Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Too many lenses but hard to part with them

I think I have too many lenses (lucky me with my "problems" ) but I love them all and can justify to myself keeping each one, even though there is overlap or competition in focal length in some cases. Am I a lens hoarder? I should probably consolidate some of these pairs into one lens but I know I'd have some seller's remorse. Anyone else have this problem? Or should I not get so attached to my lenses and go with the best lens lineup that makes the most sense, in terms of focal length spacing and aperture size? I do try to use these lenses but obviously I would be using fewer lenses more often if I reduced the size of my kit. [I don't care whether these lenses are APS-C only or FF-compatible, although that is important to some people-- I may never go FF in the future]

For example:

DA 15 and DA 21 (love the wide angle of DA 15, could crop DA 15 to get to DA 21, but DA21 is a more compact lens)

DA 21 and Sigma AF 24 f/2.8 Super-wide II (love small pancake size and limited build of 21, but Sigma 24 is a bit faster and sharper wide-open)

Sigma AF 24 f/2.8 and smc-F 28mm f/2.8 (both very sharp wide-open but 24mm offers wider FOV, while 28mm is a perfect "normal")

smc-F 28mm f/2.8 and FA 35 (both close to "normal" while FA 35 is faster but narrower FOV; build quality about the same)

FA 35 and DA 40 limited (love the "poor-man's FA31" but the DA40 is so tiny and metal build -- a touch long for indoor use and not as fast)

FA 35 and FA 43 (both outstanding in low light but FA 43 has the pixie dust and metal construction, whereas FA 35 is a bit wider normal)

DA 40 limited and FA 43 (extreme compact size of DA 40 versus the f/1.9 and pixie dust of FA 43)

FA 43 f/1.9 and FA 50 f/1.4 (FA50 is a bit long for indoors, but f/1.4 is nice in very low light conditions; FA 43 has the build quality and pixie dust)

DA-L 50-200 and DA 55-300 (compact and lightweight 50-200 versus longer telephoto, better image quality, and larger size/weight of 55-300)

08-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #2

I understand your dilemma. I have similar lenses like yours and quite a few more but so far could not bring myself to sell them I just acquired a K-01 and fall in love with manual lenses all over again, especially those one touch zoom (eg. Vivitar S1 70-210 version 2,3); focus peaking is awesome!
08-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes you're a hoarder! Unfortunately a common problem around here, haha. I've managed to dwindle my Pentax lenses (though it has been growing with a few manual ones lately). I've got only the 15mm, 43mm, and a slew of 50/55mm manual lenses (mostly, do also have the 50mm f1.7 F lens). I've had 40mm's, the 21mm, the 100mm WR macro, sigma 30mm f1.4 and a host of other manual lenses as well.

I'd say I'm being good about keeping the lens stable down, but the reality is I've just gone to micro 4/3 for more compact primes! Those entail the rokinon 7.5mm fisheye, panasonic 14mm and 20mm primes and I use the 43mm LTD with an adapter (as well as my 50mm macro). Along with those, the Oly 12-50mm (weather sealed) and panasonic 45-200mm zooms can all fit in a very small bag.
08-16-2012, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a lot of the same lenses and then some. i managed to justify it by giving the wife a K-r and saying half the lenses are for her.

08-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dirtistasty2 Quote
I have a lot of the same lenses and then some. i managed to justify it by giving the wife a K-r and saying half the lenses are for her.
I think this is hilarious, but I am confused..... Did it work?? How many nights in the dog house - or couch?
08-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by subidoc Quote
I think this is hilarious, but I am confused..... Did it work?? How many nights in the dog house - or couch?
Worse, if she takes the Limiteds, and leaves you with the plastic phantastic ones.
08-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

As you helped me before, so let me give it a try now. First of all, do you NEED to sell? If not, you may just need to clasify your lens. Either way, I see 3 main categories:

(1) Compactness: Size, weight and dimensions.
(2) Focal Length: Field of view
(3) Quality: Sharpness, speed

So now, try to prioritize one of the categories and select the lenses which fit this category. Then, filter this new group keeping the other 2 categories as good as possible.
Is this clear? (Something like: fix a variable, aproximate the others the best you can).

