Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2012, 12:24 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Reg. lens IQ check when buying in used market???

Hello Together,

I want some suggestions. A bought a couple of lenses used over Amazon a year back which are over 300$.
Though they are not terribly bad performers, upon using similar first hand lenses of other Pentaxians it was clear that my used lenses are definitely inferior in image quality. This made me doubt that the used lenses may not be good performers and thats why they are sold off.

As many of you are frequently buying used lenses, did you ever come across such issue? How do you make sure that the used lens you are buying is a good copy instead?

Cheers
Guna

08-16-2012, 04:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I posted a caution about Amazon Warehouse and returned lenses. I returned a decentered lens, shipping box was truly mangled by UPS, and a "used" copy showed up as " like new" several days later. Sometimes things are returned for a good reason. I doubt that the returns department is equipped to test K-mount lenses, they probably just do a visual inspection.

Last edited by Docrwm; 08-16-2012 at 06:34 AM.
08-16-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I got a bad DA 15 from Amazon Warehouse. At least with Amazon, you have that great return policy. LOL! Anyway, it's certainly no harm to try them out since you can always send them back, but I'd agree there's a good chance there might be a problem with those used/returned items.

I am a bit cautious buying used lenses. I like to buy from someone I trust or at least some place that will allow me to try it and accept a return if there is a problem. Having said that, I've been very lucky so far with used lens purchases.
08-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is a link to an article on used lenses https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html that's geared more toward very used lenses though.

On used modern lenses, it is important to test thoroughly as soon as you get it. If off ebay you usually have a short window to return, Amazon and other marketplaces may be a little longer.

Set up a controlled environment test, tripod, known lighting and known target and take shots at various apertures. I also take a sequence on outdoor targets that I use all the time, fence post, flower bed, storage shed that show particular features that I can compare to the same shot with other lenses.

08-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys... so I am not alone on this front.

Cheers
Guna
08-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have only bought used lenses from reputable camera stores that test and offer warranties.

I dread buying anything used. I am just about confident enough to start buying from the PF marketplace... Almost.

I treat my stuff with tender love and care. Anytime I see a used lens, I think off all the lens and bodies I have seen drop, bumped into things, fingers on glass, etc.... Then I think of the peace of mind that comes with paying a few hundred dollars more for brand new