Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #1

Quick Shift

Just started shooting with the DA 15mm Ltd. Amazing lens and my first with the Quick Shift function and first wide angle for APS-C (I've see that the angle of view of my FA-31 is not wide w/ APS-C). Is this feature really for fine tuning AF if it doesn't seem sharp enough...low light situation perhaps? Wondering how members use the Quick Shift feature......

08-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use it as a way of always having manual focus, and putting AF to the side for when you need it. Set the AF button to activate AF and the shutter button half press to do nothing, and you have full manual focus unless you press the AF button. It's very nice to shoot like that methinks.

That and the fact that you can pre-focus and then let the AF jump the final hurdle.
08-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
CMG

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
I use it as a way of always having manual focus, and putting AF to the side for when you need it. Set the AF button to activate AF and the shutter button half press to do nothing, and you have full manual focus unless you press the AF button. It's very nice to shoot like that methinks.

That and the fact that you can pre-focus and then let the AF jump the final hurdle.
Very good idea! Would be great if you could save particular camera settings for a particular lens so when the lens is attached the camera defaults to a saved setting. This is my only Quick Shift lens....not that it's much of a hassle to change settings....maybe my K-5 is spoiling me! )
08-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CMG Quote
Very good idea! Would be great if you could save particular camera settings for a particular lens so when the lens is attached the camera defaults to a saved setting. This is my only Quick Shift lens....not that it's much of a hassle to change settings....maybe my K-5 is spoiling me! )
Not so, I have my k-5 setup this way and so do many others. It takes a bit of practice to train yourself to use the AF button rather than the shutter release to focus but it is worth it. Quick shift or not I find this the best system. In many situations you only need to focus once and then take many shots. If you use the shutter button for focus the camera re-focuses on every shot which is not what I want.

Especially useful if you are shooting off a tripod, macro photography, product photography, or just focus and recompose. Try it and see if it works for you.

08-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
CMG

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not so, I have my k-5 setup this way and so do many others. It takes a bit of practice to train yourself to use the AF button rather than the shutter release to focus but it is worth it. Quick shift or not I find this the best system. In many situations you only need to focus once and then take many shots. If you use the shutter button for focus the camera re-focuses on every shot which is not what I want.

Especially useful if you are shooting off a tripod, macro photography, product photography, or just focus and recompose. Try it and see if it works for you.
I will try! I shoot in M most of the time so this would allow me greater manual control with all lenses.
08-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Also means that you can manually focus in movie mode without first switching to manual on the camera body. Nice because I always forget.