Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I wish someone made an 85mm that was a tidy f/4 to keep size down, but tradition says it's for portraits and must be f/2 or faster.
Voigtlaender 90/3.5?

08-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Anyone else have this problem?
No, I don't have this problem.

If you use them often enough, you will find the sweet and weak spots of each, then it is easier to make a choice in the future: sell/keep/replace.
08-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I wish someone made an 85mm that was a tidy f/4 to keep size down,
85/4 shot wide open at f4 might not be as good as 85/2.8 or 85/2 or 85/1.8 step down to f4.

but tradition says it's for portraits and must be f/2 or faster.
That might not be tradition but for other reasons: highlight bokeh wide or nearly wide open do have perfect or nearly circle shape,
also in tight space, larger aperture blurres more of background.

I tend to use the sweet spots of the 85mm lenses, which can be f4, f5.6, that for maximum sharpness, DOF can cover the whole subject.
Also I like the background with a little context. It is fun to play with wide open and large aperture for awhile, but real cases are rare when you need them.
08-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I love them all and can justify to myself keeping each one, even though there is overlap or competition in focal length in some cases
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see a whole lot of overlap in that lineup. I don't regard either the 15 or the 21 or the 28 and the 35 as constituting overlap. I have, on the wide to normal side of things, a 15, a 20, a 28 and a 35, and I don't find any of them redundant. Indeed, I've sometimes toyed around with adding a 24, just to fill things out. The only redundant lens is a lens you never use. If a lens doesn't get any use, that would be a good reason to send it packing.

08-17-2012, 08:21 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts on this! It has only fueled, or made me feel better about, my LBA.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dirtistasty2 Quote
i managed to justify it by giving the wife a K-r and saying half the lenses are for her.
I'll have to try that! So, give my K-X to my wife, buy a K-30 for me, and we have plenty of lenses to share!

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
First of all, do you NEED to sell? If not, you may just need to clasify your lens.
No, I don't, luckily. I might want to sell only to raise funds for other lenses, but otherwise, I don't have to sell anything to get money to pay for the electric bill. Thanks for the tip on classification of the lenses-- I'll have to try that!

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
How often do you pack the 50-200 instead of the 55-300?
Great questions that I need to ask myself. I agree that I usually don't take the 50-200 because I like the IQ of the 55-300 but I always think to myself that there may come a time that I will appreciate having a lighter, smaller telephoto zoom in my bag "just in case"

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
To the OP, have you named your lenses yet? Thats the terminal stage of LBA!
LOL. Will need to do that sometime. All my lenses are my "babies"!

QuoteOriginally posted by Davidw0815 Quote
One lens in your line-up I'd never sell is the F 28 mm
Yep, you're right about that. I was lucky to get it and often reach for it. It's a workhorse lens!

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I can find all kinds of reasons to keep lenses, even at focal lengths I don't really like.
Yep, that's what I thought was my "problem"-- finding excuses to keep lenses. But if I really don't use a particular lens, then I probably should get rid of it and find it a good home with someone who would put it to better use.

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
. I have WAY too many also, but I break them down into different uses, like fast, available light (usually) primes, a complete macro kit and a "scenic" kit.
That's what I have been doing and it's good to hear that others do it too, assuming they have the financial ability to acquire and maintain such a collection.

I have had to work very hard to keep from joining you in this!
Jim, you buy and sell all the time and I admire your willingness to do so. I can't quite bring myself to your level of "day-trading." I guess I am just too easy to please and/or can't let go of my possessions... hence the "hoarder" mentality! I have the same problem with electronics; I have some old stereos that I love but are big and bulky and should probably be replaced with the latest, smallest iPhone-connected speaker, etc.
08-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see a whole lot of overlap in that lineup.
Yeah, I think the only two most directly conflicting ones that I own are:

DA 21 f/3.2 and Sigma 24 f/2.8
DA 40 f/2.8 and FA 43 f/1.9

(never mind the full frame abilities of these lenses)

I should probably choose one from each of these two pairs.
08-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #22
Veteran Member

As long as you categorize your primes, you don't have redundancy. So keep the 40 because of the small size, the 43 for the pixie/dust build quality, and the 50 for speed. I think your other primes are all different enough that you don't need to justify them.

Where you probably should consider selling is with your zooms. You have a lot of redundancy there. As a huge da* fan, I would sell them all and get the 16-50 and the 60-250. Then you can keep feeding your LBA. But at the very least, choose your favorite zooms and sell the rest.
08-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
Where you probably should consider selling is with your zooms.
Hmm, I hadn't really thought about doing that before. I like having the DA 18-135 as an all-in-one travel-zoom and it's WR for my future WR body. I like the 18-50 f/2.8 constant zoom for a compact low-light short zoom. I like DA 55-300 for the telephoto reach and IQ. I should probably get rid of DA-L 50-200 and F 35-70 as I don't use those very often.

