Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2008, 04:33 AM   #16
Inactive Account

No, I am referring to the lens I bought. I was lucky that I only needed to remove that outer ring. There was an inner ring that had to be secured because if that came off inside the camera. No telling what damage could ensue. Besides, the inner ring locked some other stuff inside that lens. Lucky for me, the two small screws that held the outer ring, also secured that inner ring. As for reflections, no, because the inner ring was black as well.

01-31-2008, 06:38 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After reading the discussion, and having converted a K mount to KA mount, I can offer a few hints to all those thinking about a lens modification.

1) with respect to screw drivers. There are no really good ones. I have looked at many, and find that the least expensive work the best. They have chrome handles, and black steel shafts. I have tried some more expensive ones, only to find they are plated brass, and fail on the first screw.

2) on taking out the screws, you may find some have been set in with a thread locking compound, and are VERY tight.

3) for location of mounting holes, locking holes etc,, the best approach is to purchase a junk aftermarket teleconverter, recover the mating plate for the lens, and use the hole for the pin as a drill guide for the change to the lens.

4) when drilling, use a drill press and very low speed, not a dremel. The high speed drill or grinding as shown in the photo's creates a TON of dust. Much better to use a low speed drill which creates long machinings that are easily recovered and are too big to get past what ever protection you place over the lens.
01-31-2008, 08:03 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
After reading the discussion, and having converted a K mount to KA mount, I can offer a few hints to all those thinking about a lens modification.

1) with respect to screw drivers. There are no really good ones. I have looked at many, and find that the least expensive work the best. They have chrome handles, and black steel shafts. I have tried some more expensive ones, only to find they are plated brass, and fail on the first screw.

2) on taking out the screws, you may find some have been set in with a thread locking compound, and are VERY tight.

3) for location of mounting holes, locking holes etc,, the best approach is to purchase a junk aftermarket teleconverter, recover the mating plate for the lens, and use the hole for the pin as a drill guide for the change to the lens.

4) when drilling, use a drill press and very low speed, not a dremel. The high speed drill or grinding as shown in the photo's creates a TON of dust. Much better to use a low speed drill which creates long machinings that are easily recovered and are too big to get past what ever protection you place over the lens.
I wish I see your comments sooner. Your hints are very welcome as I am really amateur into lens modification. Regarding slow speed grinding, what kind of drill press and drill would you recommend to take the place of Dremel. I did remove the base plate specific for working on the Vivitar large flange but I have not considered how to do the receiving hole in a safe way without fine dust from the speed drilling. Any specific tool that you recommend can serve the interested with more valuable information from someone with actual experience. Your tip on cheap tele-converter to have a mount plate is awesome to help locating the receiving hole. Regarding the tiny screws, I have several sets of cheap chrome small screw drivers and none seems to work satisfactory and I went to buy a better quality one in Fry's electronic store. Having the right tool definitely makes the job easier.

Again having more thoughts, I will caution on the use of drilling with few things that I will recommend to bring along:
  • Isolate a clean environment without children
  • Safety gargle and glass
  • Breathing mask
  • A moist towel as a base to receive tiny screws and dust from bouncing
  • Blower and other means of cleaning in-between and after operation.
02-28-2008, 06:45 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I have placed a blog post to summarize my first attempt on converting M42 lens to K mount

How to convert Pentax M42 to K mount lens - Hin's Tech Corner

Warmest,
Hin

02-28-2008, 07:45 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I wish I see your comments sooner. Your hints are very welcome as I am really amateur into lens modification. Regarding slow speed grinding, what kind of drill press and drill would you recommend to take the place of Dremel. I did remove the base plate specific for working on the Vivitar large flange but I have not considered how to do the receiving hole in a safe way without fine dust from the speed drilling. Any specific tool that you recommend can serve the interested with more valuable information from someone with actual experience. Your tip on cheap tele-converter to have a mount plate is awesome to help locating the receiving hole. Regarding the tiny screws, I have several sets of cheap chrome small screw drivers and none seems to work satisfactory and I went to buy a better quality one in Fry's electronic store. Having the right tool definitely makes the job easier.

Again having more thoughts, I will caution on the use of drilling with few things that I will recommend to bring along:
  • Isolate a clean environment without children
  • Safety gargle and glass
  • Breathing mask
  • A moist towel as a base to receive tiny screws and dust from bouncing
  • Blower and other means of cleaning in-between and after operation.
Hin

I use a vertical drill press with multiple speeds set by pullies. set to lowest speed.

I also have avoided, up to now drilling directly on a lens, I always disassemble to the minimum level necessary to get the parts off. This would include the mount on teh M42