Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #1

HOW TO STORE LENS PROPERLY? (prevent fungus, oily blades, etc.)

Hi,

So I just bought this lens off of eBay, it's not expensive especially for a lens (lenses are so goddamn expensive!!) but I'm very "cheap" and even if I had a penny, I would save it... (I come from an asian family.)
The last thing I want is fungus or oily aperture blades, I don't think the owner before me kept the lens and the camera body too well, but I definitely want to protect it.

I will not be using the lens for a very very very long time, maybe even a year! So it will be stored for a very very very long time and that's why I want to protect it so that when I use it, it's not in too bad of a condition.

Here's how I'm planning to protect it:
-Stored in a plastic container (the type for lunchboxes) with the cover on.
-Plastic container will be stored in a lowepro bag or closet or something...
-Probably a " Silica gel desiccant unit" from ebay OR rice inside the plastic container.... (is rice good enough, or should I still buy the silica gel thing from ebay?)
-Please on rear cap to prevent oily blades.
-ALL caps on, and I'm even going to buy a rear cap because the guy didn't include one.
AND BECAUSE THE LENS THAT I OWN IS RADIOACTIVE, I WILL BE COVERING THE INTERIOR OF THE LOWEPRO BAG WITH ALUMINUM FOIL..... (Don't judge haha... as you can see, I like to be "protective")

IMPORTANT QUESTIONS:
1. I heard that light could possibly "kill" or prevent fungus? Is that true? And should I place it in direct sun light? I also heard that placing it in direct sun light is bad....... Dunno what to do!!!

2. Do you have any tips to properly store lenses???

IMPORTANT FACTS:
1. I live in Québec, Canada (I don't believe it's that humid, but I live in front of a lake AND in front of an artificial lake!! It also gets very snowy in the winter, but very hot in the summer)
2. I will most likely be storing the lens for over a YEAR! That means I won't really be using it at all.....

3. I will store the lens separately from the original camera body (which I will probably sell...) and I'm planning on storing all my future lenses separately so that if one has fungus, the other ones won't be infected.

PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR TIPS! THANK YOU!

Last edited by iNicole; 08-19-2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Additional details
08-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In your camera bag should be enough, you should crank it monthly though imo.
08-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

use a dehumidifier or silica packs to get rid of humidity
08-19-2012, 10:15 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're way overthinking this. Just keep your lenses where you (as a human) are comfortable, rather than a warm humid basement or attic, and you will be fine. Unless you are really going to pack it with fresh desiccant you are probably doing more harm than good by packing it in airtight containers. I live in New Jersey which is definitely humid in the summer and have lenses sitting in my basement (which is relatively cool) in loose cardboard boxes for 30 years and not a bit of fungus growth. Lenses are designed to be operated by humans, in operating environments that we find comfortable. Just keep on shooting and have fun.

I've followed your posts including the question regarding "radioactive" lenses and you are overthinking that one too. Like everyone already said in that thread, you have nothing to worry about. Why ask if you don't plan to follow anyone's advice? Tout va bien.

08-20-2012, 01:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have some stuff to read here:
Storing lenses

Basic advice is: Use your lenses and keep them in human friendly environment.

Oily blades occur only in extreme condition like leave lenses in your car in summer time. Heat will separate the older grease to oil and other substances. Organic grease can break down and feed the fungus.
08-20-2012, 02:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

My storage technique is bag them in silica gel packs to help prevent moisture. Every month or so I take all of them out and inspect them visually for any dust inside and give it a whirl out in the sun. The only way to prevent fungus or oily blades in to not store them and to use them often. It's the best remedy.
08-20-2012, 04:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Use them regular... The lenses most 'at risk' are those that don't see the light of day...