Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
Forum Member
SMcGuire45's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nevada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 59
Filters, Filters and more Filters

So I finally have my K-5 and a couple of lenses. I'm quickly finding that I have the 15mm Limited on the body just about all the time. Obviously, with the built in hood filters become a problem. I've read just every thread concerning this issue. The issue I need help with is which filters or filter system to buy.

Do I buy 77mm filters and use step up rings (49mm, 52mm and 58mm) and be able to use the 77mm's for each lens? Worried about vignetting and filters are the larger 77's are more expensive. Also I would need to buy a couple 77mm lens caps.

Or, do I buy 49mm filters and just don't worry about using a CPL or 3.0 ND filter on my other lenses? This option is cheaper, but limiting to only 49mm threads. (Would fit my 15mm Limited and FA 50mm Macro if for some reason I used a CPL or ND on it). They would not fit my 18-55mm WR or DA 55-300mm.

Or lastly, do I buy a Lee Filter system or Cokin Z-Pro system and buy 4x4 filters and 49mm, 52mm, and 58mm adopter rings? Hoping that the 49mm fits on the 15mm Limited ok. From reading it sounds like I'll need a 49mm Cokin extension ring.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since dealing with filters and all the different types and setups is confusing.

Thanks!

08-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 359
Most of mine are 49 and 52mm to fit my Pentax lenses. I bought really cheap ebay ones to start with, and worked around their shortcomings to see if they were things I'd actually use, and replaced them with better ones later if I liked their effects. UV, definitely not, not even for protecting the front element, skylight can be useful sometimes, and I do like my CPLs. I've not tried any NDs yet.

I do like your idea of buying a larger size and using step-rings; I think you'd actually avoid vignetting doing that as you're moving the thickness of the filter-ring outside the FOV of the lens.
08-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member
stanic's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 380
the DA 15/4 works well with my Marumi 49 mm CPL, and this thread size works with my other primes too - the DA 35/2,8, A50/1,7 and DFA 100/2,8 WR - this is one more reason why I love Pentax
there is no vignetting with this non-slim filter
to be honest, I don`t use polarizer with the DA 15/4 very often though
but I am very much into Cokin P system, which will be great with the medium format Pentacon Six Tl camera, and would like to use some ND filters with the K5 too
the filter holder would be fitted on the DA 15/4 through one extra filter ring without filter glass (accidents happen )
08-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
Forum Member
SMcGuire45's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nevada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 59
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply...

I've read great things about the Marumi Super CPL, but I can't seem to find any none slim filters. I too like how the primes use 49mm filters as I plan on eventually getting some more primes.

I agree about not really needing a CPL on the 15mm as it does an amazing job by itslef. The only time I would use one is when I shoot water and want to get rid of glare and reflections (i.e. Lake Tahoe) or when I shoot fall colors and want the foliage shine reduced.

I read on a couple other threads about knocking the glass out of a cheap 49mm UV filter and using that to be able to use a Cokin P system. Wouldn't a 49mm extension ring accomplish the same thing?

08-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Senior Member
simbon4o's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 258
There are great reviews with samples on lenstip.com for UV and CPL filters!
08-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member
stanic's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 380
QuoteOriginally posted by SMcGuire45 Quote
Thanks for the reply...

I've read great things about the Marumi Super CPL, but I can't seem to find any none slim filters. I too like how the primes use 49mm filters as I plan on eventually getting some more primes.

I agree about not really needing a CPL on the 15mm as it does an amazing job by itslef. The only time I would use one is when I shoot water and want to get rid of glare and reflections (i.e. Lake Tahoe) or when I shoot fall colors and want the foliage shine reduced.

I read on a couple other threads about knocking the glass out of a cheap 49mm UV filter and using that to be able to use a Cokin P system. Wouldn't a 49mm extension ring accomplish the same thing?
my filter is branded simply Marumi 49 mm C-PL Made in Japan, and like You said, I also use it to remove reflections and sometimes when shooting moving water
for the autumn foliage shooting, good polarizer is really worthy (when the angles of polarisation work for the photog)

yeah, the 49 mm filter size for many primes is a real system approach and sometimes it is hard to explains such things to canikon users :P
a 49 mm extension ring would surely do, I just had a broken UV filter
there could be some vignetting when mounting the 49 mm Marumi system adapter ring+the 49 mm extension ring on the DA 15/4...but probably not much..maybe someone using this setup could share their experience

by the way, stunning images in Your galleries love the outdoors

Last edited by stanic; 08-20-2012 at 12:56 PM.
08-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Another vote for the Marumi CPL filters. The Lenstip.com reviews are a big reason I purchased them to start and use has reinforced their quality in the field for me. Of course there are the three usual suspects for buying filters - Adorama, B&H, and Amazon but if none of them have the Marumi filter you want you might try http://www.2filter.com/marumi/marumidigitalHG.html
08-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
baro-nite's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,298
I have two sizes of CPL: 77mm (my largest current lens) and 52mm (originally bought for my DA zoom kit, but also matches most K-series lenses). That covers my kit well enough; I can step up any 49mm-thread lenses to 52mm, and other sizes (58mm, 62mm, 67mm) to 77mm when needed. Stepping up from 49mm to 77mm would be rather cumbersome. Main drawback of this approach is the need for screw-in lens hoods when stepping up. When I bought ND filters I went with 67mm, not expecting to need them on either of my big lenses.

