Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2008, 09:50 PM   #16
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeH Quote
Why do you want a super-fast wide super-wide angle lens?
For ultra-wide coverage shots of the Milkyway.

It'll probably be a f/3.5 though. I can dream, can't I?

01-29-2008, 10:12 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I didn't express my interest in getting such super-fast lens. I just speculate the possible price of such prime. Showing the Nikon is just like a reference. For this range, 2.8 is plenty fast (like you said). However, if Pentax can produce at 2 or lower, it's really a breakthrough. The IQ shouldn't be that bad if they decide to release it. I guess that's enough for speculation.

As for the rest, the DA* 55 seems very promising. I hope it can outperform the Nokton.

Comparing it to the Nikon 14-24/2.8 is like apples and concrete. The 14-24 is a full-frame zoom. It covers the range that the DA14 already covers.

The one reason that I can see Pentax releasing a 15mm lens (on top of a 14/2.8) is the size of the 14/2.8. It's a largish lens, and fast for a wide angle. Adding an extra stop of speed isn't useful for most folks. A 14 or 15mm lens is a landscape style lens - not a sports/portrait speedy lens. 2.8 is plenty for a wide angle. I would trade my DA14 for a DA15 limited if it was smaller, with a smaller aperture.

Also, the DA Limiteds are all small, not fast. the DA70/2.4 is the fastest of the group. No indication that the 15mm would be superfast...

Mike
01-30-2008, 01:58 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I still think that the roadmap lacks a very short rectilinear wideangle. A 10, or even better an 8 mm fixed focal wideangle is needed to complement the 12-24/4. I see that many buy the Sigma 10-20, there is a big market for very short focal lenghts...
01-30-2008, 02:07 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
... The one reason that I can see Pentax releasing a 15mm lens (on top of a 14/2.8) is the size of the 14/2.8. It's a largish lens, and fast for a wide angle. Adding an extra stop of speed isn't useful for most folks. A 14 or 15mm lens is a landscape style lens - not a sports/portrait speedy lens. 2.8 is plenty for a wide angle. I would trade my DA14 for a DA15 limited if it was smaller, with a smaller aperture.
Also, the DA Limiteds are all small, not fast. the DA70/2.4 is the fastest of the group. No indication that the 15mm would be superfast...
Agree!
I think the DA15 will be f4 or so. The smaller, the better.

I have hoped the DA55 to be a Limited too, well ...
Let's hope they get the quality problems with the SDM lenses resolved!

Now the only thing missing is a tele Limited above 100 mm.
A small 125/3.5 would make sense.

01-30-2008, 02:15 AM   #20
Forum Member

The one reason that I can see Pentax releasing a 15mm lens (on top of a 14/2.8) is the size of the 14/2.8. It's a largish lens, and fast for a wide angle. Adding an extra stop of speed isn't useful for most folks. A 14 or 15mm lens is a landscape style lens - not a sports/portrait speedy lens. 2.8 is plenty for a wide angle. I would trade my DA14 for a DA15 limited if it was smaller, with a smaller aperture.

Mike
Agreed. Optically, I don't think that a 15mm/f2.0 (or faster) is even possible. If it is, the lens would be huge, likely sport an 82mm-or-larger front element, and resemble none of the other DA limiteds.

If you examine the lineup, the 70mm is a 2.4, the 40mm is a 2.8, and the 21mm is a 3.2. Smaller apertures as the focal length decreases. I'd imagine the lens would be larger than any of those (maybe not as large as the still-compact 35mm macro), maintain the 49mm front element shared by the four existing lenses, and have a smaller aperture. My gut feeling is a 4.0, but it'll be no faster than 3.5, and could just as likely as slow as 4.5 with a 49mm front.

As you say, the 14mm covers this focal length at a fast speed, but with a large housing. I think Pentax has realized that bodies with in-camera stabilization and a lineup of literally pocketable lenses are quite popular with street photographers, and a 15mm lens is perfect for that application. A full set of non-macro limiteds at 15mm, 21mm, 40mm, and 70mm comes awfully close to a standard "street" kit of a 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm, and a person could easily carry a camera and all four lenses with nothing more than a camera strap and the right vest. I've been on the verge of switching back over to Pentax and really only wondered if I'd truly be happy if my only actually wide lens was as big as the 14. The k20d announcement almost had me as it is, but if this 15mm is as small as I imagine, I think my Canon gear will be looking for a new home, and the 15, 21, 40, and 16-50 DA* will be joining a new k20d body, forming a kit I imagine I'll never really have to retire.

Exciting stealth announcement to be sure. I hope PMA reveals more about this lens.

Will
01-30-2008, 03:22 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Oh what a day!! Finally Pentax is promising me my 24mmish equivalent limited!!

