Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How to use FA lens with Vivitar 2x?

(If you know of a previous thread please point me to it).

When buying the Vivitar 2x teleconverter I was told I could use it with my K100D in Av mode, set aperture on the FA's aperture ring (instead of in the top LCD), manual focus then shoot with camera to work out by itself the required exposure.

However it doesn't seem to be doing that. Testng with an FA50/1.4, regardless of what number I set on aperture ring it only shoots at f1.4 ; I have increased all the way to f22 it still shoots at the same shutter speed without underexposing, confirming it hasn't changed to f22.

So ... what am I doing wrong, how should I use this Vivitar 2x?
Thanks for your guidance.

01-29-2008, 09:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

for my own education, does the vivitar 2x converter have ANY contacts on it?
01-29-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
for my own education, does the vivitar 2x converter have ANY contacts on it?
Yes I can see perhaps 6-7 contacts, but not for the focus drive.
01-29-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
(If you know of a previous thread please point me to it).

When buying the Vivitar 2x teleconverter I was told I could use it with my K100D in Av mode, set aperture on the FA's aperture ring (instead of in the top LCD), manual focus then shoot with camera to work out by itself the required exposure.

However it doesn't seem to be doing that. Testng with an FA50/1.4, regardless of what number I set on aperture ring it only shoots at f1.4 ; I have increased all the way to f22 it still shoots at the same shutter speed without underexposing, confirming it hasn't changed to f22.

So ... what am I doing wrong, how should I use this Vivitar 2x?
Thanks for your guidance.
Hi Kguru,

I learned this sometimes ago when I started using Vivitar 2x Macro TC.
First, like Gooshin said, you need to check whether the TC has contacts or not.
Second, the AV position only works with lens that has A on aperture ring or the newer one. When I used my M50mm/2 with the V2xMTC on AV setting, the camera will open the aperture as wide as possible. In this case is f/2. So in order to handle M lens, I use it in Manual setting only.
But if your lens has A on the ring or maybe not for FA/DA lens then you can set it in AV mode. Again, you need to make sure that the TC has contacts to convey the lens data to camera body. Otherwise, you'll have to be in M mode only.

The pin contacts that I'm talking about is the series of balls around the back side of the lens that is attached to your camera. If you don't see that gear balls on your TC then most likely you won't be able to use it in AV mode.

Hope this helps.

01-29-2008, 09:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
Yes I can see perhaps 6-7 contacts, but not for the focus drive.
Oops, sorry, I guess you type earlier before I post my reply.

If that's the case, maybe you want to check whether you have set your camera to allow the use of aperture ring or not.
My camera is K100D and to do this:
1. Go to Menu
2. Go to Custom Setting
3. Scroll down until you see "Using aperture ring"
4. Make sure you select "Permitted"

Hope this time I made it in time
01-29-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Herman.
I will check the camera's settings for use of Aperture ring.
01-29-2008, 09:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

if all else fails just use the EL button...

flip the camera into M mode, grind the aperture ring to whatever F value you want, hit the EL button, the camera will meter, shoot!

i got so used to doing that with my M lenses that i even repeat the procedure using FA lenses.... hahaha

01-30-2008, 06:12 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Sounds like the teleconverter is acting like an "M" lens. If you shoot in Av mode, the shot will always be metered for wide open (and taken wide open). Listen to Gooshin when he says "flip the camera into M mode, grind the aperture ring to whatever F value you want, hit the EL button, the camera will meter, shoot!"
01-30-2008, 06:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the TC is not autofocus, it will have 6 contacts, the 7th is for autofocus information from the lens, and lens focal length etc. When attached you should see a valid apature on the display not F--

In this case, you set the lens to A and use any mode on the camera you want, but note you need to manually focus the lens.

If there are NO contacts on the TC you will see F-- on the fisplay, and you can shoot, as others have stated in Av mode but only wide open, or in manual (M) mode by setting exposure either with the green button (K10D and *istD) or by metering using the DOF preview, which also activates the meetering (past on on the on off switch)
01-30-2008, 07:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Sounds like the teleconverter is acting like an "M" lens. If you shoot in Av mode, the shot will always be metered for wide open (and taken wide open). Listen to Gooshin when he says "flip the camera into M mode, grind the aperture ring to whatever F value you want, hit the EL button, the camera will meter, shoot!"
i felt poetic