Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2012, 02:12 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Stuck filter

I have a step up ring and a filter stuck together (unless vivitar made a skylight filter with a 49/52 step up).
All I have been able to remove so far is some skin from my finger tips. Those threads are sharp!!!

It came attached on a M28, so I haven't tightened it myself. Does anyone have a good tip how to disengage these two?

Seb

08-19-2012, 02:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Someone has had this problem before...

Stuck FIlter

Will look for suitable rubber bands.

Seb.
08-19-2012, 04:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, stuck filters are a common enough problem, so just look at the other threads, some have a bunch of techniques.
There are also special tools for easier unscrewing of filters. Or you can try using the temperature to your advantage.
08-19-2012, 05:13 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Albums
Try the rubber bands first.

Then with caution one could try to use a hair dryer; to a point. If the filter gets too hot to handle then that also would not be good for the filter.

Also strange as it sounds I've also seen it work and also not damage the filters. Soaing them in warm water (not above 110f) with a small amount of organic dish soap. I've also heard of it going one step further an using Fantastic; something that is widely used as a watch and jewelry cleaner.

If all of these idease don't quite work it would be interesting to see how they both hold up at a rifle range - even with an air pistol.

08-19-2012, 05:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Not necessarily a rubber band, but a balloon has worked pretty well for me so far.
08-19-2012, 05:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The rubber grip things that they sell to help open stuck jar lids is one and another is putting them in the freezer briefly. Good luck.
08-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

A set of these has been in my camera bag since the 80s. Essential equipment. Come in two size ranges. You can buy them at most camera stores. They work like a charm. The DIY solutions work but usually with a lot of grunting, groaning and cursing.

Sensei 48-58mm Filter Wrench (Set of 2) FW4858 B&H Photo Video
08-19-2012, 05:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Mouse pads (2). Place one on desk rubber side up, lay filters on it, place other mouse pad on top rubber side down. Apply gentle downward force while twisting and they should separate.

The issue with rubber bands & such is that sometimes you can distort the filter ring enough that it causse the filter to bind rather than release.

hth

08-19-2012, 06:23 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update:

Tried rubber bands, zip ties, rubber bands and zip ties. Did grunt, groan and curse sufficiently enough.
Still stuck. Will try freezer. And the mouse pads.

Also stuck is the filter on my new K35/3.5 BTW. I guess I will not put the whole lens in the freezer?

Seb.

EDIT: No luck with frozen filter and mouse pads. Will have to get wrenches.

Last edited by bassek; 08-19-2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: update
08-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian

lol did you contact the seller to make sure they didn't glue it on?
08-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #11

Hi

I have also had this happen a number of times over the years.

What I have found, it is important to put the force on the top edge (and/or bottom edge of the filter and/or adapter depending what it is stuck on).

Putting force on the outer edge only binds the filter, if not applied evenlyaround the circumference of the filter.

I have used rubber gloves with success but make sure you put the force onthe filter using the palm, not using the fingers on the outer edge.

I have used mouse pads also, again because the force is on the top edge ofthe filter, not the outer edge.

This is the same principal used to remove the lens retaining ring when taking a lens apart. I use a large o-ring or similar device and force down on a flat surface to make sure the force is applied evenly.
08-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
Update:

Tried rubber bands, zip ties, rubber bands and zip ties. Did grunt, groan and curse sufficiently enough.
Still stuck. Will try freezer. And the mouse pads.

Also stuck is the filter on my new K35/3.5 BTW. I guess I will not put the whole lens in the freezer?

Seb.

EDIT: No luck with frozen filter and mouse pads. Will have to get wrenches.
Freeze then heat the outer ring so that it expands faster than the inner ring. As a preventative I have been told that a bit of soap on the threads can prevent them sticking together in the future.