For the amount of lenses you have, you could make a list of your lenses in a spreadsheet and set up 3 columns with each category to put a mark to each lens (1 to 3 for example). Then, through a simple formula, you can select the best lens kit, weighting the categories. For example: Compatness > FL > Quality. Perhaps even specifying how many lens you want to carry.

Just thinking out loud¿?

P/D: See image attached for a comparison between FL and FOV in degrees

Last edited by carrrlangas; 06-14-2013 at 12:09 PM.
08-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
could crop DA 15 to get to DA 21
You could crop the 15 to get the angle of view of any of your other lenses. If you use them all, and don't need to sell, keep them all. If there are any you don't use, or use much, ask yourself why. E.g., as you point out, 28 is "true normal". So what? Do you like the angle of view?

Are there any lenses you don't have that you want? Would selling some of your current stock make you more likely to buy the missing lens(es)?

How often do you shoot the 24 wide open? What do you like about the 21 other than its size and build? Same question for the 40. How often do you pack the 50-200 instead of the 55-300?
08-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

To the OP, have you named your lenses yet? Thats the terminal stage of LBA!
08-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Well, if you don't have any pressure to sell, I would do it.
One lens in your line-up I'd never sell is the F 28 mm. First of all, it's a great little lens and offers a very useful FOV. But it's also a quite rare lens. So if you get rid of it and seller's remorse strikes you hard, it might be difficult to get another copy.
08-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might try to assemble a logical group out of your collection and just use those for a month or whatever. I might try 15/4, 24/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.4 because I like how those last three work for me, but whatever group makes sense to you. Take shots and see if you miss a lens a lot. Then rearrange.

It may not get you to the point of selling, though. I can find all kinds of reasons to keep lenses, even at focal lengths I don't really like.
08-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

15, 24, 35, 43, 55-300 would work.
Mind you, I'd probably hide the DA21 and tell my wife I had sold it
Then again, a fast fifty is always good to have as well, just in case the unicorn appears....
08-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by subidoc Quote
It worked! She loves the K-r and I get to "borrow" lenses from her when needed.

Oh, and she likes the plastic fantastic ones because they're light! hehehe
08-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Am I a lens hoarder?
Hi 76er,
No, you're not a hoarder, you're an astute collector and careful custodian of fine optical instruments. As such you command respect and admiration wherever you go. Perhaps even jealousy.
My recommendation is to enlarge your collection to the best of your financial abilities. For example, you seem woefully lacking in short to medium telephoto primes. A 70mm, 77mm and 85mm (or all three!) seem like a good starting point. When this is completed, 2 or 3 good macros, a 200mm f/2.8 and 300mm f/2.8 would be logical.
Oh, did I overlook the fast zooms? forgive me.
Just kidding!
Seriously, I'd keep' em all. I have WAY too many also, but I break them down into different uses, like fast, available light (usually) primes, a complete macro kit and a "scenic" kit. My classic car show-kit consists of the DA 16-45 f/4.0. a Sigma 24mm, DA 35 f/2.4, and an 85mm and 100mm. Separate bags for each use.
As long as you like the lenses and are using them regularly, there's no such thing as too many.
JMO,
Ron
08-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I have had to work very hard to keep from joining you in this! Thus far the sequence of 15fish-28-50-??-135-200 has worked out, and I am going to try the infamous 'plastic fantastic' Cosina 100/3.5 to plug that gap. My weight/bulk intolerance drove the Tamron 90 from my bag, and really at just over 400g it's not that bad.. but the 210g featherweight will be a fun change. I wish someone made an 85mm that was a tidy f/4 to keep size down, but tradition says it's for portraits and must be f/2 or faster.

There's no denying the allure of the 21 or 70/77 but really that will cut down on any one getting much use - especially once a Limited gets attached And even though I don't have any interest in a digital FF camera, all those primes in my bag will scratch that itch if it arises.

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 08-16-2012 at 06:01 PM.