Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Back from trip. Which, 300 f/4.5 or 300 f/4 is sharper is still up in the air. I was not happy with the images I brought back, but then found that some idiot sneaked into my hotel room in the dark of night and set my iso to 1600!!!
Tonight, before I discovered what the idiot did, I made a test pattern and shot a couple of shots. I think the ISO was the same for both shots. They are equally unsharp, but my problem with the f/4.0 is not at six+ feet, the distance at which these shots were made.
Now how to post them here.
I see reference to them as attachments. I hope you all can see them. "NewLens" is the f/4, "OldLens" is the f/4.5.
Let me know if you see any difference.
Thanks all for all your help.
Jack

Attached Images

09-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Aha, there they are!!!
J.
09-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
but then found that some idiot sneaked into my hotel room in the dark of night and set my iso to 1600!!!
Don't you hate it when that happens?

Your images are showing up fine, and it was great that you got them side by side on the page for a good comparison.

Since you don't have the images labeled (I'm glad you don't at this point), from what I see, I can see not difference at all between the two. Of course if we were looking at the full size image and pushed in another 100% we might see a difference, but then again, maybe not.

It looks to me like the two lenses are performing exactly the same - which is a good thing!
09-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #49
Veteran Member

So what's the verdict?

Yah or Nah on the DA* vs FA*?

09-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Stan--The jury is on its way back to the courtroom. They are looking like they are going to say that the FA* is sharper. I tried the new lens on my old K-5 today. Not as sharp as the FA*. I will do the only fair test very soon: take both cameras and both lenses to the same spot at the same time, then compare. (I have decided what I am going to do no matter the outcome of the final test: I am keeping both lenses (even if I have to take a part time job for a while.)) The reason is that I can make images from the DA* as good as the images from the FA* in PS Elements. I click on sharpen, set the amount at about 50, and voila!!!
Take care.
Jack
09-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Thanks for the update Jack.

I was seriously thinking of following the same upgrade (sidestep?) path and appreciate your sharing your results. I've thought about this a few times before, but then I take the old FA* out for a spin, and come back completely satisfied with the results. I still don't know what I am going to do......

One from today:

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 01:24 AM.
09-19-2012, 02:55 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Stan-
Nice shot. You are either expert at stealth, or these are very tame critters; I can't ever get this close.
If I had all of this to do over, knowing what I know now, I would have: sent the FA* to Pentax for sevice and cleaning; bought or have made a tripod mount; had a hole cut in the lens shade to adjust my circular polarizer from; and had money left over. The FA* is an amazing lens.
Here is one from yesterday with the DA*:
Jack

Attached Images

Last edited by pntxjack; 09-19-2012 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Typo