The one thing I sorely missed when I went to APS-C DSLR from my 125film camera was the FOV of my 24mm lens. Hence the reason for my getting the DA16-45 over the kitlens, and more recently my upgrading to the DA*16-50/2.8. The Zenitar relieved some of the pain in the prime bag, but it was never the same.

So out will go the Zenitar, and I'll start preparing a nice place in my bag for the DA15/? limited.

I'm hoping it will be a f/4 lens, that way it will fit in with the other small primes nicely, and I can keep using my small Pentax Cross Over bag for short trips with my limiteds.

Please bring it on ASAP!!!

Oh, and the SDM rear converter is second on my list.

But budgetting things won't be easy... I'm even starting to consider not upgrading my FA*300/4.5 to the DA*300/4 or DA*60-250/4 just yet now... First the K20D and then hopefully the DA15/? limited? But I fear I'll have to be patient some time longer...

One thing strange though... I was kinda expecting the Tokina 11-16/2.8 to appear in a Pentax version... Perhaps later? Maybe I should temporarily go for the DA10-17 anyway...

Wim
01-30-2008, 03:24 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Did anybody notice that the 17-70 is now a constant f4.0? Sweet!
01-30-2008, 06:02 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
I think it's odd that they would release a DA* 30 instead of keep producing more FA 31. I guess that's the 31 in 2008 with digital enhancement.
And SDM and presumably weather-sealing. With all of the bodies weather-sealed now, they've got to start having a matching lens lineup or there's no point.

01-30-2008, 06:06 AM   #24
Not Registered

My bet is that the DA15 limited will share the design of the A15 f3.5 and will cost dollars big time.
01-30-2008, 06:39 AM   #25
Not Registered

Giving it a second thought. May the DA15 and the DA30 be based on the A15 3.5 and 31 limited so they can work also in a future FF camera?...Just to mess the things a little
01-30-2008, 06:45 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
My bet is that the DA15 limited will share the design of the A15 f3.5 and will cost dollars big time.
I doubt it. Since they're calling it a Limited, my guess is it will be designed in the same vein as the 21, 40, and 70: very small but slow, and not a fortune. I was going to pony up for the 14, but...

As for the 30, that seems clear enough to be the replacement for the FA31. Seems an insane move to discontinue a widely acclaimed (nay, worshipped) lens, but this is Pentax, after all:

"I know! Let's discontinue most of the lenses we make, and not produce any replacements! And lets make the lenses we do produce totally incompatible with 40 years of camera bodies! Oh, and after that we can demonstrate our astounding incompetence at marketing! Sweet!"
01-30-2008, 07:13 AM   #27

Original Poster
Fantasy to Reality

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
I doubt it. Since they're calling it a Limited, my guess is it will be designed in the same vein as the 21, 40, and 70: very small but slow, and not a fortune. I was going to pony up for the 14, but...

As for the 30, that seems clear enough to be the replacement for the FA31. Seems an insane move to discontinue a widely acclaimed (nay, worshipped) lens, but this is Pentax, after all:

"I know! Let's discontinue most of the lenses we make, and not produce any replacements! And lets make the lenses we do produce totally incompatible with 40 years of camera bodies! Oh, and after that we can demonstrate our astounding incompetence at marketing! Sweet!"
I hope Pentax is not that stupid to discontinue one of the greatest lenses in history: the FA 31mm. With Sony entering the FF market with their newly announced 24.8MP CMOS sensor, it makes more sense than ever for Pentax to produce their own FF sensor (with the help of Samsung's vast resources, of course). Imagine having the best of BOTH worlds: A DA* 30/f1.8(?) for your K20D's APS-C sensor or the FA 31mm/1.8 limited for your K1D's FF sensor!
I think this would be so incredible if it came to pass! It is Pentax's brilliant collaboration with Samsung that can make this fantasy a reality.

Ted
01-30-2008, 07:20 AM   #28
Not Registered

Maybe you are right. Since they didnt specify a release date (so they might well release them in 2010), I was just dreaming on a reintroduction of all those classic lenses put together under a DA limited name for a future FF body... the A15 f3.5...the FA*200 f4 macro...the A*85 f1.4.... the FA limiteds...

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote

01-30-2008, 07:29 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
I still think that the roadmap lacks a very short rectilinear wideangle. A 10, or even better an 8 mm fixed focal wideangle is needed to complement the 12-24/4. I see that many buy the Sigma 10-20, there is a big market for very short focal lenghts...
I quite agree, 12% of all my photos in 2007 were at 10mm on the sigma.
01-30-2008, 08:38 AM   #30
Veteran Member

oh yea, lenses look great! Hmm seems like the the DA17-70 was more Pentax that I thought. Either that or somehow they managed to cram the Sigma 17-70 into a DA16-45 shell haha.

I hope the 55-300 is gonna be worth the $400. Sounds like an awful lot compared to the FAJ 75-300.