08-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian
traderdrew's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 570
I would recommend the Cokin Z 4x6 or 4x5 filters because this gives you vertical room to move your filter and position it in the frame. I use the 4x6 with a Lee foundation holder. Beware of using variable ND filters with wide angle lenses because I don't think they are compatible with each other.
08-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
Forum Member
SMcGuire45's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nevada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 59
Original Poster
I know Murami has a normal and Super CPL. I found great deals on the Super CPL, but they are definitely all the "slim" models" which I read will cause problems on the 15mm. I guess they don't make the non slim anymore??

Curious if anybody has seen this on Amazon?

Amazon.com: Complete Square Filter Kit Compatible with Cokin P Series - Includes: Graduated Green, Yellow, Purple, Orange, Pink, Brown, Blue and Red Filters + Graduated ND2, ND4, ND8 and Full ND2, ND4, ND8 Filters + 52, 55, 58, 62, 67, 72, 77MM Adapt

I sent them an email and they make a 49mm adapter ring into the 52mm. Lots of great reviews, but I'm always skeptical of things like this.

I think I'm leaning towards just buying the B+W Nuetral Density (10 stop) and the B+W CPL, both in 49mm and just stop sweating the filter dilemma.
08-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #11
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 347
I use the marumi dhg super on my da15. It's slim but works great.
08-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member
stanic's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 380
QuoteOriginally posted by SMcGuire45 Quote
I know Murami has a normal and Super CPL. I found great deals on the Super CPL, but they are definitely all the "slim" models" which I read will cause problems on the 15mm. I guess they don't make the non slim anymore??

Curious if anybody has seen this on Amazon?

Amazon.com: Complete Square Filter Kit Compatible with Cokin P Series - Includes: Graduated Green, Yellow, Purple, Orange, Pink, Brown, Blue and Red Filters + Graduated ND2, ND4, ND8 and Full ND2, ND4, ND8 Filters + 52, 55, 58, 62, 67, 72, 77MM Adapt

I sent them an email and they make a 49mm adapter ring into the 52mm. Lots of great reviews, but I'm always skeptical of things like this.

I think I'm leaning towards just buying the B+W Nuetral Density (10 stop) and the B+W CPL, both in 49mm and just stop sweating the filter dilemma.
that is a large set of filters...good for B+W film shooters
what I think I need are just three filters now - one ND4 soft graduated, ND8 and ND1000 filters, maybe later I will get a reverse graduated filter..they don`t come cheap
08-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #13
Forum Member
SMcGuire45's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nevada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 59
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by L33tGreg Quote
I use the marumi dhg super on my da15. It's slim but works great.
Thanks for the reply...

Just to clarify you are in fact using the "slim" version on your DA 15?

Amazon.com: Marumi 49mm 49 Super DHG MC CPL PL.D Slim Thin Filter Japan: Electronics
08-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #14
Forum Member
SMcGuire45's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nevada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 59
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stanic Quote
that is a large set of filters...good for B+W film shooters
what I think I need are just three filters now - one ND4 soft graduated, ND8 and ND1000 filters, maybe later I will get a reverse graduated filter..they don`t come cheap
I agree it is a lot of filters! I really only "need" a neutral density and cpl and perhaps a graduated neutral density down the road.
08-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #15
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 347
QuoteOriginally posted by SMcGuire45 Quote
Thanks for the reply...

Just to clarify you are in fact using the "slim" version on your DA 15?

Amazon.com: Marumi 49mm 49 Super DHG MC CPL PL.D Slim Thin Filter Japan: Electronics
Yes. I don't think you can rotate the cpl without pulling back the hood though.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
49mm, 52mm, 58mm, cokin, cpl, filter, filters, k-mount, lens, pentax lens, slr lens, system
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Hoya ND filters and Cir-polarizng filters and more... TOUGEFC Sold Items 3 08-09-2012 04:10 AM
Square filters for Sigma 8-16mm : Dimensions of Lee, Hitech, Tiffen filters? beholder3 Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 3 05-20-2012 05:37 PM
To use UV filters or Not to use UV filters?HELP NEEDED Softsoap Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 02-20-2010 04:50 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:19 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top