Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Samyang 500mm f8 Lens for Samsung GX-20 GX20 GX-10 GX10

Hi All,
I am new here, i have a Samsung gx1l and i am thinking of buying one of these lenses for my wildlife pictures, Have you ever used one, are they ok.
here is the link on ebay , please dont get confused this is the long telephoto lens not the mirror lens,
Samyang 500mm f8 Lens for Samsung GX-20 GX20 GX-10 GX10 | eBay
look forward to your comments, Thanks , Trev.

08-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #2

These lenses are very simple and very durable. There is really no need to buy new. They come up used on ebay all the time for way less than 100 quid. You can buy it for any camera mount and just get the proper T mount adapter. Most of the time you can find one with a K mount adapter on it already.

Picture quality is OK but not great. You get what you pay for. Because of the small aperture they are dark and hard to focus. They are a totally manual lens. If you decide to buy I'd really recommend used. If you don't like it you're not out as much, if you do like it you got a deal.

I hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

PS: There's only really one or two manufacturers of these lenses. If you see another one from a different maker and it looks the same, chances are it is the same.

Last edited by post_eos; 08-18-2012 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Added PS
08-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by post_eos Quote
These lenses are very simple and very durable. There is really no need to buy new. They come up used on ebay all the time for way less than 100 quid. You can buy it for any camera mount and just get the proper T mount adapter. Most of the time you can find one with a K mount adapter on it already.

Picture quality is OK but not great. You get what you pay for. Because of the small aperture they are dark and hard to focus. They are a totally manual lens. If you decide to buy I'd really recommend used. If you don't like it you're not out as much, if you do like it you got a deal.

I hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

PS: There's only really one or two manufacturers of these lenses. If you see another one from a different maker and it looks the same, chances are it is the same.
Hi, Thanks for your reply, i think you sum it up well,quote, "you get what you pay for" i was quite worried with the aperture size making things dark, i am not worried about it being a totally manual lens, as i tend to shoot in the manual modes it would be ok, but for wildlife i really need something a bit more versatile, i may try a used one sometime just to satisfy my thoughts but not in the near future.
Thanks again,
Best Regards.
Trev.