Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #1

Classic Pentax Spotmatic SP

Hello,
I am new to the forum, and not a current Pentax User (my k1000 was my most prized possession in high school, though). A friend of mine has been gifted a Pentax outfit, and he is thinking of selling it because he is jonesing for a new lens for his current camera. It appears the gift giver, an uncle of his, bought the camera when he was stationed in Japan in 1970, and I'm thinking he decided that photography wasn't his thing, because most of this stuff appears unused (a bit grimy in spots, but unused). Here is what I see:

Pentax Spotmatic SP, great condition, S/N 2690317, with original strap (it has two leather film holders with screw-cap metal canisters)
Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 50/f1.4
Super Takumar 35/f 2.8 with hood
Super Takumar 105/f 2.8 with hood
Tele-Takumar 300/ f6.3 with hood and tripod ring
Asahi Pentax Slide Copier Bellows II
Asahi Pentax Super Lite Flash with two battery trays AC adapter, and hot shoe attachment
Dedicated camera (wraparound) case.
Filters: 49mm 02,R2,Y2, "CLOUDY", YG, UV, Skylight
Manuals for the bellows and the flash.

All of the lenses except for the 1.4 have original cases. Most of the items are house in a dedicated case with a red felt lining. I think it may have been made for this setup. This case is a real time machine! It's such a cool outfit that I would buy it myself, except that my wife would kill me.

My question: Is there good demand for something like this? I would hate to waste his (and my) time cleaning it up, taking pictures, and posting it on the Bay or wherever, only to get a $50 bid. My gut instinct is that given the condition and the obvious quality, it will do a little better than that. Thanks in advance for any help.
Mike

08-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a very good demand, particularly the lens and camera, being as new, but why would he want to sell such a great line up? I certainly wouldn't.
He can send it to me for full testing if he likes
08-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #3

Original Poster
He started shooting in the digital age, and would just rather have something he can use with his modern outfit. I really appreciate the quality of this mechanical beauty. It is hard to overstate the beauty of this hardware, and the solid mechanical thunk of the shutter. I need to stop handling this gear; I'm beginning to want it badly. I snapped a couple of shots, but they don't do it justice.

08-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Depending on what camera he has now, he might have just been given 4 great new lenses for it. No way I'd let any of those go.

He could sell everything and not be able to buy a modern lens as sharp as that 28mm, I've been searching for one of those.

Last edited by elliott; 08-18-2012 at 05:29 PM.
08-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
He has several hundred dollars worth of kit there, maybe more.
08-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Ummmm...Mike, that is a nice kit, but it is poor form to join a forum and make an immediate post as a "fishing" attempt to find buyers for gear. It is also against forum rules. For a small donation, you can post to the marketplace and price your items at the point that you seem is appropriate.

BTW...why is the Super-Tak 20/4.5 missing from your list? Did you post the wrong photo?

Steve
08-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ummmm...Mike, that is a nice kit, but it is poor form to join a forum and make an immediate post as a "fishing" attempt to find buyers for gear. It is also against forum rules. For a small donation, you can post to the marketplace and price your items at the point that you seem is appropriate.

BTW...why is the Super-Tak 20/4.5 missing from your list? Did you post the wrong photo?

Steve
Steve,
I assure you that selling the gear here was not my intention. I belong to a number of other forums, all of which confine sales activity to a specific area, and I always abide by those rules. As I said, my friend hasn't made the decision to sell yet.

The 28/2.8 is the widest lens in the kit.

Mike
08-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Not sure if your friend knows this, but I will mention it anyhow since you are new to the forum: These lenses will work on a modern digital Pentax body with an M42 adapter. So for the price of a lens for his other body, he could buy a new Pentax body and still use all these great lenses.

One downside is that when he is not shooting wide open with one of these lenses, he would need to press the stop-down metering button in order to meter properly, before firing the shutter. And of course he would need to manually focus. Manual focus is not as easy on a modern body compared to film body, for a few reasons which we can go into if needed.

08-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Not sure if your friend knows this, but I will mention it anyhow since you are new to the forum: These lenses will work on a modern digital Pentax body with an M42 adapter. So for the price of a lens for his other body, he could buy a new Pentax body and still use all these great lenses.

One downside is that when he is not shooting wide open with one of these lenses, he would need to press the stop-down metering button in order to meter properly, before firing the shutter. And of course he would need to manually focus. Manual focus is not as easy on a modern body compared to film body, for a few reasons which we can go into if needed.
That's great info. Thanks. I know what you are saying about focusing manually. I miss the microprism that was so ubiquitous in the good old days.
08-19-2012, 12:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The lack of microprism or split image focusing aids is one factor.

Also, you have the smaller viewfinder that results from the cropped APS-C sensor, which makes the actual viewfinder that much smaller (1.5 times smaller) compared to film.

Also, recent kit lenses tend to be slower than those from the film era. When using a variable aperture zoom with max aperture of f/3.5 to f/5.6, a traditional focusing screen would be objectionably dark to see through. So the focusing screens in newer cameras tend to be less selective with focus, in order to stay bright. Unfortunately, this means you can't easily see what is in focus and what is not, when you are using faster lenses. Your friend has an f/1.4 in the mix which would be hard to manually focus; the others might not be too much of a problem.

That said, the stock focusing screen can be replaced with an aftermarket/custom one, and/or he can add a viewfinder magnifier, etc.
08-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Letour Quote
I miss the microprism that was so ubiquitous in the good old days.
I don't. Focusing the 55/1.8 Tak on the Spotmatic SP was never easy,
not as positive as a rangefinder or a screen with a wedge.
08-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #12

Original Poster
My friend has decided not to sell the kit. He is beginning to see the value in it. If I ever decide to start shooting film again, at least I will know where it is to make an offer It would be a great kit to have.