Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not quick enough pulling the trigger (again)

With my morning coffee, I often cruise a couple sites to see what is for sale - never know when that rare lens or the deal of the century might present itself.

Well I happened this morning - on the KEH site showed an FA* 250-600 rated BGN for $2469. I am never an impulse buyer, but it really got my attention. Walked away from the computer and went downstairs to have breakfast with my wife. Told her about the lens and she told me that I better get it or I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight. I of course agreed, and after a quick breakfast (20 minutes) headed back upstairs to the computer to pull the trigger.

Gone........just that quick.

At least I don't have to figure out how I was going to pay for it now.........

08-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well you came a lot closer to scoring that prize than I did.
08-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

That's too bad you missed it. My question for you is where on KEH's site do you find things like this? Everytime I look all I see is the same old stuff that's been there forever.
08-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
That's too bad you missed it. My question for you is where on KEH's site do you find things like this? Everytime I look all I see is the same old stuff that's been there forever.
KEH the best stuff like this disappears very fast so unless you log in and catch it like Stormtech did you may never see it. Some of the other items that look like they have been there for ever may in fact be different but the same. many of the items are very common so always there

Too bad you missed it Stormtech, wonder why it was BGN (certainly wear and tear marks and probably no case, wonder if it had the handle and filters?)

08-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You should be happy your wife even told you to get it. If I told my husband I wanted to spend that much on a lens he would have a lot to say. That's why I never tell him aboult my purchases! You have approval, so now the next time you see it immediately add it to your cart!
08-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
You should be happy your wife even told you to get it. If I told my husband I wanted to spend that much on a lens he would have a lot to say. That's why I never tell him aboult my purchases! You have approval, so now the next time you see it immediately add it to your cart!
not many ever come up for $2500 average price on the forum is $7000
not many were even made and even less people are willing to let go it's a pretty amazing lens, nothing on the market really like it for the most part, the closest is the sigma 300-800 which is 8 grand and canikon only
08-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Too bad you missed it Stormtech, wonder why it was BGN (certainly wear and tear marks and probably no case, wonder if it had the handle and filters?)
The description did in fact show the case included. Before I clicked the mouse, I was going to call them to see about the condition - KEH is pretty good about the optics, but I was wondering if it would have the handle, tripod mount, etc before I spent that kind of money. Of course, their return policy is pretty good for 14 days for any reason, but paying shipping both ways would get kind of expensive.
08-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Told her about the lens and she told me that I better get it or I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight. I of course agreed, and after a quick breakfast (20 minutes) headed back upstairs to the computer to pull the trigger.
Thats an absolute bummer!! That would have been a great lens to have and at that price! I really hope someone here got it so its in the family at least!?!?!?!

08-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Like most pro camera dealers, common stuff goes for more than ebay and other non-retail avenues, but rare stuff is often very cheaply priced at KEH, probably because it is difficult to establish market value and they just go by their lists or whatever. And it often only lasts a half hour on the site -- I've gotten a few deals this way from them. You can actually tell what they are going to price something by looking up how much they will pay for it. If there is a rare item that sells for say $500 (when it appears on ebay), and they are willing to pay only $100 to buy it from you, it is a good bet that when they do acquire one it will be around $200 on their site. You've got to be ready to buy at a moment's notice though. Since they've got "in-transit" items listed, I'm sure people know that certain things they want are going to appear at some point, and so will be checking for them to go live. I've done that myself -- set up a monitor for certain sections of their site so I can see when something appears and at least find out the price they sell it for.
08-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Thats an absolute bummer!! That would have been a great lens to have and at that price! I really hope someone here got it so its in the family at least!?!?!?!
well certainly a serious Pentax user got it I would think (even if they aren't an active member)
But given the history of canon users butchering Pentax lenses for use on a canon it is a worry
08-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote

At least I don't have to figure out how I was going to pay for it now.........
It would've been a heck of a marketplace sale judging from your other lenses in that focal range, that's for sure! I'd love to say "maybe you'll get the next one" except...
08-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Think of it this way, Stan: if you'd got it, we'd have to hate you ;~)
08-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

It's disappearance likely had something to do with that 15% film equipment email they sent out this morning, too bad that would've been a deal! (I'd never hesitate to buy something from them in bargain condition).
08-18-2012, 05:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
But given the history of canon users butchering Pentax lenses for use on a canon it is a worry
Ja, one would think that Canon never made decent glass.

On the other hand, they usually butcher MF glass, if I'm not mistaken. So this one should be safe.
08-20-2012, 01:35 AM   #15
Pentaxian

That's good price. Still, I would need more than 20min to think about it, then 20 days to convince my other half.
Not many for sale.