Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hmm, I just mostly cured my LBA.

Maybe the logic approach will help someone cure theirs too.

Its really just because I am so anal about what lenses I want.

1. Has to work on every camera I own (see signature line) which eliminated anything pre A series (way too much fiddling around to meter an M on digital) and the FA for their worthless crap manual focus rings (the one FA type I have I got dirt cheap from a friend for its 300mm length). All the DA's are out because they are DA's not FA's (I know some are actually FF) and everything without an aperture ring is out (too bad, I wanted a WR lens)

2. Has to be the fastest of its type within reason and a fixed aperture if a zoom (my A50 1.4 is fast enough as the 1.2 is near impossible to find, and the Tamron variable aperture as I said was a special case).

So that pretty much limits me to the Pentax A series lenses and I own every zoom worth buying already. I plan to buy the Pentax FF when it comes out to shift all my lenses back into the useful ranges they were designed for and to put my fast 50 back into play (its near useless with a crop sensor for me but wonderful on the film cameras). The speed and IQ of my A35-105 F3.5 makes anything prime in that range not worth buying since the improvements on both are negligible compared to it. Some of the faster A* lenses in the telephoto (300+ mm) range are drool worthy but they have scary prices so I don't have an overwhelming urge to get them (A* 300 F4 and 400 F5.6 are possible though) especially since I find even my 70-210 too narrow a FOV for most things APSC. I might want one fast wide prime (something F2 or F2.8 where 2 isn't available) but there again the urge isn't overwhelming because 24mm on a FF is about as wide as you normally need to go if you want to actually see anything in the picture without printing it poster size, and with the new FF it'll have K5 or better high ISO so I won't need faster than a fixed F4 anymore.

Now all I need is the FF Pentax to sort the lineup out and I'll have my CBA cured too since its hard to improve on a FF K5+ when you don't use any more than a K1000 worth of features anyways.

Good luck finding your own cures.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 08-21-2012 at 10:56 PM.
08-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't think anyone has ever been cured of LBA.
08-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I made sure to include mostly as a disclaimer as my budget will never allow the fast super rare and super expensive primes I want.

I'm not sure if its the cost of the new stuff that has driven the A series stuff so high but the prices are WAY up from even a few years ago and almost all the primes and many of the zooms are uncommon at the very least if not outright impossible to find, (except the F'ing A50 F2 which clogs the ebay searches all to hell).

I must admit the like new A400 F5.6 trio (all by same seller in Hong Kong) going for $759 each almost seems doable when compared to new stuff, but id never pay over $500 for something I'd use so little and I need the new FF body more.
08-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you need the A* 85.

08-22-2012, 01:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
you need the A* 85.
and the A*135/1.8
oh, and the A*300/4, perhaps A300/2.8 too
08-22-2012, 01:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Let's not forget A*200/2.8
08-22-2012, 02:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Sounds like a plan. You'll always be missing out on how beautiful some of the M primes are though, the 135mm/3.5 is so small and wonderful... And it's cheap and plentiful too... I can't use an A series aperture ring after using the M series. The A series clearly wasn't designed to have the aperture ring actually used.

And I hear a lot of the Takumars are beautiful too, well built little gems... For good reasonable prices, again in abundance...

And then there're the Limiteds... You know how great it'd be to have one of those...

And the WR DA* lenses are fantastic.

But hey, if you don't ever want to shoot with any of these fantastic little gems then good for you. There are more important things so spend money on right?

08-22-2012, 02:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You're a bit underrepresented in the 560mm range
08-22-2012, 02:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

LoL...

My plans exactly if you take a look at my kit..
But i do figure out i need one zoom and, AF at that, for general event shoot. The tammy 17-50...
08-22-2012, 03:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
for a while i thought i was cured of LBA. then i got bored
08-22-2012, 03:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
for a while i thought i was cured of LBA. then i got bored
good point!

and I also stop to update my signature.
08-22-2012, 03:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
afterwards, i ran out of money and was cured again for a short while
08-22-2012, 04:05 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I started out with a similar set of rules, when I had about 15 lenses.

My AF zoom kit was a sigma 10-20/4-5.6, an FA-J 18-35/4-5.6, a Tamron 28-75/2.8, and a sigma 70-200/2.8 plus sigma 1.4x and 2x TCs

I had an assortment of K mount primes all MF as well. My approach was faster, wider, longer than anything else I owned, as I built up my MF primes. It worked very well indeed, even after I ventured into M42 land for an SMC Tak35/2 (because I did not have any 35mm lens). But where it failed is when I got a samyang (Vivitar) 85/1.4. Not because I bought that lens, but because I bought it after giving up on any Pentax 85 for a reasonable price. Within months of getting that lens(and it is a fine lens ) I happened upon a supertak 85/1.9 that the store owner had set aside for me(I had bought several other lenses from him over the past 20+years and he knew I wanted an 85) it was at a price about 30% below market price and I simply couldn't walk away from it. Shortly after, I picked up a Vivitar 28/2.5 in M 42 for $9 and a helios58/2 for $10. Now with 4 M42 mount lenses, I started thinking M42 kit and K mount kit. That was 5 years ago. I am now plateaued at about 50 lenses, with a k mount (K and KA actually) from 8mm to 400mm, and an M42 kit from 16mm to 200 mm. It is all faster than my zooms.

My biggest fear is that I decide to build separate K and KA mount kits
08-22-2012, 05:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
My biggest fear is that I decide to build separate K and KA mount kits
It will be a very natural transition.

That was I biggest fear in the past, as I tried to limit to K mount, not even m42.
Then m42 came, more like your case, started with the Yashinon Tomioka 55/1.2, then takumars keep rolling in.
My KA mount is very limited, but other mounts like zuiko, nikkor, hexanon, rokkor, fd/fl, they also want to join the party.
08-22-2012, 06:01 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Maybe the logic approach will help someone cure theirs too.

Its really just because I am so anal about what lenses I want.

1. Has to work on every camera I own (see signature line) which eliminated anything pre A series (way too much fiddling around to meter an M on digital) and the FA for their worthless crap manual focus rings (the one FA type I have I got dirt cheap from a friend for its 300mm length). All the DA's are out because they are DA's not FA's (I know some are actually FF) and everything without an aperture ring is out (too bad, I wanted a WR lens)

2. Has to be the fastest of its type within reason and a fixed aperture if a zoom (my A50 1.4 is fast enough as the 1.2 is near impossible to find, and the Tamron variable aperture as I said was a special case).

So that pretty much limits me to the Pentax A series lenses and I own every zoom worth buying already.
Now all I need is the FF Pentax to sort the lineup out and I'll have my CBA cured too since its hard to improve on a FF K5+ when you don't use any more than a K1000 worth of features anyways.

Good luck finding your own cures.
Your strategy sounds great, but I too worry about your conclusion. I said a very similar thing on April 30th.. and now own the 18-135. And an off-brand 100mm macro. Oops almost forgot the SMC-M 200mm f/4! And I believed I had crafted my ideal kit less than four months ago?!?

I hope your resolve is stronger, but at the same time you don't pass up a great deal (aren't they all?) when one pops up.

*edit* - reading my old post, it appears I didn't have the Sigma 15 fisheye then either..

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 08-22-2012 at 06:07 AM.