european as photozone.de

DPReview.com Limited
Patriot Court, 1-9 The Grove
Slough, Berkshire, SL1 1QP
United Kingdom

Phone: +44 20 77647930
webmaster [at] dpreview.com

as you were....