Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
F50/1.4 with filter threads removed?

Found this listing on eBay
Pentax SMC-F 50mm f/1.7 Lens (K1000, KR,K10,K20,K30, FA, Film or Digital DSLR) | eBay

The listing says "This lens is discount prices because someone has removed the filter ring, and therefor you cannot use filters or a front cap. THe optics are very clean and the lens has no scratches haze, or fungus. Comes with rear cap, but front optics will be protected for shipping. Great deal."

How does the filter thread portion of the lens get "removed"?

08-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #2

Hello Docrwm,

Ebayer probably talk about the filter lens that is usually on the top of the lens.
Also is not a 1.4 lens but a 1.7... i'm sure you can find a better one, because without the filter lens, it's can a annoying
08-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I have that lens and there is no 'filter lens' on it. The filter ring is plastic and from the pictures on ebay it looks as if it was broken off. I can see that happening if it took a hit while it had a metal hood on it. Anyway I do not think it will affect the use of the lens except that you cannot use filters.

However, that is much too pricy, I paid only a bit more for mine and it is in mint condition.

Pass on this, there are lots of F 50mm f/1.7s out there.
08-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Found this listing on eBay
Pentax SMC-F 50mm f/1.7 Lens (K1000, KR,K10,K20,K30, FA, Film or Digital DSLR) | eBay

The listing says "This lens is discount prices because someone has removed the filter ring, and therefor you cannot use filters or a front cap. THe optics are very clean and the lens has no scratches haze, or fungus. Comes with rear cap, but front optics will be protected for shipping. Great deal."

How does the filter thread portion of the lens get "removed"?
Looks like it was quite literally "chopped" off.
Good price if you don't mind not being able to use a filter, cap, or hood

08-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If it took damage to the filter ring you don't know if it was enough to put glass elements out of adjustment--or additional strain that may lead to other problems. Enough can go wrong without starting with a problem IMHO. Well used is often a sign a lens is good, but damaged ...
08-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. My interest was purely academic as I have an FA50/1.4 that sees too little use as it is. I was merely interested in how those threads were lost as the photos seem to show a clean area that looks finished almost and gives little hint of any actual damage.
08-16-2012, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
If I remember right, it is very common for those filter threads to crack, even from installing and removing a filter. It might not have taken a serious hit, a chunk could have broken off and they took the rest off so it didn't look as bad.
08-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
If I remember right, it is very common for those filter threads to crack, even from installing and removing a filter. It might not have taken a serious hit, a chunk could have broken off and they took the rest off so it didn't look as bad.
You're right. I have read that a quick fix is to remove glass from UV filter and glue the ring as a replacement thread.

08-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Did not know that, which is why I ask here when I encounter something like this. Thanks
08-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #10
Pentaxian

What would bother me about that lens is that you can't put a cap on it. That would be annoying. I wouldn't pay that price, but less than $80 and I might take a shot.