Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #1

Smashed distance scale lens

I was a bit sloppy today and smashed the distance scale lens on my relativly new DA* 16-50, It happened while the camera was switched off the impact was (direct hit by belt buckle) on the middle part of the scale lens and it just shattered it.

I refrained from using the camera and the lens for fear of contaminating the inner parts ( i assumed the scale lens is the sealed part and anything moving inside is vaulrnible to dust and moist).

However, I took two test shots later on and the operation of the lens/SDM is intact, now, is this distance scale lens replaceable? I presume the whole lens is air-tight and by smashing the scale lens it would compromise the function of the weather sealing, is ths true?

What are my options here? Or shall I just use silicone and cover the whole scale since I never used it?
My last resort would be ebaying the lens and get the 18-55WR.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated,

Last edited by capt_aaa; 08-24-2012 at 09:18 PM.
08-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't own this lens, but I would think that it would affect the WR of the lens. I do own the WR kit lens, 18-55. The Pentax kit lens is fine as kit lenses go, but from the pics that I've seen, the 16-50 is a better lens.
Are you afraid that the IQ of your photos would go down by switching lenses? I would rather have the 16-50 and just put tape over the broken area.
Replace the tape as it wears. Or send it to Pentax service. Or PM me, and we can work out a trade.
08-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #3

Original Poster
I stand corrected, I meant the 18-55WR.
Thanks,
08-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Make sure there are no loose bits inside and stick a bit of tape over it and it'll be fine. You've got the rear element to keep water and crap out of the camera body, they cost next to nothing on ebay if the lens does die, so keep using and enjoying it; I've bought several more lenses in the last couple of years but I still find myself going back to the 18-55 'cos it's a lens that I always have a lot of fun with.

Last edited by wildweasel; 08-24-2012 at 09:36 PM.