Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2012, 05:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA40 + Filter + Hood: Do I need "slim" Filters?

Hi,

I'm looking to get the DA40, I want to use filters (ND, polarizer) and I would like to keep the original hood on.
By how much can I increase the distance between hood and lens before it starts to vignette? Do I need "slim" filters?
I might, on occasion, want to use a polarizer and ND-filter, will that work and am I going to need "slim" filters in that case?

I hope, you can help me out.

-Jan

08-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Do slim filters have an actual thread on the front, i don't believe so... so you cant mount the hood when using one.
08-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Provided the filter has 49mm threads on the front to attach the hood it should work. I have used a regular CPL on that lens with no sign of vignetting.
08-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I have used a regular CPL on that lens with no sign of vignetting.
I also use a normal CPL + the hood but Jan wants to use CPL + ND + hood, i doubt that will work.

08-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can do without CPL+ND+hood, if CPL/ND + hood works, I'll be fine.
I might very rarely use CPL+ND but that'll be fine without a hood.
08-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

That solution should work for sure.
08-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, you got me curious. I often use CPL plus ND when shooting waterfalls, but never with 40mm that I remember. So here is a test shot with lens + CPL + 3 UV filters + hood. There might be a bit of vignetting, or not, I am not 100% sure but it is not much if any. And that is with a total of 4 filters stacked, CPL plus three UV. So I think you will be just fine with CPL and ND.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great, I'm looking to use all my lenses with a step-down ring to 49mm for filters and further step-down rings to make compact lens hoods as far as the lenses allow without vignetting.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
OK, you got me curious. I often use CPL plus ND when shooting waterfalls, but never with 40mm that I remember. So here is a test shot with lens + CPL + 3 UV filters + hood. There might be a bit of vignetting, or not, I am not 100% sure but it is not much if any. And that is with a total of 4 filters stacked, CPL plus three UV. So I think you will be just fine with CPL and ND.
Thanks, that's good to hear.