Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #1

Neutral Filter

I want to buy a filter that will protect my lens. I'm a bit confused as to which to buy. Most threads seem to be a debate as to whether a filter is required or not, and to use a hood instead.

The reason I want a filter, is I plan to go photo some graffiti artists working in a tunnel and I'm afraid of getting paint dust on my lens which a hood won't prevent. So I'm thinking a filter is the required bit of kit for this situation.

I need it to fit a Pentax-M SMC 50mm f/1.7. Would a filter for this lens also fit my Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 Macro DG Lens or would I need a different size?

I'm on a budget, so hoping to spend less rather than more, but looking for a cut-off that won't effect my images to much of an extent. I'd rather pay more if this is the case!

Also, what hoods will fit on the Pentax-M, which size am I looking at and are there any other factors to consider?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

08-18-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The normal filter used for protective purposes is either a skylight filter or a UV filter. Either should serve you in this case.
For M50mm lens you will require a filter of 49mm size. The same applies with hood, 49mm screw on hood.
Check your Sigma lens it should show the size of filter required. You can match it with your M lens to see if it is the same size.
I am not familiar with the Sigma lens but I doubt it would be the same. Perhaps somebody who has this lens can let you know the correct size.

Last edited by Bramela; 08-18-2012 at 12:16 AM.
08-18-2012, 03:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Skylights tend to be cheapest... I use Hoya-UV's as well as having hoods attached... Buy a good quallity UV and you should not notice any image degredation...

Grafiti tunnel shots are good fun... Got flash triggers? If so some tape and black-cardboard to make quick snoots is useful in you kitbag...

I've not had the chance to work with any artist actually 'going at it' in a tunnel... Look forward to the shots!!
08-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Your Sigma takes a 58mm filter size. I have the same lens.

08-20-2012, 02:45 AM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for the replies! I'll make a couple of purchases over the next week or so and post my results.

I wasn't planning on using a flash inside the tunnel, was hoping that tripod and f1.7 might be good enough? still very amateur so it's another trial and error experiment for me! there is downlighting in the tunnel but the artists work in the day so I think that will be the tougher job to capture detail in the work and also getting the exposure right to shield from the tunnel entrances. I'll take 100+ shots and hope 1 comes out good
09-12-2012, 04:24 AM   #6

Original Poster
I'm gonna get these two filters :-

B + W Filter 49mm UV Filter With Multi Resistant: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

B + W Filter 58mm UV Filter With Multi Resistant: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Are these good choices, or should I make different purchases?

Thanks
09-12-2012, 05:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
B+W are excellent filters, but they are usually quite expensive. You could do well with a cheaper filter, like a Hoya "green" (the model, not the colour) or a Tiffen maybe.

Regarding light and exposure in the tunnel, I doubt you will have enought light to get sharp pics even at f1,7. The problem is not stabilizing your image, the tripod will indeed take care of that. the problem is that the artist will probably be completely blurred in your frame. You will have to use a speed faster than 1/100 s in all likehood, and that would give you underexposed images.

I concurr with the flash advice : if you don't own a powerful external flash flash, try to borrow one, and use it to light up the scene. Bounce it or diffuse it if you can't remove it from your camera. And forget the 70-300 : it's not fast enough for theis shooting situation.

Good luck!
09-12-2012, 05:36 AM   #8

Original Poster
i was thinking, even though 25 is not cheap I wouldn't lose any sleep over that amount of cash if I had to get a new one due to a scratch or whatever damage. I'll check out the Hoya or Tiffen maybe first and if I notice any degradation with my eye then upgrade.

Sounds like I will need a flash, my budget isn't massive - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-EF-610-ST-Electronic-Cameras/dp/B00472OBCK/ref...=IFT92OZC3K339
would this Sigma do me?

09-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Not entirely sure but perhaps you can just get the 58 and then get a step-up ring from 49?
09-13-2012, 04:50 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
Not entirely sure but perhaps you can just get the 58 and then get a step-up ring from 49?
That would work but you would need several step rings, that's a significant difference in diameter.

QuoteOriginally posted by stubar Quote
would this Sigma do me?
The Sigma flashes are excellent. I have the previous version of the flash you are looking for. It's very reliable in PTTL mode, has plenty of powerr and the head orients well. The only limitations it has over the Super version is that you don't have much control over manual exposure, and it will not do high speed sycn. I think for what you have in mind it would be great.
09-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can spend a little or spend a lot. Spending a lot doesn't guarantee you'll get a great filter, and spending a little doesn't guarantee you'll get a bad one. I've used many brands (Tiffen, camera brands, Hoya, B+W, Toshiba, and others) and honestly... The cheap Zeikos filters (with japanese glass) work as well as any of the spendier ones I've used. I've tested them for image degradation as methodically as I could with some sharp lenses, and there was none that I could spot. As a matter of fact, I've replaced some of my pricier filters that did cause image degradation with the $2 eBay Zeikos filters, which were noticeably much better.

So you can spend a lot, or try one of the Zeikos filters & see if it works for you.
09-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
Pentaxian

For this shoot, I would try to use the "painting with light" technique. The idea is to have the camera set up for a long exposure, and use a manually controlled flash to light up the subject. You could fire the flash several times to illuminate each graffiti artist at work, then more flashes to capture the graffiti. Wear black, move fast and stay out of the ambient light yourself, and you won't be in the photo.

I don't know how to figure out the details, like how long to open the shutter, flash power, etc. Is there any method besides trial and error? But I can see the result in my head.
09-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
That would work but you would need several step rings, that's a significant difference in diameter.
I've successfully used a single 49-67mm ring for a polarizing filter on my K5; no ill results that I can see anyway, and it's saved me a nice little chunk of change. UV fllters are cheaper though so it might be better just to go with two and save the hastle of the ring.
09-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
Site Supporter

If you plan to use a filter often, buy a good one. Otherwise I'd cheap out on this shoot.