Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pntxjack Quote
Stan--How do you like your 60-250 lens?
Jack
I just love it! I really can't believe the IQ I get from it considering it is a zoom. For comparison sake in general, I really can't tell the difference in IQ compared to my FA*300. While the FA* does have a slight edge in absolute sharpness, the 60-250 never leaves me wanting. The SDM focusing is not quite as fast as the FA* screw drive, but it is quick enough for me and good being decisive - doesn't hunt at all.

This is another reason I am looking at the DA*300 as I really like everything about my DA* 60-250.

The only thing going against the 60-250 is price, but I was lucky enough to grab a new one 4 days before the April 1st super price hike - I don't know if I would want to spend $2k for the lens, but if a new one can be had for ~$1300 or less it is well worth it in my opinion.

09-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just posting to be notified of the results. I love my DA*300 but never tried the FA.
09-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I just got the DA* 300mm f/4 SDM.
So far, shootng at f/8 at very white birds (egrets and mute swams) one to two stops under exposed, I think I detect a bit of softness compared to my FA* 300mm f/4.5 shooting the same subjects, same light, at the same exposures. (I know the FA* copy is probably one of the sharpest lenses ever, but I did not expect these old eyes to be able to discern differences in sharpness)
Is this my imagination? Or, is the new lens not quite as sharp as the old one?
I LOVE everything else about the new lens. SDM is quick, quiet, and, I hope accurate.
Tripod collar is heaven sent.
Filter adjustment window in the lens hood, ditto.
I would very much appreciate any input.
Thanks.
Jack
Have you tried AF fine tuning in your camera? I use the K-5 and I adjust it to +2 when I am using my Sigma 500mm.
09-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Stan & Crew--
This lens is not as sharp as the FA*. This lens is better than the first copy I got. I am able to sharpen the image sufficiently in PS Elements, BUT I NEVER had to "sharpen" an image taken with the FA*. I am going to try to post the PS Elements sharpened image her. If I fail, I will try to post it elsewhere. I will title it "Mute Swan with DA* 300mm lens"
One last thing before we all give up on this lens: I am using it on a new K-5 body. I am going to compare my "sharpness" settings on the new body with the "sharpness" settings on my old K-5.
Because I shoot lots of birds, and relatively close, and because what sets my bird images apart (IMO) is the feather detail, I may be forced to keep "Old Trusty". Now where to get the money to keep both?
I could not post the image here. So will try elsewhere.
Jack

09-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you use the 'advanced' reply format, there is a control on the right side that lets you insert album photos in your post. It's under the smilies
Attached Images

09-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes the swan looks like it needed some PP - is that a crop?
09-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Stan & Crew--
This lens is not as sharp as the FA*. This lens is better than the first copy I got. I am able to sharpen the image sufficiently in PS Elements, BUT I NEVER had to "sharpen" an image taken with the FA*. I am going to try to post the PS Elements sharpened image her. If I fail, I will try to post it elsewhere. I will title it "Mute Swan with DA* 300mm lens"
One last thing before we all give up on this lens: I am using it on a new K-5 body. I am going to compare my "sharpness" settings on the new body with the "sharpness" settings on my old K-5.
Because I shoot lots of birds, and relatively close, and because what sets my bird images apart (IMO) is the feather detail, I may be forced to keep "Old Trusty". Now where to get the money to keep both?
I could not post the image here. So will try elsewhere.
Jack
From your previous posts I assumed you were shooting raw. If so, the sharpening adjustment in the camera will have no effect on the actual raw image - only the jpeg produced from the raw for initial viewing.

I am sure hoping you can get this issue sorted. I've seen many many images here on the forum (crewl1 included) that were absolutely tack sharp. I also look at the feather details at 2x magnification on my monitor to judge each image I take with the FA*, and I've had the same results as you with that lens as it is certainly tack sharp without any adjustments.

It is quite possible that you may need a slight AF adjustment on your K-5 to bring the lens to this level - not unheard of as we are talking about very sharp glass where everything needs to be just right.

09-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
TD--
Will do.
Seems to me there is a "sharpnedd" settng somewhere in the K-5. I can't find it. Is there one? How to get there?
09-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just saw Stan's response. I do always shoot RAW, so, while I would still like to know how to find the SHARPNESS settng, I guess I do not need it.
09-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thaks Stan.
I am going on a short trip with camera in hand.
I will post later what I found re: TD's sugestion of an AF adjustmnent.
Jack
09-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks TD. I will try it adn let you know.
Jack
09-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have posted a sharpened and unsharpened image in my album "Mute Swan...etc. I am going out of town, so can't reply as timely as I otherwise might. Thanks in advance for comments/help.
Jack
09-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the 4 way controller click the right button with the hexagon - it will show the picture settings and you can scroll down to sharpness. (S)

But as Stan mentioned this should only affect JPEG output and has no effect on RAW.
09-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Crew--
Thanks. I did find it (I knew it was there somewhere). Old camera set at "0". New camera ste at + 2, which I have changed to +1 for now.
J.
09-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Thaks Stan.
I am going on a short trip with camera in hand.
I will post later what I found re: TD's sugestion of an AF adjustmnent.
Jack
Yes it is on the vertical row on the furthest side of the camera menu. White birds such as egrets are a bit tricky to photograph. I always take extra care to adjust those whites in photoshop and the sun tends to blow the highlights out as well as increasing contrast in post processing.