Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which M42 Adapter For My K5?

Errr...I've been looking on-line (ebay!) for a M42 - K adapter, for my K5.

Some need a tool to remove them and other don't. Some are £5 and others are £100. Which ones are best?

The only M42 lens I have is a Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Orestor 135mm f/2.8 that I found lurking and covered in dust in my dad's house.

I'd like to give it a try (great reviews on this lens), but not break the bank (or my camera!) in the process.

Ideally, the adapter would be permanently stuck to the lens as I have no other M42 lenses.

(I do have a GX-10 to 'experiment' attaching & removing first)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

08-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Get a cheap non-flanged adapter, one of the ones that requires a tool, and remove the spring-clip. Use Loctite to permanently attach it to the lens. Cut a small slot in the base of the lens so that it engages the lens release mechanism.
08-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

That Meyer has no base to it at all -- just tapers to a screw. I have the Meyer 200 which is similar -- the regular non-flanged adapters will actually have a light leak and probably be wobbly if used normally. I used a Roxen non-flanged adapter (ebay, $8 I think), removed the locking spring, and put a big rubber washer on base of the lens and then screwed the adapter on. The washer ends up at an angle with just the edge down (the base is tapering, remember) and makes an excellent friction fit to keep everything snug on the camera body -- no locking needed.

That's a great lens -- hope it is good shape.
08-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

In the UK - and abroad - try SRB Griturn for an adapter.

Other Lenses On Pentax K Cameras

These are good quality, every bit as good st the genuine Pentax items, and SRB are reliable and fast.

If the lens you have has no 'base' then I would remove the small spring clip on the adapter, and glue the adapter onto the lens with a tiny bit of engineering Loctite Thread Lock spread LIGHTLY around the thread. That will become a more or less permanent attachment, keep any light leak out and ensure that the lens will reach infinity.

Jack the Hat Photographic

Another guy in the UK to try is Jack The Hat in Cumbria, his prices aren't bad and I've had a good experience with him.

08-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
put a big rubber washer on base of the lens
Does this rubber washer add some extra spacing in between the camera and lens?
I had a similar situation with a Piesker Picon where used a $2 flanged adapter and infinity was also ok.
08-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ultraviolet Quote
Does this rubber washer add some extra spacing in between the camera and lens?
I had a similar situation with a Piesker Picon where used a $2 flanged adapter and infinity was also ok.
No, it is completely over the mount -- it is merely to add "base" to the lens and the non-flanged adapter is really holding it on (the washer is actually slightly too small and the lens is tapering up (getting bigger) away from the mount, so it is creating downward pressure on the non-flanged adapter holding it very securely and does the same thing on the camera body even though it is just technically a friction fit. It is very secure now and didn't have to do anything permanent. I did try a very thin flanged adapter first, but lost infinity (even though the lens does go slightly past infinity, but not enough).
08-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
the washer
Nice.
where to buy one from?
08-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Hardware store, less than a buck. Just a rubber washer with a big hole.

08-30-2012, 01:34 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks to all of you for your input. I bought an adapter for £7 on Ebay & it works like a dream!

I just need some time to play with my new toy!

Cheers,

Matthew.