Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
Forum Member

What is the WR lens with the most character

After 2 trips during the summer where I had to spend days not shooting because of rain, I finally decided it is plain silly to be hiding my K-5 under my coat because I don't have a WR lens.

I am looking for one that has character - I shoot with K and CZ lenses and can't stand the flatness (IMHO) of the modern WR lenses Pentax has (including the 18-135, which I thought about long and hard many times).

Prime, zoom, focal length doesn't matter. I just want a lens which I can take out in the rain.
Anyone have any ideas of which WR lenses would give me a rendition close to the Ks.

Alternatively, is there a way to take a K and make it slightly water resistant? Maybe disassemble and add some washers or something? I am not looking for dunking it, but usable in moderate to heavy rain?

08-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by atekant Quote
Alternatively, is there a way to take a K and make it slightly water resistant? Maybe disassemble and add some washers or something? I am not looking for dunking it, but usable in moderate to heavy rain?
Cover it with a plastic bag.
08-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Cover it with a plastic bag.
I tried, it gets soggy inside out. And I also worry about rust in the old metal bodies.
Thought about the Aquatec rain shields, but I would rather spend that $150 on a lens; and still don't believe it won't get damp inside (hence rust)
08-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Definitely the DA* lenses. DA* 55 in particular has a nice 3d rendering. Bokeh is pretty much perfect at all apertures, too.

08-25-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

... I shoot with K and CZ lenses and can't stand the flatness (IMHO) of the modern WR lenses Pentax has...
For what it is worth, I shoot outdoor often incl. in rain, tropical rainstorms, near the beach and spray. I do not have any single WR lens, but several lenses which near-WR.

Among these, the VL58 (Voigtlander Nokton 58 mm f1.4) is one that does stand out. The lens is metal and I rate it as WR-like. I had not a single problem despite shooting in atrocious weather conditions in Asia and Australia. And the IQ is top-notch, outstanding.

So, for what it is worth, do not be concerned about 'WR'. For em, WR is a marketing tool. There are many pre-WR-era lenses which are as good if not better. The word of mouth was a better 'label' of quality. My pick is the VL58 among my limited collection, and I know many Pentaxians who love the VL58.

Food for thoughts...
08-25-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Among these, the VL58 (Voigtlander Nokton 58 mm f1.4) is one that does stand out.
That is great news for me, because the VL58 is already on my list to haves. Missed one a couple months ago, and will jump on one the moment I see it.
Thanks for the heads up about the water resistance of it.

/argun
08-26-2012, 01:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The DA* lenses are also very decent.

08-26-2012, 01:21 AM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

Thanks for the heads up about the water resistance of it.
/argun
Please beware that WR does not mean water resistant, but weather proof.

This is very clearly stated in all the fine prints.

My experience with the VL58 is that it is s avery sturdy lens, that I consider WR-like. But, like any lens, I would not put it deliberately in the water and I always take care (TLC) of my lenses.
08-26-2012, 02:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm familiar with the rendering of the K50/1.2 and K200/2.5, since I have them. Honestly, I can't think of any WR lenses that have similar rendering. I've also owned the K28/3.5 and K30, but even those might be hard to find a match for.

I think you really need to carefully study the PPG: PENTAX : Select a PENTAX interchangeable lens camera or a lens model

At the least, I think it's worth considering the DA*55, DFA 100 WR macro, and the DA*200. The DA*50-135 is quite good too - it's what I most often use in the rain. Actually, since none of the lenses render like the K lenses anyway, I'd say it's your #1 choice. The other 2 DA* zooms are worth considering as well.

I don't think I can speculate any further unless I can learn which specific K lenses you like.
08-26-2012, 03:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Sigma also have a few WR lenses these days
08-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Sigma also have a few WR lenses these days
In Pentax mount?
08-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Don't believe so.
these are the lenses as far as i know.

APO 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
APO MACRO 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM.
08-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Another thing to remember, it only takes one rain drop on your exterior lens face to ruin an image. So when i saw the long lens hood of the DA50-135, i knew i had a professional piece of equipment. Its my go to lens in the rain, and even without the rain, for its great rendering. Moving parts of the lens are built into a solid plastic tube, so you don't have sliding external tubes that are bringing water into the interior.

With that long hood, i can't recall any pictures in rain or snow storms that have been damaged due to drops on the exterior lens. Just don't point the lens facing up at any time :-)

I have used non-WR lenses on my K10 and K20, simply by draping a cloth over the lens body and then wringing it out once in awhile. The theory was to keep any rain drops from free standing on the lens or lens mount. And that has worked without fail, even on the Tamron 18-250 with its long sliding tubes.

Last edited by philbaum; 08-26-2012 at 09:04 AM.
08-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Another thing to remember, it only takes one rain drop on your exterior lens face to ruin an image. So when i saw the long lens hood of the DA50-135, i knew i had a professional piece of equipment. Its my go to lens in the rain, and even without the rain, for its great rendering. Moving parts of the lens are built into a solid plastic tube, so you don't have sliding external tubes that are bringing water into the interior.

With that long hood, i can't recall any pictures in rain or snow storms that have been damaged due to drops on the exterior lens. Just don't point the lens facing up at any time :-)

I have used non-WR lenses on my K10 and K20, simply by draping a cloth over the lens body and then wringing it out once in awhile. The theory was to keep any rain drops from free standing on the lens or lens mount. And that has worked without fail, even on the Tamron 18-250 with its long sliding tubes.
I took the air bag things that come in the b&h boxes, opened the ends and slid it onto my 18-250 and secured with rubber bands -- can zoom and everything. You can also get a set of cheapo OpTech rainsleeves (covers lens and body) for like 5 bucks. I don't like to shoot in the rain because I find it miserable camera or not, but a good snowfall can produce some magic...
08-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
In Pentax mount?
Do you know the model indicator for that?