But I have been tempted by a DA* lens; just not sure I can justify the cost! Plus I'm a little nervous about SDM issues...

08-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #24

Photos: Albums
I think I have too many lenses (lucky me with my "problems" ) but I love them all and can justify to myself keeping each one, even though there is overlap or competition in focal length in some cases. Am I a lens hoarder?
I agree with others who say you don't really have much overlap here. About the worst is in the 35mm-43mm area, but even there, they have special qualities that make you choose one over the other on a given day.

Here's my hoarding "problem": too many overlapping lenses that would sell for too little to even be worth the time to unload them.

I have two 28mm f/2.8 manual focus lenses: a Sigma and a Vivitar. The Sigma has "A" contacts and seems better than the Vivitar, but selling the Vivitar would bring in so little cash there's no point to even go through the exercise of trying to unload it. Also, the Vivitar takes 49mm filters, is tiny, and its faults actually make for more interesting photos on B&W film, a look I haven't been able to reproduce otherwise. So, it stays.

Worse: I have four 50mm lenses: SMC-M 1.4; SMC-A 1.7, SMC-M 2, and Sears 1.7. The first two are workhorses and aren't going anywhere. The boring f/2 lens isn't worth selling; besides, it's the original kit lens that came with my K1000, so I'd hate to break up that pair. Even though I haven't shot with it in years, it stays. Finally, the Sears f/1.7 is an excellent performer, every bit as good as the Pentax SMC-A. Except it cost $5, so again, if that's all I could get for it, I'd rather keep it as another option. (Unlike the f/2, this one does get used.) And so, I have four 50mm lenses, sigh.

Then there's the SMC-M 135/3.5 that I used all the time before picking up a cheap 80-200 f/4 zoom. Yes, the 135mm performs better than the cheap zoom, though not by THAT much. Just don't find myself using it all that much anymore. Considering they sell for about $50 used, again, what's the point of parting with it?

Now that's some overlap, and a whole bunch of disincentive to part with any of them, despite how having "excess" gear is starting to bother me a bit. Surely the math would be a little different if any of my surplus lenses were actually worth anything.
08-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Yeah I feel the same problem!

My Sigma AF 28/1.8 II and DA 35/2.4 are pretty close, but there's actually a noticeable difference in FOV. The Sigma's not all that sharp at wide apertures but the bokeh's pretty good. The 35/2.4 gets used more because it has way better IQ. I would probably sell both if I got a 31 Limited.

I don't really feel like my FA 50/1.4 and Vivitar 55/2.8 macro overlap too much since they serve very different purposes even though they're so close together in FOV. The Vivitar is insanely sharp but fully manual so I mostly use it in situations where I need critical sharpness and no distortion. I use the FA mostly as a portrait lens.

Now I just need a Sigma 10-20, and maybe a 77 Limited, or Tamron 90 macro, and maybe replace my F 70-210 with a DA 55-300....

Dang LBA!

Last edited by msatlas; 08-17-2012 at 09:15 AM.
08-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Yeah, I think the only two most directly conflicting ones that I own are:

DA 21 f/3.2 and Sigma 24 f/2.8
DA 40 f/2.8 and FA 43 f/1.9

(never mind the full frame abilities of these lenses)

I should probably choose one from each of these two pairs.

Choose DA21 over Sigma 24, coz it's lighter and smaller, NOT much slower(1/3 ISO diff), able to crop to 24mm.
Choose FA43 over DA40 coz it's generally "better", faster, and take a step back for the 3mm diff.

For me, I "rationalize" my LBA between the "best" MF and AF, before "pleasure"..
(MF) i'm in love with the A series so i choose to "start" with the completion of the fastest aperture possible in the series.
(AF) THEN, i'll start with the "best" AF lens possible, for my fiancee: DA15, DA21, FA31, FA43, FA77.

(pleasure) ZK25, ZK28, ZK35, ZK50/2

Just stay focused! Haha! Try not to "settle for something else"... That would minimize your LBA problems!
08-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote

Choose DA21 over Sigma 24, coz it's lighter and smaller, NOT much slower(1/3 ISO diff), able to crop to 24mm.
Choose FA43 over DA40 coz it's generally "better", faster, and take a step back for the 3mm diff.

For me, I "rationalize" my LBA between the "best" MF and AF, before "pleasure"..
(MF) i'm in love with the A series so i choose to "start" with the completion of the fastest aperture possible in the series.
(AF) THEN, i'll start with the "best" AF lens possible, for my fiancee: DA15, DA21, FA31, FA43, FA77.

(pleasure) ZK25, ZK28, ZK35, ZK50/2

Just stay focused! Haha! Try not to "settle for something else"... That would minimize your LBA problems!
Huh? Is this early termination of "pleasure"? Are you forgetting ZK85/1.4 and ZK100/2?? The list goes on.... VL125, a few 180/2.8 lenses too. Yeah, you will need a great deal of green for that degree of pleasure. But oooohhhh, what a feeling...

Enough said...