Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Getting lucky

So I'm going to pick up a Super Multi Coated Takumar 50mm f/1.4 M42 mount that I found on craigslist for $70. The guy says there's some yellowing, but it's in great shape otherwise. Called ahead to get precise directions, and it turns out he lives right behind a National Camera and Video Exchange. This is an 8 store chain, mostly based in MN, I believe, and they have used Pentax equipment. What's more, I've never been to this particular store - I've been to all the other ones in the area except for this one. How very convenient!

So I stop in the store before going right to the guy's place - "Inventory Clearance" going on, the big sign out front tells me. As I walk in, right by the door there's a table covered in lenses, separated by brand mount. Boatloads of Canon, Nikon, Minolta, some Olympus, and five or six Pentax lenses.

And right there, sort of sitting away from the others, as if it's a breed apart - a legendary Vivitar Series 1 70-210MM. Potentially legendary. Now, I know that all Vivitar Series 1's are not created equal - in fact, some of the later ones are "Series 1" in name only, and are actually poor quality...

This one was mostly metal, heavy, and almost mint - has to be one of the 'good ones', I thnk, although I'm not positive.... The tag said $199, marked down to $150 for the sale.

Bought it, went and picked up the SMC Tak 50 f1.4 from the very nice guy selling it (yellowing not too bad at all,) and went home to try the lens and try to determine its actual pedigree.

Turns out what I bought is the 3rd edition of the Series 1 70-210 - the best of the bunch, according to Vivitar 70-210 Series 1 Macro Zooms - Mark Roberts Photography

Someone, I forget who, once said something like "It's better to be lucky than good."

Last edited by jsherman999; 02-09-2008 at 12:50 PM.
01-29-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
Inactive Account

J,

Sounds like a lucky day like I had this past weekend. Congratulations on two great finds!

Don
01-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSgaijin Quote
J,

Sounds like a lucky day like I had this past weekend. Congratulations on two great finds!

Don

Yeah, congrats to you too. In fact, your post kinda inspired me to write mine!

I like reading about old lenses people find, and I especially like to be the finder.

Cheers & happy hunting.